Gamblers ruining poker

Perceval

Perceval

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker has always been a game about luck. Luck plays a factor for sure. But skill is always more prevelant amongst your winning pros.

Luck can only get you so far. You can get lucky and flop the world but how are you going to get max value out of it is where the skill comes in.

Picking up the small pots when you have no cards so you can gamble against a short stack is where the skill factors in.

Poker is not just a game of luck. It is about statistics, odds and percentages more so and knowing when to do certain things.

It has been that way for a while too.

How many times did you see four of a kind, straight or royal flush in real tables and how many times with pokerstars ? Stats about that will be fun :icon_king

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played poker with sons of a drug lord, it was a small tournament, you could re buy 2 times and they did like 15 times, looking at each others cards during the game, going all in almost every time and no one said a word, in the end they lost but ofc they didnt care, I was out and the game continued, so there u go, gamblers + mob members.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im with you brother!! i just dont quit because i wont put my own money into online poker. thank god for cardschat and other freeroll plays. at least they give an opportunity to play.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
~10 years of playing and you still don't understand that you want to play against bad players.

J

jbosker84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Agreement

I used to play a ton back before there was a huge FBI notice on my Full Tilt account. Recently, I decided to jump back in and deposit 30$ on BetOnline and boy did that bankroll go fast! No matter what kind of game I played, there would be multiple bad players(or gamblers) playing terrible hands and being rewarded for it. And of course, my stack got lower and lower til the blinds would force me into an all-in situation and even with the better starting hand would get knocked out before making cash.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume you are talking about freerolls. Otherwise it's rare that anyone would just casually all in with terrible hands. Also I don't think you can generalize these players as "gamblers", because bettors differ as much as poker players do.
You obviously don't play micro stakes bounty builders on PS, it is no exaggeration that there are players who will push ATC in hopes of gaining a bounty.
There are players who play more than 60% of their hands up to 90% in some cases.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You obviously don't play micro stakes bounty builders on PS, it is no exaggeration that there are players who will push ATC in hopes of gaining a bounty.
There are players who play more than 60% of their hands up to 90% in some cases.

Which is to be expected. You can easily avoid them by not playing such tournaments though.

If you decide to play micro stakes then you shouldn't be crying if some of your opponents are gonna be playing recklessly.

Krexnik

Krexnik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain when it comes to the gambling players. I've been playing a lot of turbo tournaments lately and it can be extremely frustrating. For example, fish limp 4 bet shoving all-in preflop with 40bb utg with A 10 off hitting two pair when i have Q Q taking half my stack, then 3bet shoving a short stack with 7 bb from the BTN with AQ and villian has A2 off and hits a 2 on the river... :( Had one of those nights last night where it all seemed pretty much like playing roulette or bingo. Having a few bad runs in a row and watching other players hit with anything they play can be unnerving for sure. Hate watching other people play the same hands i lose with and using the same line and winning massive pots.

I just keep telling myself it will work out more often as long as I stick with plus EV situations. Annoying though when you watch every trash hand you fold completely smash the board hitting crazy two outers and full houses.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have always said and remain by my belief that poker is more luck than skill.

Any 2 cards will often be a play employed by players who have a good idea of the range of their opponent, i agree its something you would normally see when you have the chips to do this but the key element for me is and will always be - the size of the buy in for that tourney, i see less stupid plays at higher levels, dont get me wrong i see it at that level too but far less.
Its happens regularly in rebuy tourneys as well - ive seen it pre flop and post - boards like 2cl, 5d, 6h, and a guy james 72 off for all of his stack against monsters .

Gambling players are often ones with a weak post flop game so they utilise luck as their main denominator is stack building, the same player then goes tight after gambling away and donking several players out.
I tend to stay away from these games and find favourites with less maniacs

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes there's a lot of luck in poker. Was it Hellmuth who said "if there were no luck in poker I'd win every hand" :) All you can do is get it in good and force your opponents to make mistakes.

JohnnyBoy928

JohnnyBoy928

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have any oil? I like my FISH fried! lol

I feel your stress man but this happens all the time in low stakes and some tournaments... Happens it seems ALL the TIME with online... lol Just have to adapt our game to the field and try to wait them out to bust OR! be the one to bust them out...

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very annoying to play with that type of players, but as everywhere there are people who only "bet" on the luck and not to have a strategy, but in the long term the strategy is imposed

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for sure if you play a game in order to practice the best poker, it will not be those bad beats that will stop you

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low stakes (under 10.00) buy in tournaments and freeroll tournaments have a lot of players that will put their chips all in pre flop and potentially mess up your starting stack quickly. I hate the beginning of tournaments. I find it very hard to win that first pot. You have no fold equity due to the fact that everyone has the same amount of chips. I usually go out in the first 10 hands or make it really deep. Play does get better deep even in freerolls. Idiots who gamble preflop only last so long. I guess you just really have to be either reckless and gamble for your first pot or wait for aces. I don't know the answer. When I figure it out I'll let you know.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree there are lots of loose cannons making stupid plays in the low price mtts and the freerolls. But, when you take a look at the play in the higher buy-in tournaments you just might notice a fair amount of aggression that can be quite similar to the crazy betting you're talking about. Some of the plays are players targeting what they perceived to be weaker players or big stacks bullying small stacks. But many times it's just plain old aggression. And that's something we all have to learn to deal with.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi I've played poker for maybe 10 years but I'm seriously thinking about quitting due to these gamblers, I have seen players opening with garbage hands and hitting monsters. Going all in with absolutely nothing etc and hitting,getting lucky, You play these hands when your're way ahead, You know what I mean and then get ****** on the river. Although, I agree that in the long run these players will not take down big tournaments and big prizes playing this loose and bad but I'm just sick of getting these bad beats,when you meet these players and get ****** because of the rng just decides to flop these players these hands. I mean I've seen pros getting kicked out early in tournaments by a new player. So the questing is, is poker just a game of luck? Nowadays I believe that is the case.

Your mentality is completely around the wrong way. If you take all the 'gamblers' out of poker there are less weak players and the game will die. As much as it hurts getting bad beaten or sucked out on, it is part of the game. In the long run you will win if you keep getting it when you are ahead. The best way to mentally accept this is to play with a correct bankroll.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One individual game of poker is a game of luck, but combine all of the games of poker that one plays over their career, and luck is hardly a factor, provided they have a decent amount of games played.

As tilting as it is to play perfectly and lose to someone playing terribly, particularly if it's at a live event that you've set aside time for, remind yourself that one unlucky game is a drop in the bucket. There will be many more donk losses, but for every one of those games there will be one where you hit a lucky draw, and countless more where you have the opportunity to outplay someone to win; all that really matters is how you perform in those games in the long run.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Their a lot of gamblers in poker now but to beat them I think it's about volume and consistency. If you're playing against loose players then you just need to tighten your game and avoid over-bluffing. Just play more hands and pay attention to what they're doing while adapting to it.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling