Passive play
only steady cards, and avoiding a game all-in

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Being loose passive can be very lucrative by hitting the flop. Just pay allin with AA, KK, QQ, other than fold. This is basically the strategy I try to apply. My tendency is to hit the flop.
NEVER BLUFF.​

silvermits

silvermits

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
:ciao::ciao::ciao: hello to all from Greece!!!

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think playing tight in the beginning is the best option. It has value to maintain this style until the intermediate period, since we have many inexperienced players. Already in the late game, I like to show all my skill because they tend to be more frightened (happy to have gone far)

kolyasik77777

kolyasik77777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm waiting for a good map and include aggression when I get it, you can go all - in.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Push With TPTK hands early

I've noticed that if you get it in of the flop, turn or river with TPTK and better hands that you get callers with middle pairs and drawing hands. After you build a stack just tighten up and pick your spots and coast to your ticket.

D

dantur001

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play less aggressive as the tournament goes on

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never ever bluff in the early stages of the tournament. Play tight aggressive early then loosen up as the tournament progresses.

A

arandom53

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy for most free rolls is the same.I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to play with a bunch of new players for a pretty small payout. I prefer to try and build a stack early or just bust and move on.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is important to have patience and play strong hands at the very beginning. try not to bluff in large banks. weak players often fall into 2 pairs with garbage and will chase you on every street and not discard their cards. they need to believe. play aggressively with a good hand. and the mostthe main thing is your discipline and calm. patience. This is what often allows me to enter prizes and even the final table.

JCuervo

JCuervo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play as if you will expect to lose because it's likely you will for the first couple of hours if there is a large field. If you can last until you're close to the money then you may want to adjust your game dependent upon the play at your particular table. Play enough of them and you may see some of the same players and adjust to match their style. I'm rarely conservative since people, including me, will play any 2 cards.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play good hands at the beginning because everyone is going all in to try an build a big chip count.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the strategy and somples and only check your blinds and when you have in position to play with hands (AA KK QQ JJ TT AK AQ AJ AT KQ KJ KT) with these hands you always have to be aggressive to steal or eliminate those donkey players!

olegbereza

olegbereza

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are some of your favorite strategies for winning freerolls?
At the first opportunity, go all-in and you will be happy!
But seriously, it all depends on how good the freeroll is. There are freerolls in which for the victory they give only a few dollars, and there are ones in which you can win very solid prizes. I personally play only all-ins in the first type of freerolls, and in the second type of freerolls I play the same way as in any regular tournament in buy-in cash.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is only one strategy and that is "stay in the tournament". To do that, do what you are supposed to do in any given situation. Avoid all-ins unless you are strong enough to compete. Learn, when to fold with strong hands. Don't play out of position as you will encounter lot of high bets and raises in freerolls. Be conservative with your chips. If you fail to understand a situation or you are confused or you can't read your opponents then it is better to fold.
One more thing. Time and money both are valuable. If you spend enough time in any tournament then you must come up with some prize money.

Last edited:
M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1.Stay tight, avoid all ins unless you have strong hands.
2.If stacks are deep, overlimp often to see cheap flops.
3.Do not bluff. Ever. It's easy to blow away your stack by attempting to bluff freerollers whom you have no fold equity against.
4. Grit your teeth and push on. You won't win every freeroll but you certainly can get far using just these tips.

Hi There
Fully agree with you
Limp is the best strategy until you get stong hands
Rgds

T

Tyler Finnimore

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Extremely tight is the way to go in most free rolls

B

bronson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wait for KK's or AA's only. Even then with all the donks, you will only be 50:50

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a starting stack of 50 BBs tight is right early in the tournament.

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just play patiently and wait for the premium card at the start of the game ...

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best strategy is to never bluff fish

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i usually get involved lots during the first 10 min an if still surviving then i tighten up till after 1 hour or so, sometimes it works great sometimes not. It hasnt cost me anything so have a blast

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have not gone deep enough in freerolls and attribute that to playing too tight. The problem however is that people are willing to shove with almost anything. So your premium hands are very much at risk.

All the strategies discussed above are good. One things I am learning and working on is isolating players and squeeze plays. It may mean folding some big hands if a whole table is shoving in front of you.

It takes a lot of disciplne to survive in freerolls :)

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll tournament tips.

1] Be prepared to accept losses.

As negative as it sounds, you really have to be prepared to lose when playing in freerolls. The best player in the world will have trouble placing well in any of these freerolls because luck plays so much more of a factor than in any other tournament. If you focus too much on expecting to win, you will only be more disappointed and frustrated when you end up getting sucked out on for all your chips.
The best formula for online freerolls is to play well, and get lucky. You can't control luck, but you can improve your chances of winning by playing lots of freeroll tournaments.
2] Play a lot of freerolls and play them well.

As mentioned above, we cannot expect to place well in all of the freerolls that we play in. By playing in more freerolls we are giving ourselves a better chance to finish in the money.
You can increase the number of freerolls available to you by signing up at a number of different poker rooms. Almost all rooms offer freerolls, and they are happy for you to sign up just to play in them. So now not only do we have to play well and be lucky, but we also have to play often.
3] Sit tight at the start.

The start of an online freeroll is always a bit of a frenzy. The luck riders will be straight into action, pushing all their chips in the middle with any two cards hoping for the quick double up at the start. This usually results in a rapid decrease in the number of players and you will find a few players sitting with monster stack sizes compared to the rest of the field.
This is only natural, so don't think that you should have a large stack size like theirs to stand a chance of winning. Just sit tight wait for the good hands, and wait for your turn to double up. Do not be phased if you end up busting out early, just forget about it and head onto the next one, it's probably only around the corner.
4] Look out for the players sitting out.

If you look around the table at a freeroll, you should notice that some of the players are sitting out and not playing in any of the hands. This is because they have signed up for the tournament, but have not turned up to play in it. This means that their blinds will be up for grabs for anyone who decides to raise pre-flop and doesn't come up against an opponent that is actually playing in the tournament.
Keep your eye out for the players who are sitting out, so that you can raise and take their blinds when you feel that you will not come up against any resistance from an actual player. Make sure that you pick your spots carefully, and try not to get into any heavy contests with any of your opponents for these free blinds.
5] Be aware of when the dynamics change.

As already mentioned, the start of a freeroll will be a complete frenzy. Players will be dropping out at a rapid rate and it seems like you will be in the money in no time. But you should realize that this pace will not be sustained throughout the tournament, and as the numbers decrease, the skill will increase.
Great tournament players are able to quickly identify and adapt to changes in the game.
As the luck riders drop out you will be left with opponents that have more of an idea of what they are doing, and they will now have their eyes on the money positions. This means you can play more tactically, and use a few more plays that you couldn't have used at the start, because these players will now actually be able to fold their hands. So be aware of when the transition from luck to poker starts to take place, because it will be time to change gears.