Freerolls seems to favour large stack a lot, i feel

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alot of the times I Late reg. because of all the wild all inns. I shove if i get AK or AA because i know i am behind. But then the large stack player calls or raise pre flop with anything and ends up with flush or low straight. The large stack is not even that large with him losing he would be in real trouble chip stack wise. This happens about 4/5 times to me.(i know its against differrent players but it feels unreal). Am I just not patient enough?

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alot of the times I Late reg. because of all the wild all inns. I shove if i get AK or AA because i know i am behind. But then the large stack player calls or raise pre flop with anything and ends up with flush or low straight. The large stack is not even that large with him losing he would be in real trouble chip stack wise. This happens about 4/5 times to me.(i know its against differrent players but it feels unreal). Am I just not patient enough?

It is perfectly normal for big stacks to call your all in with almost any playable hand. Now if you lose with AA 4/5 times that is not normal. However, AK is not a huge favorite if the opponent has neither Ace or a King. Perhaps you should enter the tournament early on and avoid it..

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game does not favour the large stacks, if this happened 4/5 times it’s just a run of bad luck

vra4a

vra4a

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In case of late registration, you are an outsider
normally a big stack to try his luck with loto hands :D

especially in the freeroll

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it’s just variance but I understand how you feel. You can watch a guy push almost every hand so you wait him out until you get a premium hand and push. He ends up calling you with essentially garbage and gets there. It almost seems unfair. You will eventually even out on those and have a huge stack to run to the final table! Stay patient my friend!!!

D

DamocValentin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't do late registration because you stand no chance. Thw players will always take advantage on the vulnerable ones

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is perfectly normal for big stacks to call your all in with almost any playable hand. Now if you lose with AA 4/5 times that is not normal. However, AK is not a huge favorite if the opponent has neither Ace or a King. Perhaps you should enter the tournament early on and avoid it..

On a sample of only 5 hands it's more common then you'd think. Variance is really bad, especially in MTT's.

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning a tournament needs at least a little luck most of the times. But for losing you just need one bad beat.
Keep going you wont have bad luck forever.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is probably just variance as others have mentioned but there are times where I see it a lot and it feels as if it happens to me a lot. I play many freerolls as well and this will happen but you need not be discouraged and continue to try to get your money in good.

I used to think I was getting bad beat all the time on pre flop all ins so what I started doing was tracking it. I would write down what I had and what I was called with on pre flop all ins and than later looking it up in an odds calculator. I have kept a total of these hands and you will find you will run almost right at expectation (I am about 1000 hands of tracking right now). Once you see over time that you don't run bad, you will not be discouraged from making the right play pre flop with a huge hand in a freeroll.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Worrying about the RNG is just a distraction. I have been on plenty of final tables, which dragged out and tested my patience, because the shortest stacks kept on getting lucky and dubbling up.

B

brazilpescador

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

honestly, I believe that many players have the same feeling. but in the end you are one day the guy with the big stack and you end up maybe doing it with someone, maybe you don’t pageu the crazy hands that other big stack pay but in the end we’re at the mercy of the site we’re playing and can’t do anything but theorize about that subject

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is also worth nothing, that as stacks get really short, the player in big blind can call with more and more hands, and eventually with any two cards. This is because, he is closing action, and there is "dead chips" in the pot from the blinds and antes, which mean, he is getting a significant discount. So if you have allowed your stack to drop to just a few blinds, you should not be surpriced and neither mad, when big blind lock you up with some very speculative holding such as 82 offsuit. He is actually just playing mathematically correct poker, and sometimes he will get lucky and bust you, which is neither unfair or sign of a rigged poker site.

P

pohewa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Deep stacking mean more resources to gather more resources, does that makes sense? like the saying goes, it takes money to make money. The more you have, the more you can make. Regardless of freerolls imo.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The options are to either register at the start and try to become that big stack player or late register to be closer to the payouts but you'll need to hope your big hands hold up. If there's one player with a huge stack they will be raising every hand and picking up most of the blinds getting everyone to fold. Enough of those and they will be happy to call an all in from short stacks, in fact it's probably the right thing to do. Of course the problem with early registering is that there's a very good chance you will be out of the game early.

A freeroll I play every day follows the same pattern. The thing I noticed is that I rarely see the same player with a big stack. So this proves some of these players get lucky on the lotto early stage and carry that through. My view on these kind of freerolls is that I would rather late register and accept a min cash for nothing.

Late registration is a fairly recent thing. Back in the early days of online poker it wasn't used. Maybe they should go back to that, especially for freerolls.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest, I hate late registration and it will be perfect, if there is not or to be very little, but these are the realities.:D The best advice I think here is to play the tournaments from the very beginning and to avoid the late registration, because the circumstances after that - we know all of them perfectly and you have described them very exactly.

But about your question if you have to be more patient in these occasions - I don't think so, you did the right thing, but as I said these are the disadvantages of playing tournaments with late registration - unpredictable situations, very big blinds, too many people on your table with huge stack and will call you with everything. The best tip is - start from the beginning.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it happened to me several times and until today it happens I also wanted to know k why is this happening? I play straight and very safe, I play only in position and with top cards I am aggressive in my naive actions always appear crazy players with marginal hands and I end up chipping with the attitudes of this player at the table even though I know I have a good hand crazy and ends up hitting the tunner or the river! remembering that this is not only in the Freerolls but in the micro limits.

Freeroll Passwords