From freerolls to mid-stakes tournament

C

Comtee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everybody,

I started to play poker again few weeks ago and my aim is to start from scratch with freerolls to build my bankroll and then go for 1$/2$ tournament to finally go for mid-stakes tournament (if possible). I play 4 times a week and I have very little knowledge with equity, outs calculations and positions but I am learning.

Do you have any advice on poker sites, materials to read ?
Did you ever tried this kind of adventure ?

S

Salteballe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you the Pokio poker is the real money play! They have MTT and freeroll, as well as cash game. It is really simple to deposit money and withdraw money in Pokio!
Check out the download link below!
https://tinyurl.com/pokiomcc02

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/members/trent32la/
Trent has done it, starting from freerolls and grinding up to 100k!!! One of the amazing people I've ever met, I really recommend him as a coach if you hit 5.5$ tournament stake and stay there for a while (really necessary, so you dont waste your time and money when you cant fully capitalize on his abilities to play in non standard way). Currently it would be very hard to replicate that as games got MUCH harder, though given party poker overlays i think the dream got revived to some degree.
Best advice would be to find like minded, extremely motivated players, who would climb the stakes with you, sharing knowledge and observations along the way.

Good Luck!

currently im coming out of retirement ( was absent for pretty much 2 years) and will do a lot of bankroll challenges, you can follow my progress along the way. Will post a lot of hands in the thread. Not trying to promote or anything, just hope looking at some hands will help you to grow along the way.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/pok...s-46/nl2-challenge-profit-target-50-a-437083/

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everybody,

I started to play poker again few weeks ago and my aim is to start from scratch with freerolls to build my bankroll and then go for 1$/2$ tournament to finally go for mid-stakes tournament (if possible). I play 4 times a week and I have very little knowledge with equity, outs calculations and positions but I am learning.

Do you have any advice on poker sites, materials to read ?
Did you ever tried this kind of adventure ?

For me pokerstars is the best site to Play online poker.
If you want to climb to higher stakes without going broke, you Need to have a good Bankrollmanagement. My advice would be 100xbuy-in which means if you have 100$, 1$ should be your highest buy-in. If you think this is too conservative, you could go for 50xbuy-in.
I think mid stakes are from 20-50$ buy-in, so you would Need a bankroll from at least 2.000-5.000 to Play them regularly (according to the 100x) !!
grinding to a 5k bankroll starting with freerolls will take A LOT of time if you are a recreational Player. At least 1-2 years or longer unless you run really really good and win a huge Tournament. Just Keep that in mind and don't give up after 2-3 months ;)

cardschat and 2+2 are good boards to get some good advice for free.
If you have no idea About equity, odds, positions (all 3 are really Basics), then I would strongly recommand you to read some books. Nothing Special, just some MTT books (Harrington on Holdem, Brunsons Super System, Sklansky,...).
I really liked Kill Phil(for Beginners) and Kill Everyone (advanced) from Lee Nelson as a read.

once you get the Basics like odds, equity, positions, sizing,... you should get familiar with ranges and push/fold Charts. you can find those stuff for free by just searching for it on Google.

and once again, you won't be able to learn all those Things within a few days/weeks/months. this will be a Long Progress where you might learn something new even after years of playing.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As advice to improve I recommend you, what the great majority will tell you sees many hands-on YouTube analyzed by experts, the PS school is very good in its hand analysis classes and I recommend you read the posts all the time in The forum about hand analysis in STT, MTT or Cash and plays a lot the experience is essential.
With the second question, It's not my case but I know that many people try, many have achieved the only thing you need is patience and perseverance and some luck.
I wish you the best and that you can get what you are looking for

C

Comtee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Trent has done it, starting from freerolls and grinding up to 100k!!! One of the amazing people I've ever met, I really recommend him as a coach if you hit 5.5$ tournament stake and stay there for a while (really necessary, so you dont waste your time and money when you cant fully capitalize on his abilities to play in non standard way). Currently it would be very hard to replicate that as games got MUCH harder, though given Party poker overlays i think the dream got revived to some degree.
Best advice would be to find like minded, extremely motivated players, who would climb the stakes with you, sharing knowledge and observations along the way.

