Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
there are lots of things you can learn even in freerolls.

The only good thing about Freerolls is that it will test your love for poker because the bad beats are unbelievable. Approach freerolls with low expectations.lol
KKKKKK
Truth has a lot to learn from freerolls, just separate the strategies

While the bad beats this happens in any tournaments more reason is that freerol happen with more frenquencia besides the love server also for patience and the nerves

Aristodemus_

Aristodemus_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just different, and playing different type games helps to improve your play. I like freerolls but your competition will approach them in a care free attitude early on, after that people will play seriously.

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is. really excessive play in freerolls adversely affect the progress in the game, if the person is no longer new to poker. Because there the level of the game is very low, and you have to adjust to the game of fish swimming there. It is necessary to increase the BR as quickly as possible and quickly forget the freerolls, like a bad dream.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Realize that freerolls are there own separate type of poker. When you play $1 tourneys, you won't play them the same way as $100 tourneys. You want to figure out what your baseline strategy is, and then adjust to the field you are playing in. You need to recognize if what you are doing is to exploit your opponents or simply solid poker strategy.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not play freerolls...
only here in our club..
it's like sex with a rubber woman... it looks like the same thing - but the effect is different..)))
:star:

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you feel freerolls are affecting you because of a lot of players, or people how like to jam on early levels?

That's what comes with freerolls. Some people feel that they have nothing to lose, so they will make questionable plays. You have to adjust. It sucks, but that's how it is.

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is about counter strategy. You have your base strategy but you must adapt based on the table dynamic. If you become stubborn and refuse to adapt, you will lose. You must be able to identify the patterns in your opponents and exploit them.

Freerolls have a different dynamic than low stakes different than mid stakes. But the process of identifying player patterns, hand reading, and adapting strategy is necessary at all levels.

Most importantly, take notes on your opponents!!

Last edited:
Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Realize that freerolls are there own separate type of poker. When you play $1 tourneys, you won't play them the same way as $100 tourneys. You want to figure out what your baseline strategy is, and then adjust to the field you are playing in. You need to recognize if what you are doing is to exploit your opponents or simply solid poker strategy.

Do you feel freerolls are affecting you because of a lot of players, or people how like to jam on early levels?

That's what comes with freerolls. Some people feel that they have nothing to lose, so they will make questionable plays. You have to adjust. It sucks, but that's how it is.

I have the same impression

Poker is about counter strategy. You have your base strategy but you must adapt based on the table dynamic. If you become stubborn and refuse to adapt, you will lose. You must be able to identify the patterns in your opponents and exploit them.

Freerolls have a different dynamic than low stakes different than mid stakes. But the process of identifying player patterns, hand reading, and adapting strategy is necessary at all levels.

Most importantly, take notes on your opponents!!
After I posted this topic my perception changed a lot, I started to put the tips in practice and my game improved a lot like in freerolls and in paid tournaments

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll often criticized and called waste of time, which only leads to the emergence of bad poker habits. But in the question of habits, the player himself is more guilty and they depend more on the level of self-control, and not on what you play. And if you want to devote yourself to tournament poker in the future, then freerolls can be called the best free school for playing MTT. Of course, you should not only try to win the first dollars for your bankroll in them, but also try to apply theoretical knowledge and develop the necessary skills when playing the game.

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to not just play freerolls. Mix them in with some micro buy in games

Also, not all freerolls are created equal. The CC daily freeroll is more like a normal 1 dollar buy in game. I don't think I am alone when I say that I think the CC freeroll is by far the best freeroll available to us US players.

And you'd better know for sure if it is the freerolls messing up your progress and play or if it is something else. If it is not the cause of your problem, then trying to fix the problem by not playing freerolls is not going to help at all; you will still have the problem and are likely to create new ones by trying to fix something that isn't broken.

