Getting through the early stages of MTT, and surviving the mid stages.

G

Gingerbeer86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AU
Chips
Hey guys,

I am new to the MTT higher stakes in my region, where we are playing buy ins from $500 up to $5,000.

I am actively seeking to enhance my skills, however without a network to discuss (I am pretty much a poker loner), it is difficult to bounce the below areas that I know need improvement, hence why I have decided to join here and seek out any suggestions on where to look to enhance my challenges below.

First and foremost, I have been searching the web for the best interactive / most beneficial poker course / training that is suited to the areas where I need to improve, other than the generic one fits all courses that appear to be all I am finding.

Being in Australia, it is difficult to find a poker coach or mentor, particularly when I am versing these guys on almost all major events that circulate.

If by any chance there is anyone willing to work with me, I would be more than happy to consider.

Specifically, I would appreciate:
- Where to find best one on one training?
- The best course available online or elsewhere, suiting MTT mid to high stakes Poker
- Any australian poker Players that would be interested in coaching or mentoring.

In the previous 12 months, I have played approximately 100 tournaments, won 2, Final tabled 4, Cashed in about 4 more and had a lot of early to mid departures with most departures being day 1 of multi day tournaments, other than the deep runs.

In summary, 100 tournaments, 10 cashes ~ 10% ITM

Anyhow, see below my thoughts on where I need to improve, and I would welcome any assistance that may be offered in response, and appreciate your input in advance.

Early Stages:

I am unsure how to play the early stages, as I have had variable success on every approach I have tried, whether that be tight and wait for premium hands, or widening a range and playing a little more agressively. I undersant variance has a large part to play, however I feel that the early stages is my weakest point given the results to date.

I am wondering where to look here, as no matter what approach I feel I put forward, it always seems to be that the same players make day two with average stacks or thereabouts, and I only make day 2 or ITM very rarely in comparison.

Even in the deep stack tournaments (200bb start), with 30-60min levels, I feel that I cannot keep up with the average stack and always lead to a point early on where I am feeling the pressure of blinds, or pressure from larger stacks running over the top with larger 3 bets.

So the question or requested guidance here is:
- Is it better to play tighter in the long run early on, with less hands and risking less chips on wider ranges, until a certain stack size compared to average in the early-mid levels?
- Is there an approximate balance of your starting stack, or number of bb portion that can be used for wider range play, then transition to a tighter range upon reaching a certain level of bb or % of average stack?
- How do you manage what the balance is? Using strict GTO or close to, still renders the same results on average?

Essentially, what is the best guidance for early stage MTT's, that would lead to a better success rate of reaching the early to mid stages with an average stack?

Early Mid Stages (Before Bubble)

On the odd occasions where I have surpassed the above challenges, I reach a point of having a decent stack, and this is the part where I really enjoy the game, and feel most comfortable. There is no BB pressure, a lot of the play becomes what feels "structured" and suits my game very well.
Where it falls down is the cooler or the bad beat, which I understand everyone experiences and there is no prevention, however I do believe I need to seek some improvement here.
A couple of examples of recent eliminations in this portion of the game:
QQ Vs KK (40bb)
1.5 average stack, 20% of field remaining, UTG raises, I 3 bet on the button with QQ, UTG All In. During this tank, I considered the stack size and what I would be left with if I called and lost. I would be left with 15bb and considered this to be an ok call, knowing that whilst my stack would be crippled, I could still have a chance to recover. Following this, I also considered the % chances of running up against KK or AA, and essentially it was a coin flip in my head as to whether it would be either of these two hands, Vs AX or a lower pair. Deciding to call, I was up against KK and therefore the previous 8 hours of effort and results were crippled, with an elimination a short while later.

Question: At what point is folding QQ to a pre-flop all in acceptable? Should I have considered it here?

AK Vs 44 (45bb)
Again a 1.5 Average Stack, close to the bubble, I raise pre-flop with AK on the CO, and I am called by the BB.
Flop comes AAQ, where it is checked to me. I believe my error was in checking behind, however was intending to slow play what I thought was close to the nuts. If pre-flop was raised to me, I would never have checked behind, however in this instance, being against the BB, I intended to trap or induce the bluff.
The turn was a 4, where it was again checked to me where I proceeded to place a 2/3 pot size bet, which is called.
On the river, it was an 8, and I was faced with a pot sized bet, which was half my stack, where I was holding a set of A's with the K kicker. After a small tank, hoping I was up against A(low X), I called and was greeted with pocket 4's which gave them the full house.
This was quite a devastating one for me as all I could think was why did I check the flop and not close it out then and there.

