Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I will go straight to the point: have you ever been classified in a freeroll sat? What is your strategy?

A few days ago, I was classified to the second step of a freeroll sat (then I lost :ROFLMAO:). But, on the first step, the guys put all-in in all hands and you can't play as you usually play. Often, looks like a game of luck.

But I saw one guy that plays since 2008 on Pokerstars and played a lot of professional tournaments on one of these sats (I know this because I saw that he has a MicroMillions won and, then, I searched him on sharkscope). He entered in the mid-late game with a short stack, obviously, and he stayed in the game after I lost all my chips (I was playing very well, but I lost when remained 30 players). Now, I'm wondering what kind of strategy did he used? Does he waited to enter in the mid-late game just to be playing with more "behaved" players)?

"Behaved"=Who don't put non-sense all-ins.

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Personally, I repel these points
1. Play aggressively at the beginning of the tournament: You need to collect the maximum number of chips in order to survive later on. Be prepared to take risks and bet to increase your stack.
2. Choose Your Hands Carefully: Focus on playing strong hands such as pairs, high cards, and connected cards of the same suit. Avoid weak hands that can lead to large chip losses.
3. Watch your opponents play: Consider the playing style of other players and try to figure out their strategies. If you notice that someone is playing too aggressively or bluffing a lot, you can use that to your advantage.4. Adjust to a Changing Bet Structure: During a freeroll, bet levels and prize structures may change. Be prepared to adapt to these changes and adjust your game according to the current situation

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey Hospedar, how are you doing?

In fact, satellites are supposed to be played much differently from a normal MTT, just for one reason: in satellites, all the prizes are equal. Therefore, you play to survive and get to the prizes. Because of this, risking a big part of your stack without a strong hand is not good. In satellites, one concept commands all the actions: ICM. And sometimes ICM-based decisions are not intuitive.

Knowing this, you can see that most players don't know how to play satellites, specially at low stakes (but also in mid and high-stakes, sometimes).

If you go deeper on satellites theory, you will see that late registration is almost always a good strategy, because you enter closer to the prizes, despite the shorter stack. Also, the more chips you have and the closer you are to the bubble, the less you are willing to enter risky spots. Also, fold equity is your best friend in satellites: most part of the time, you want to avoid direct confrontation. That's why it is common to see a good player shoving 20 or even 30 BBs in the late stage (but never stealing with a mid-hand like KJ, for example; almost always with strong pairs and strong Ax).

I recommend the book about satellites written by Dara O'Kearney, the best out there on the subject.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Good topic, thanks, and good recommendations for the book.
Good luck.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you have to play freerolls and satellites very carefully, just try to play only with big hands and you will win because come in these tournaments, people just played all-in, lucky or unlucky, and they all come back to another tournament, so you need to take care of yourself and play only with strong hands and you will win, you don't have to take first place, just enter prizes, and all this is enough to make it to stage 2 of the tournament, and then people will play normal, and not like them anyway

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think these freerolls, often with small re buy prices and an add on are potentially good ways to get to bigger tourneys. The main factor I don't think has been mentioned is volume. You have to put the numbers in. I think a latish reg strat could work, and then yeah of course you need luck, as in any tourney. You can balance out that luck/variance with volume!

The final part to consider is the chance of cashing in the target tourney too!! As if you are unlikely to, then you have to consider if its worth putting in the volume to reach it. There can be other value in reaching a bigger value tourney other than financial, such as the prestige and the excitement of taking a shot. These are all positive reasons too in my opinion. We play the game for fun, and enjoyment as well as profit and I think this element can be lost sometimes in poker land!

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
If we're talking about freeroll satellites.. just avoid those for the most part if you ask me. Yes you can win something with them but it's a process and often leads to a complete waste of time, without even getting the good poker game in. Normal satellites are fine.
Most of them are hyper turbo and you are all in right on the start. Even if you manage to win some coin flips at start, you are quickly back to all-ining again and even if you manage to get into "paid" places it only leads to another satellite. (there are few exceptions and few of them that have a locked sign up - those might be worth it).

Imo it's way better to start with a small bankroll and slowly build from there. You can easily start with just playing normal freerolls on CC.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will go straight to the point: have you ever been classified in a freeroll sat? What is your strategy?

A few days ago, I was classified to the second step of a freeroll sat (then I lost :ROFLMAO:). But, on the first step, the guys put all-in in all hands and you can't play as you usually play. Often, looks like a game of luck.

But I saw one guy that plays since 2008 on Pokerstars and played a lot of professional tournaments on one of these sats (I know this because I saw that he has a MicroMillions won and, then, I searched him on SharkScope). He entered in the mid-late game with a short stack, obviously, and he stayed in the game after I lost all my chips (I was playing very well, but I lost when remained 30 players). Now, I'm wondering what kind of strategy did he used? Does he waited to enter in the mid-late game just to be playing with more "behaved" players)?

"Behaved"=Who don't put non-sense all-ins.
Dara O'Kearney has a thread here on CC all about satties and he has a book as well- the book would be very helpful to you and is not expensive-

Yes late reg strat is a very viable strat in satties in fact some satties with an add-on and small fields it is best to max late reg and add-on.

Satties are a good way to take shots at bigger tournaments but you do want to study the proper strategy for best effect

:unsure::geek:

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless you can get to a final table in whatever game and level you're playing at on a normal rate and you actually know what you're doing then I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Like if you have no more knowledge about whatever game you're playing besides aggression wins, lol and you min cash like every 50 games or something then don't bother with unless you just want something to do.

Haven't read Dara's book but I know who he is and know he is a well versed player that has the skill to put folks on hands, can read board textures and has years of playing at a certain level.