One thing that I find usually helps me when I feel like I am getting complacent or not playing up to standards is to watch others play while getting to see the hole cards exposed. It can be just some old online videos, or re watching some of the PS million dollar sunday games when they replay the final tables. Either way, I always feel like that helps me get out of my own head and back into the mindset of the skilled, confident poker player that I feel I have the potential to be on a consistent basis; specifically, it can help you realize how certain types of players are prone to behave, like what size and type of betting they frequently engage in, what ranges they prefer and when, and what patterns and mistakes they make when taking certain lines.
Mostly agree with this. But also in the CC freeroll you'll see crazy stuff like preflop allins 3way with Q8o vs 87s and A9o.

After about half an hour of play it plays mostly like a micro.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a lot of freerolls, but when I play with much more patience, the big cards only play until I see the flop, and if the risk is too high, I fold these cards.

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are played very loosely. You have to prevent yourself from getting sucked into playing all tournaments that way.

A

AxelJPB77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Differences

Each tournament is different. Better enjoy them, you always learn something new.
;)

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of players do not treat freerolls seriously and will go all in with the likes of 72 or 83.If you must play freerolls the ones on Cardschat are the best you will get.:):):)

R

Richdublin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think what everyone is saying is first focus on learning what type of game best suits u, then develop a style of play that best suits ur persona. Freeroll are excellent at helping u grow and achieve this. The key is that it is free so no risk and u have to learn to ignore the bad play ect learn to instead exploit it

M

Mustafajones

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the financial ability to do other tournaments then don't freeroll. You could also look at freerolls as a place to test different strategies that doesn't cost you money.

Once you get to mid level of freerolls it may help you to better pick up how people are playing and the flow of the table you are on. Maybe changing perspectives might change how you are currently viewing freerolls.

Best of luck!

S

SatisfyMe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use Freerolls to your advantage by not taking it so serious because a lot of times you have no control on how the cards come out. If you get all your chips in with the best hand, then you did your part and have no control on the outcome.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to approach each game or table according to your opponents . When playing freerolls you know the play is going to be pretty loose . You have to adjust your game just like if you were at a cash table and the play was loose . Also you will see play tighten up later in freerolls and you need to adjust again . It is actually very good for developing your game . Learn to make the adjustments and when .

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that this means that the freerolls have helped you and you began to understand that now ready to move on to the tournaments with Bain. Over time you will realize that the level of play at the micro-Bains prevents you from growing in poker, then you go to the middle-Bains. I play micro-Bains playing I tournament for 55cents I realized that the level of the game there below mine, and I started playing tournaments at 3.30 Someday I will understand that I can comfortably irat Bains more.

DieCosta

DieCosta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think more than that is your problem energy if you play a lot freeroll you play against a lot a bad player they are very unpredictable and confusing your game

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, freerolls need a different strategy, generally you have to go to the safe if you are looking to get to the winning places, although you should also think about uploading your chips at the beginning if you play in MTT

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limit freerolls to as small of a field as possible..

Crazy, huge freerolls, ACR on-demand, or jackpot freerolls, the risk/reward is so skewed towards all-ins, risky moves your real, intrinsic game will suffer badly if you play them exclusively.

Free-rolls that are smaller(fewer than 200), like Cardschat, it doesn't take hours and hours to minnow the field, get down to real poker.

Play the huge freebies for what they are, not serious poker.
Smaller freebies will have more serious players, who know what it takes, they know they don't have to go all-in, take chances EVERY hand. Because you have to concentrate to beat these better players, it will help your overall game, live and tourney.

Play it as you like, it is a free world. Best of Luck

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has been said, but chiming in to agree poker is all about adapting - the high variance and frequent suckouts are more due to the super ultra mega turbo structure of the game; you should be happy to be playing against so many fish and be grateful every time they call your KK shove with Q4o even if they suck out.

Last edited:
M

Moabs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately I have played many freeroll tournaments and I feel that because I am playing a lot of freerolls this is hindering my evolution in why I wonder if it's the same with you? And how can I play freeroll without disturbing my evolution in my game? Anyone have tips?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
i would reccommend playing the sponsored freerolls, they are likely to have better players in them which will keep your game tighter than playing with the reg freeroll donkeys

Freeroll Passwords