Question: Should I have folded here?, noting no 3 bet preflop and up against the BB? Secondly, was it an error checking the flop?

88 Vs AK (15bb) (GTO I believe was correct, but should I have shoved in the first few hands on a new table on day 2)

Following the above hand, the second day of the tournament I was dealt pocket 88's on the button, and was facing a 3bb raise by UTG that was folded around to me.
Noting that GTO outlines this as a shove every day of the week, I did so and was called by UTG who turned over AK. Unfortunately AQAXX was the runout and I was on my way.
I am comfortable that this instance was the right move, however thinking back, it was early on the day (First few hands) and maybe I should have waited to get a feel for the table.

Question: Should I have waited here for a later spot, or did I make the right move?

IN SUMMARY:

To summarise the above, I would really appreciate guidance on how to maximise reaching the middle stages of tournaments, so I can increase the % of play for where I believe I am most sufficient and comfortable at this stage of my skills?

Lastly, during the mid play of an MTT, at what point is it advisable to risk your tournament life, when you have a decent stack, with hands like QQ, JJ, AK and even a set of AAA after all action, similar to the scenarios above?

Thank you all

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to the forum. As for training sites or coaches, I am not able to help you. Specific hands should generally be posted in "tournament hand analysis". But as for the 3, you posted here, they were pretty much two coolers and an unavoidable "flip". So learning to not worry about such spots might be part of your training. After all the whole point of a tournament is to bust everyone but the winner, so losing is normal and expected. The only slight mistake was to not C-bet AK on the AAQ board. Normally I would suggest to play online to get more experience faster, but unfortunately that is not possible for you, because you live in Australia :(

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
From personal experience - I can’t comment on buy ins that big to begin MTTs but the only way to progress is experience. I’ve been playing for 12 years and it’s only in the last year it’s all come together for me and that’s with me living with a very experienced successful MTT player who lives and breathes poker 24/7.

The buy in, starting stack, structure all matter and my advice would be to stick to one or two variations and buy in levels - get comfortable with that before adding other variants.

You need to keep an eye on the average stack and learn to be patient, but not blind out playing to tight. Pick up on the way your opponents play spot their patterns, be aware of your own table perception and use that to your advantage- mix it up. These things however, can only be used when you are totally confident with the basics, and don’t have to think too much about your hand strengths etc. then you can focus on the bigger picture.

Know when you should be pushing, don’t bet fold constantly, be aware of position and pot odds, don’t commit yourself unnecessarily, but be aware of how much damage you could do to those that follow you especially on the bubble.

Learning to play the short stack is something that comes from experience but once you master it, it can be easier than playing large stacks. The decisions are easier that’s for sure.

AK v AA is always difficult and will be played differently at different times. If I’m on the bubble with AK sat in 10th with 21 left and 20 get a ticket, then I’m folding AK there I’ve no need to risk a guaranteed win. If I have AK and 6BB it’s always going to be a shove, but I’d fold it if it turned up as first hand in a MTT when the blinds are 10/20 and someone’s pushed 1500 all in. I don’t need to risk my tournament for 30 chips on AK when 44 has me beat.

If you play online partypoker have a new feature on PC ‘Wiz’ their AI assistant that will assess your hands and once you’ve played so many will give you a report card of your strengths and leaks and give you missions to fix your leaks. They have tons of free roll MTTs that you can get deep in and learn how to use big stacks. Alongside the AI you can get some really helpful pointers and experience.

I get the money doesn’t seem to be an issue but I’ve found being able to afford big buyins doesn’t mean the play is stronger. Micro tournaments can be a lot harder to play because the players are less experienced and have less to lose so gamble more, so getting experience in those games can give you an edge in bigger buy ins.

I don’t think there’s a course that can teach you everything because there is so much variation in play and situations, that you get a ‘sense’ of people’s patterns and leaks and that only comes with experience. Try to focus on one or two structures/speeds/starting stacks and get comfortable with those before moving on to others - ie play your deep stack turbo game at maybe 250 and 500 buy in and just stick to that format/variation. Jumping from turbos to hyper can make them seem crazy pressure :)

Good Luck

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
I'm not a tournament player, but if you want to train the earlier stages when the stacks are deep and you don't have to consider ICM play cash games.