Good Luck!

currently im coming out of retirement ( was absent for pretty much 2 years) and will do a lot of bankroll challenges, you can follow my progress along the way. Will post a lot of hands in the thread. Not trying to promote or anything, just hope looking at some hands will help you to grow along the way.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/pok...s-46/nl2-challenge-profit-target-50-a-437083/

Thank you for the support feisas7991 ! I also think it is hard but I really don't want to invest any money from my own pocket (it's my rule n°1) and this is the beauty of the challenge as I see it. I would like to be coached from time to time but I don't know who to ask and I don't have friends that are really into poker..

C

Comtee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me PokerStars is the best site to Play online poker.
If you want to climb to higher stakes without going broke, you Need to have a good Bankrollmanagement. My advice would be 100xbuy-in which means if you have 100$, 1$ should be your highest buy-in. If you think this is too conservative, you could go for 50xbuy-in.
I think mid stakes are from 20-50$ buy-in, so you would Need a bankroll from at least 2.000-5.000 to Play them regularly (according to the 100x) !!
grinding to a 5k bankroll starting with freerolls will take A LOT of time if you are a recreational Player. At least 1-2 years or longer unless you run really really good and win a huge Tournament. Just Keep that in mind and don't give up after 2-3 months ;)

cardschat and 2+2 are good boards to get some good advice for free.
If you have no idea About equity, odds, positions (all 3 are really Basics), then I would strongly recommand you to read some books. Nothing Special, just some MTT books (Harrington on Holdem, Brunsons Super System, Sklansky,...).
I really liked Kill Phil(for Beginners) and Kill Everyone (advanced) from Lee Nelson as a read.

once you get the Basics like odds, equity, positions, sizing,... you should get familiar with ranges and push/fold Charts. you can find those stuff for free by just searching for it on Google.

and once again, you won't be able to learn all those Things within a few days/weeks/months. this will be a Long Progress where you might learn something new even after years of playing.

Thank you Veritas for your great advices ! I am currently playing on PS. I am learning all this things but it takes a long time to apply them indeed. I am watching Dans la tête des pros on Winamax channel and they talk with a lot of technical words but I begin to understand what they mean ^^. My final aim is to play 20$ buy-in regularly (maybe 50$ if I learn quickly). Thank you for the books I will take a look at them !

C

Comtee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you guys have any suggestions about third part software ? Replay, HUD, trackers...

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd watch some Doug Polk videos on youtube. He's really beneficial when it comes to learning poker and is a good guide.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's a lot of free stuff, Jonathan Little comes to mind! I'm gonna start a similar thread once I win a freeroll & get some loot! GL!

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's really amazing about Trent, wish you could cite the thread though, if any. Really inspirational! Thanks!
Trent has done it, starting from freerolls and grinding up to 100k!!! One of the amazing people I've ever met, I really recommend him as a coach if you hit 5.5$ tournament stake and stay there for a while (really necessary, so you dont waste your time and money when you cant fully capitalize on his abilities to play in non standard way). Currently it would be very hard to replicate that as games got MUCH harder, though given Party poker overlays i think the dream got revived to some degree.

Good Luck!

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
aggressive to acquire knowledge of a poker

It's to become aggressive to acquire knowledge of a poker.

That's most important.

Aldorabe

Aldorabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's hard to start from scratch good luck in your game

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I advise you to listen to an audio book, Daniel Kahneman think slowly ... decide quickly ... !!!

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have such an adventure all the time ))). I win a few dollars in a Freeroll, then I play a 2.20$ tournament, if I lose then I play freerolls again, if I win then I continue to play tournaments for 2.20$. In the last time somewhere month ago I so won 240$, became play tournaments for 16,50$ and all lost.
From freerolls to medium tournaments, it's real.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Gordon Green Book. Simple poker math. Esteem and good luck in the game.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found that "the theory of poker" is pretty useful.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm trying to do this too. I'm on ACR and at $250 now but it's taken way too long :)

Freeroll Passwords