Freeroll State of Mind

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It appears that the Cards Chat members seem to have a very similar philosophy on playing freerolls. Don't treat them super seriously, but try to play solid poker both to learn and practice, and sometimes even hit a payday. Also can try out different styles of play with no risk to your bankroll.

V

viratsingh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls need to be played with more aggression and caution with good hands in the earlier stages that can help you in building the chip stack so that in later stages it can help you to steal chips and blinds easily against players holding low chips. Its not all about winnings the tourney rather hittng the prize level on regular basis that will help you building bankroll .

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing is you should maintain your discipline, no matter what you r playing. Otherwise don't play. I play it normally, but get tilt more often :p.

V

vaci38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play only the free roll tournaments:)This means that I play seriously at all tournaments:)I do not know why not to play seriously,when you play the free roll whether you think you should not play well?certainly the same is if you want to take a dollar plus:)there are a lot of bad players in the free roll tournaments they think is funny tournament and if they have A or K they go all in but very quickly fall out of the tournament,you need to be a little patient, to wait these players to drop from the tournament then you certainly can take the a some sum of money:)for someone these tournaments are good for practice:)

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls and buy in tourneys are big diff.
When you know you didn't pay to play you are relax in same start of game.
So you can lose at start and say its ok i didn't lose money.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play a freeroll depending on my mood,,if im feeling a little aggressive that day,i play aggressive,,if i feel like playing awhile,i fold and check more as to play more pots and save chips. but i think also freerolls are great practice for beginners. :rolleyes:

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ps many treat freerolls as an opportunity to get lucky and constantly go all in is boring but when they are approaching the award winning positions calm down and try to play even throw lots of hands I think you have to play it serious from the beginning and have fun...

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im playing freerolls like normal tournaments,stay calm and try to do my best game thats how we can make some free money,i know there are a lot of players that treats freerolls like a joke and they go all in with anything and some of them are really lucky and they make it to the final table in this way but i dont like this kind of playing.

L

lowscore23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are totally based on who is having a LUCKY day. You can play smart poker and build your stack but there always seems to be a couple of donks with a bigger stack that will beat your UNFOLDABLE hand.

agnew12

agnew12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play normal. Any practice is good practice right? I just try to make it in the money so I can play normally and get better

redwhitealex

redwhitealex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll want to try your hand at poker and nothing more. or just get acquainted with the rules of the game. a huge range of hands that kills the game and the opportunity to conduct their tactics

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I think that players put their pets on the computer and randomly hit buttons. Some of the play seems to be totally idiotic, and many look like they just try to see how often they can suckout with garbage. and the larger the filed, more random play.

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take freeroll as a serious tournament, there will always be a chance to improve, wheter you are on a free tournament or a paid one.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play however the table feels. Lose then I'm tight. Tight then I open up. You'll find one or two random maniacs, two or three more serious players, a bot in the corner and inactive. I don't mind playing any two if I'm getting 5:1 on my chips. I think I have like a 2-3% win rate in ACR free rolls. In other "sponsored" free rolls my win rate is 28%.

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of shovers early stages and get it in good, and play good hands,the donks will go quick

S

SerZhadanov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls for me the opportunity to earn

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you ever find that you become discouraged in freerolls when it seems you can do nothing right, or that your opponents always seem to hit everything?

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes its hard to take a freeroll seriously if the payouts are very small with a enormous field. But for the most part I dont play them any different, I play a bit looser for the fact that I have not risked anything though.

Resinator916

Resinator916

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on my mood

I usually play free very loose the first hour or two. I use them for warm up, when Im bored watching the tube, and more recently to get together a little scratch to take to the cash tables. Will definately play different in free then in any other game.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
open a larger range and play donk,if u have luck and bhild a big stack early ,then tighten up for the win

D

daluby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very tight early in and only go all in with aces or kings. Play a regular style of play afterwards

K

kazmeer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play my normal style, because chances are most people in free rolls are donkeys. usually the first 15 hands someone is calling in pre flop, so unless i get a huge pocket pair I'm folding and pre flop all in instantly. free rolls are easy to win if you have the patience.

Rounder_740

Rounder_740

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly. Most players will go all in within the first 10 minutes or so. Fade all action except monsters for the first 15-20 min just to be safe. After about an hour though it's all serious players. My goal is freerolls is to play like it's big money on the line. It's a good chance to enhance your skills without losing bankroll but still seeing so many hands adding to your experience

J

jolaz69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think your outlook should be when playing a freeroll? Should you treat them like a joke and play donk, play them for fun so widen your range and play outside your comfort level, or treat it like it is a real tournament and play your normal style?

I try to enter freeroll flops with quality hands. A lot of times, people are shoving preflop with garbage and I like to take advantage of that. In live tournaments or money tournaments, I find a lot more folds preflop.