Even nano stakes online (2-10 dollar buy-in) should be good enough training for 50-200BB deep.

If you beat cash online you will be better than 99% of Live MTT players in the early stages.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a tournament player, but if you want to train the earlier stages when the stacks are deep and you don't have to consider ICM play cash games.

Even nano stakes online (2-10 dollar buy-in) should be good enough training for 50-200BB deep.

If you beat cash online you will be better than 99% of Live MTT players in the early stages.
Unfortunately he live in Australia, and to my knowledge no sites offer real money games there, not even the unregulated ones like ACR. And suggesting him to practice on play money tables might be a bit of a stretch. But if he dont have work or family to consider, I guess, he could move to for instance Thailand for a while and practice from there :)

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Unfortunately he live in Australia, and to my knowledge no sites offer real money games there, not even the unregulated ones like ACR. And suggesting him to practice on play money tables might be a bit of a stretch. But if he dont have work or family to consider, I guess, he could move to for instance Thailand for a while and practice from there :)
You are right - some have it even worse than us Swedes.

Not that I recommend it but some play on ignition or Coin Poker with Crypto.

https://www.reddit.com/r/poker/comments/133ebv9

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not that I recommend it but some play on Ignition or Coin Poker with Crypto.
Ok seems like there are at least some options then. But definitely not as easy as opening an account on a regulated site and then deposit with your credit card. Also Ignition is an anonymous site, which in my opinion is poor for learning. In live poker you dont play against an unknown "seat 4", and making adjustments to individual opponents is part of the learning process :)

G

Gingerbeer86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AU
Chips
I have played Ignition quite a bit, however it was impacting my game due to several factors.

For instance, the MTTs I would play would start too late in the evening and to run deep would result in daylight arriving, replacing sleep with poker.

This always meant I would “blow up” and train my mind to be satisfied with where I got to in the tournament, whilst falling asleep.. not the best setup.

I did try cash games with reasonable success, however to be honest, cash games just don’t work for me as I have a full fixation on MTTs as I believe the structure, variance and requirements for constant change and adaptation to be a good challenge that I enjoy.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys,

I am new to the MTT higher stakes in my region, where we are playing buy ins from $500 up to $5,000.

I am actively seeking to enhance my skills, however without a network to discuss (I am pretty much a poker loner), it is difficult to bounce the below areas that I know need improvement, hence why I have decided to join here and seek out any suggestions on where to look to enhance my challenges below.

First and foremost, I have been searching the web for the best interactive / most beneficial poker course / training that is suited to the areas where I need to improve, other than the generic one fits all courses that appear to be all I am finding.

Being in Australia, it is difficult to find a poker coach or mentor, particularly when I am versing these guys on almost all major events that circulate.

If by any chance there is anyone willing to work with me, I would be more than happy to consider.

Specifically, I would appreciate:
- Where to find best one on one training?
- The best course available online or elsewhere, suiting MTT mid to high stakes Poker
- Any Australian Poker Players that would be interested in coaching or mentoring.

In the previous 12 months, I have played approximately 100 tournaments, won 2, Final tabled 4, Cashed in about 4 more and had a lot of early to mid departures with most departures being day 1 of multi day tournaments, other than the deep runs.

In summary, 100 tournaments, 10 cashes ~ 10% ITM

Anyhow, see below my thoughts on where I need to improve, and I would welcome any assistance that may be offered in response, and appreciate your input in advance.

Early Stages:

I am unsure how to play the early stages, as I have had variable success on every approach I have tried, whether that be tight and wait for premium hands, or widening a range and playing a little more agressively. I undersant variance has a large part to play, however I feel that the early stages is my weakest point given the results to date.

I am wondering where to look here, as no matter what approach I feel I put forward, it always seems to be that the same players make day two with average stacks or thereabouts, and I only make day 2 or ITM very rarely in comparison.

Even in the deep stack tournaments (200bb start), with 30-60min levels, I feel that I cannot keep up with the average stack and always lead to a point early on where I am feeling the pressure of blinds, or pressure from larger stacks running over the top with larger 3 bets.

So the question or requested guidance here is:
- Is it better to play tighter in the long run early on, with less hands and risking less chips on wider ranges, until a certain stack size compared to average in the early-mid levels?
- Is there an approximate balance of your starting stack, or number of bb portion that can be used for wider range play, then transition to a tighter range upon reaching a certain level of bb or % of average stack?
- How do you manage what the balance is? Using strict GTO or close to, still renders the same results on average?

