Freeroll strategy

S

skribl777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So, features freerolls: 1. It is A lot of participants. 2. A small prize fund. 3. A considerable quantity of bad players. 4. Simple and effective strategy of game.

The most suitable style of game on freerolls (and in general on all tournaments where many bad players) are tajt-agressiv. We wait a good card and we enter considerable raise, we check chip flop if there is a possibility with a mediocre card, having caught what or a combination is played it aggressively, except for some moments. In general all is simple, but is effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jamieace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those 2700 freerolls, but there's a few of them out there that aren't so tedious. Be on the lookout for Turbo Freerolls, which pop up every once in a while, and the private freerolls are where its at.

J

jaypeaisbored

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Serendipity nailed it

In freerolls I push heavy after people settle from the first two to three hands of all-in play. Start out big to give yourself a better position as the numbers dwindle.

Q

quincyhawk99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No holdem

I love playing Hold em, and i think that is my best game, but the only freerolls i ever seem to cash in are the horse and Omaha PL. What is the best way to start cashing in hold em?

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take the time to study the game. There is all kinds of strategies out there for freeroll tounaments. Find them, and tweak those to fit your style. This site has some great references to them.

LightningRod

LightningRod

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to raise early and often. I'm not afraid to lay down if I know I'm beat and I'm not afraid to call an overbet. I have cashed in several freerolls.

D

Dertaderp23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Public freerolls are just plain crazy. Unless your LUCKY enough to make it to the final 100 is when the play actually gets good. The first hour if not more or full of donkeys. Yes, we all have a little bit of donkey blood in us but not like some of the crazy poker players out there. Personally, I just love when you get lucky enough to sit at a cash game with one of these donks that are new and decided to deposit and put their whole bankroll on one table.

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the hardest part of freerolls is getting past the first 30mins. if u do, and play solidly and your hands hold up, u might have a chance.

R

robrtp

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is it really that hard to make it past the first 30 if you play tight?

Insanity

Insanity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, yes it is that hard at times unless u are on a luck streak and then u rack up in the first thiry minutes because of the all-in donks. lol They will make u or break u in the first thiry minutes to an hour.

XPOKERCHIC

XPOKERCHIC

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
While the blinds are low in a freeroll is the best time to limp unless you are faced with an all--inner. I play a lot of freerolls where the all-inners get so lucky it is ridiculous. I sit a wait for a fighting hand to lose to a lesser hand. I waited patiently for a monster and flopped trips to lose to the traditional runner runner flush. X

T

tdude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very good points. in the 2700 people freerolls i have only made the money in the omaha and horse ones. i finnished in the top 40 before in razz. you are right, people just do not know how to play these, so if you have a good idea how to play these smart, the non holdem ones are great

C

Chamaican666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The holdem ones arnt bad either, cuz even tho many ppl know how to play it. They dont know how to play it well. The 2700 Freerolls are a joke and ive made ITM a few times, they also had a 12K person one and i came in 45th. Those freerolls are very easy to beat, just play solid and gradually become more agressive and loose towards the end. I must say tho, making the Final Table on those is difficult.

G

goianimm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Worse than that is true, playing freeroll, style Razz and Omaha is much more easily achieve ITM ... Why many people do not have the slightest idea of playing styles such profitably. Hold is more for those with banking, that style of freeroll holdem is almost a cold

M

mundybags1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that some freerolls have good value that deserve better play than just trying to double up in the beggining and then play tight. there is a 10k freeroll in march on fortune that i see today that i might play in and see how i can do.

Bengals_Boy

Bengals_Boy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For most freerolls i see that people are recomending tight play in the begining and looser in the ends. However I got another opinion. Playing loose in the begining definetely pays u off simply because there are lots of fishes. Playing an 87s would work quite well if u hit straight or a flush, and maybe even trips. The fishes would feel strong by having pair of kings and ship half of their stacks to u. I recomend limping and slow playing in the begining as fishes would tend to trap themselves easily.
I have a theory ive been testin and got me to the money,I like to play a lttle loose in the beginning,I would rather go out in the beginning than spend 3 hour in it the loose.Its a freeroll and the odds are greatly stacked against u.U will her people say wit on premiem hands,QQ,KK,AA,but lets face the facts,these just dont come every three hands.I play hands that i would play when im deeper in the tourney.I dont think the real tourney starts till after the second break,95% of fishsticks will be gone.I wouldnt play the same hand sas i would in beggining as i would in later stages of tourney.What im tryin to say is id rather go out in 2,000 place compared to 300th,then uve got all the time invested.If i get a decent stack early i will tighten up and then wait on the premiem hands.Im not saying to shove early with nething,but see some cheap flops.The more chips you have,the more time u can wiat for the hands we want.Patience is one of the most important factors in mtts.I play aggresive for the first 15 min or so then i tighten up.ONLY in Freerolls,i would not do this is real money table.

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please do not read any further on the Chip up Early strategy if you:
  • Are a poker purist who could never make a stupid donk move
  • Would hate to be one of those freeroll donks that goes all in with 2 7
  • Want to kill people that go all-in first hand of an MTT freeroll
  • Are playing freerolls to gain knowledge and insight to use on the money tables
If you are still reading this, then you are probably a freeroll donk. Detested by the poker purists, you have decided to win freeroll money the best way you know how - donking!

First, let me defend the chip up early strategy by saying that you cannot play poker with the goal of making friends. You must have a goal in mind, and do whatever it is that helps you best attain that goal. This means playing like a stupid donk in big field freerolls.