Essentially, what is the best guidance for early stage MTT's, that would lead to a better success rate of reaching the early to mid stages with an average stack?

Early Mid Stages (Before Bubble)

On the odd occasions where I have surpassed the above challenges, I reach a point of having a decent stack, and this is the part where I really enjoy the game, and feel most comfortable. There is no BB pressure, a lot of the play becomes what feels "structured" and suits my game very well.
Where it falls down is the cooler or the bad beat, which I understand everyone experiences and there is no prevention, however I do believe I need to seek some improvement here.
A couple of examples of recent eliminations in this portion of the game:
QQ Vs KK (40bb)
1.5 average stack, 20% of field remaining, UTG raises, I 3 bet on the button with QQ, UTG All In. During this tank, I considered the stack size and what I would be left with if I called and lost. I would be left with 15bb and considered this to be an ok call, knowing that whilst my stack would be crippled, I could still have a chance to recover. Following this, I also considered the % chances of running up against KK or AA, and essentially it was a coin flip in my head as to whether it would be either of these two hands, Vs AX or a lower pair. Deciding to call, I was up against KK and therefore the previous 8 hours of effort and results were crippled, with an elimination a short while later.

Question: At what point is folding QQ to a pre-flop all in acceptable? Should I have considered it here?

AK Vs 44 (45bb)
Again a 1.5 Average Stack, close to the bubble, I raise pre-flop with AK on the CO, and I am called by the BB.
Flop comes AAQ, where it is checked to me. I believe my error was in checking behind, however was intending to slow play what I thought was close to the nuts. If pre-flop was raised to me, I would never have checked behind, however in this instance, being against the BB, I intended to trap or induce the bluff.
The turn was a 4, where it was again checked to me where I proceeded to place a 2/3 pot size bet, which is called.
On the river, it was an 8, and I was faced with a pot sized bet, which was half my stack, where I was holding a set of A's with the K kicker. After a small tank, hoping I was up against A(low X), I called and was greeted with pocket 4's which gave them the full house.
This was quite a devastating one for me as all I could think was why did I check the flop and not close it out then and there.

Question: Should I have folded here?, noting no 3 bet preflop and up against the BB? Secondly, was it an error checking the flop?

88 Vs AK (15bb) (GTO I believe was correct, but should I have shoved in the first few hands on a new table on day 2)

Following the above hand, the second day of the tournament I was dealt pocket 88's on the button, and was facing a 3bb raise by UTG that was folded around to me.
Noting that GTO outlines this as a shove every day of the week, I did so and was called by UTG who turned over AK. Unfortunately AQAXX was the runout and I was on my way.
I am comfortable that this instance was the right move, however thinking back, it was early on the day (First few hands) and maybe I should have waited to get a feel for the table.

Question: Should I have waited here for a later spot, or did I make the right move?

IN SUMMARY:

To summarise the above, I would really appreciate guidance on how to maximise reaching the middle stages of tournaments, so I can increase the % of play for where I believe I am most sufficient and comfortable at this stage of my skills?

Lastly, during the mid play of an MTT, at what point is it advisable to risk your tournament life, when you have a decent stack, with hands like QQ, JJ, AK and even a set of AAA after all action, similar to the scenarios above?

Thank you all
There is an Australian player living in Australia he streams on twitch and has a discord channel on discord he is TravisTPoker on twitch https://www.twitch.tv/thisisatravist--- He seems to be a very good guy you may even have played against him at some time. He would be your best resource regarding coaching in Australia that I know of.

As to early stages of MTT-they play like cash games so studying with gtowizard cash game solves may help.
:unsure::geek:

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
This is completely upside down for me. I tend to chip way the hell up early in tournaments and then bleed it off mid-game (well before bubble). It's actually one of the leaks I'm working on with a friend/coach.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
This is completely upside down for me. I tend to chip way the hell up early in tournaments and then bleed it off mid-game (well before bubble). It's actually one of the leaks I'm working on with a friend/coach.
Looks like your style suits cash games better. But mid and especially later stages should be easier to learn since the smaller stack sizes make it easier to know what the GTO play is. And the money often goes in on fewer streets than deep play.

So I think your "problem" is easier solved than if you were good at short stacks but bad at deep stacks.