The Chip up Strategy

Most freeroll guides will tell you to play tight in the beginning. This is very bad advice, because there are many, many, many easy chips available in the beginning. And, we are not really interested in playing in a freeroll unless we are one of the chip leaders. So, how do we insure that we are always a chip leader?

By downloading 5-10 poker rooms, you can assure that you have a several freerolls to play every hour. Plan out a timetable of all the freerolls, and get to donking! That's right, go all-in several times within the first 10 minutes. You will get called, don't worry. Most of these you will lose (lose only a few minutes of time that is, no money), but a few you will double/triple up. With those few, stay aggressive until you have curtailed your tournaments to the 2-5 that you can handle. Now tighten up and enjoy your status as one of the chip leaders. We are only going to play large field freerolls when we have a better shot at winning. This is to save on our only investment - time.

You will be hated. You will be called a donk. But, you will find that your money won/time spent ratio has increased dramatically.

Great, response. I think you make some impressive points that every player should think about. The issue is that most freerolls attract horrible play, turning people into monsters for 15 minutes and not actually thinking about their game. Every game is strategy. And, every player should beable to see consistency in their game no matter what the stakes are. Yes, even freerolls. What you have to remember is that it is the same game, just different numbers and players.

FEARFACTOR

FEARFACTOR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Serendipity. There are so many easy chips to be had early. I will call the inevitable allins with marginal hands. If you lose, then big deal, you've only lost 5 minutes of your time. If you get lucky, great. Then you start trapping, still very easy money. Then when you have a big stack, you just play your normal game. When you get close to the bubble, tighten up against bigger stacks. Once you're in the money, loosen up again. I know this strategy is known by most players, but it works well for me. I'm sure alot of excellent players get called donks in the early going just because, hey, it's a freeroll and they don't really care.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please do not read any further on the Chip up Early strategy if you:
  • Are a poker purist who could never make a stupid donk move
  • Would hate to be one of those freeroll donks that goes all in with 2 7
  • Want to kill people that go all-in first hand of an MTT freeroll
  • Are playing freerolls to gain knowledge and insight to use on the money tables
If you are still reading this, then you are probably a freeroll donk. Detested by the poker purists, you have decided to win freeroll money the best way you know how - donking!

First, let me defend the chip up early strategy by saying that you cannot play poker with the goal of making friends. You must have a goal in mind, and do whatever it is that helps you best attain that goal. This means playing like a stupid donk in big field freerolls.

The Chip up Strategy

Most freeroll guides will tell you to play tight in the beginning. This is very bad advice, because there are many, many, many easy chips available in the beginning. And, we are not really interested in playing in a freeroll unless we are one of the chip leaders. So, how do we insure that we are always a chip leader?

By downloading 5-10 poker rooms, you can assure that you have a several freerolls to play every hour. Plan out a timetable of all the freerolls, and get to donking! That's right, go all-in several times within the first 10 minutes. You will get called, don't worry. Most of these you will lose (lose only a few minutes of time that is, no money), but a few you will double/triple up. With those few, stay aggressive until you have curtailed your tournaments to the 2-5 that you can handle. Now tighten up and enjoy your status as one of the chip leaders. We are only going to play large field freerolls when we have a better shot at winning. This is to save on our only investment - time.

You will be hated. You will be called a donk. But, you will find that your money won/time spent ratio has increased dramatically.

Go all in several times early with what??

Some of the worst advice ever!!! Lets just go all in and see if we get lucky?!?!?!

Play tight aggressive, use your postion to your advantage. Chip up that way. If you watch the leader board in most big online tournaments you will see a few players with huge stacks early using the quoted advice above. These players are usually not around by the first or second break. You need to pick your spots and your battles. Build that stack, and continue to build it. Find out who the Donkeys are early. Avoid trying to bully them and avoid being in big pots with them, unless you have the goods. If you have the goods, bet into them like crazy, they will pay you!!! The longer you are around for the bubble, the better your chances are. If you haven't been able to chip up yet, when the bubble is near it's your time. The blinds are worth stealing at this point and it's time to move from TAG to LAG. You don't need to risk your whole stack to steal blinds either, usually a standard 3x or 4x raise will take care of stealing at this point. pick on the medium sized stacks, the little ones might fire all in on you. From there your stack is in pretty good shape for the road to the FT!!! good luck everyone!!!

JaBone30

JaBone30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no strat. to FR its just about survival in FTP 2700. There is a lot of threads on this and they mostly say the same thing play agg. pass. for 1 hr, then u can play normal.

P

PuffinNugs420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i totally agree

a lot of those ppl playing in the non holdem freerolls are ppl just learning the gm. i know when i first started playing online, i played in all of em just to learn the ins and outs of all the gms./

Steelehustlen

Steelehustlen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive Done Well In A Few But I Like to Play way Agressive At First Play Premium Hands But Switch Up you PLay Bet High When You HIt Make It Look LIke A bluff And Then SHip your CHips All IN IF you THink you have The Nuts!! Most of the TIme the fish will swim right into your net!!!!!!!!

dropdead1

dropdead1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy at the moment in the freerolls is to use them as a testing ground. I come here and read articles and posts etc and then go and see what would work best for me on the freeroll tables, whereas before my game was all over the place. I am starting to feel a bit more grounded on the poker tables now.

So I'm not sure if there is a strategy to playing freerolls, but using them to improve my personal strategy seems to be working at the moment. My game has def. upped a notch or 2.