So even if you get his book and magically think that will help you instantly to get results then you're in for a surprise.

It takes YEARS to figure out the games then you need skills to consistently get yourself in a position to be at final tables and play for top spots in sats.

That's what a saty usually is these days. Its usually not 50-100 seats going directly into a tourn.

And a lot of these sites now have sats that you have to go to a final table AND THEN go to another sat instead of directly into the final real tourn, lol. and do that all over again.

Its a joke.

You have to run so good and have boards break your way that it becomes a lot less skill than sheer luck.

I'm sure there are folks that can do it but its not worth it to me.

Id rather take something I know for a fact i can at least min cash in then waste my time with.

Sorry for the negative post but just being realistic.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Observ other players and only play strong hands when your stack is over 10 BB.Once your stack is 10 BB or under go allin with strong and medium strong hands when your are first in preflop from any position

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
Freeroll satellites almost every time are the quick tournaments. So i think that there is only one strategy. It's playing with good cards if these cards appear.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
But, on the first step, the guys put all-in in all hands and you can't play as you usually play
Hey! In those tournaments you start with a short stack, so is a push or fold situation, till you can collect some chips.

If there's at least 25 tickets, I play them. My strategy is to register in the last seconds. Usually takes me 1-3 rebuys, and I always buy the add-on. Normally at that stage there's 100-150 players, for a 25-50 tickets prizepool.

Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey! In those tournaments you start with a short stack, so is a push or fold situation, till you can collect some chips.

If there's at least 25 tickets, I play them. My strategy is to register in the last seconds. Usually takes me 1-3 rebuys, and I always buy the add-on. Normally at that stage there's 100-150 players, for a 25-50 tickets prizepool.
This is a great strategy if you can pay the rebuys and the add-ons. Especially if you are trying to get into the next step of a really big tournament (like Sunday Million or WCOOP).

Personally, I repel these points
1. Play aggressively at the beginning of the tournament: You need to collect the maximum number of chips in order to survive later on. Be prepared to take risks and bet to increase your stack.
2. Choose Your Hands Carefully: Focus on playing strong hands such as pairs, high cards, and connected cards of the same suit. Avoid weak hands that can lead to large chip losses.
3. Watch your opponents play: Consider the playing style of other players and try to figure out their strategies. If you notice that someone is playing too aggressively or bluffing a lot, you can use that to your advantage.4. Adjust to a Changing Bet Structure: During a freeroll, bet levels and prize structures may change. Be prepared to adapt to these changes and adjust your game according to the current situation

This is a good strategy, especially at the beginning of these tournaments. On a second step of a satellite you can try to reduce your agressive plays and be more tight with these hints.

Hey Hospedar, how are you doing?

In fact, satellites are supposed to be played much differently from a normal MTT, just for one reason: in satellites, all the prizes are equal. Therefore, you play to survive and get to the prizes. Because of this, risking a big part of your stack without a strong hand is not good. In satellites, one concept commands all the actions: ICM. And sometimes ICM-based decisions are not intuitive.

Knowing this, you can see that most players don't know how to play satellites, specially at low stakes (but also in mid and high-stakes, sometimes).

If you go deeper on satellites theory, you will see that late registration is almost always a good strategy, because you enter closer to the prizes, despite the shorter stack. Also, the more chips you have and the closer you are to the bubble, the less you are willing to enter risky spots. Also, fold equity is your best friend in satellites: most part of the time, you want to avoid direct confrontation. That's why it is common to see a good player shoving 20 or even 30 BBs in the late stage (but never stealing with a mid-hand like KJ, for example; almost always with strong pairs and strong Ax).

I recommend the book about satellites written by Dara O'Kearney, the best out there on the subject.
"You play to survive". This is a wonderful sentence to describe how you need to play these tournaments.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I will try to read it as soon as possible.

And, also, I will try to study the ICM. Actually, I saw something about it in the day that you wrote your comment.

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hello, satellite tournaments are a great way to play good tournaments, but the satellites should be taken into account that they are micros that are located in your post, because generally weak players play that way and maybe the structure you mentioned makes the game crazier.
In the case of the friend who won an MM and entered an MG phase, he must have played very well because it is not very easy to win tournaments with large fields like the MM due to the variance.
But satellites are a great way to play higher tournaments as long as you hit the satellite's target buyin limits.
I'm Brazilian, there was a very nice case of a recreational player on Sundaymillion playing phase satellites, he played micro limits of cents and I managed to win by pulling more than $1kk. I leave the link of the news below. https://superpoker.com.br/noticias/...-million-aniversario-20200325-SPK-111674.html

Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hello, satellite tournaments are a great way to play good tournaments, but the satellites should be taken into account that they are micros that are located in your post, because generally weak players play that way and maybe the structure you mentioned makes the game crazier.
In the case of the friend who won an MM and entered an MG phase, he must have played very well because it is not very easy to win tournaments with large fields like the MM due to the variance.
But satellites are a great way to play higher tournaments as long as you hit the satellite's target buyin limits.
I'm Brazilian, there was a very nice case of a recreational player on Sundaymillion playing phase satellites, he played micro limits of cents and I managed to win by pulling more than $1kk. I leave the link of the news below. https://superpoker.com.br/noticias/...-million-aniversario-20200325-SPK-111674.html
It's incredible to see poker players of our country winning these kind of tournaments around the world.

Yuri "Nerd Guy" is another example of a brazilian that won great championships.

you have to play freerolls and satellites very carefully, just try to play only with big hands and you will win because come in these tournaments, people just played all-in, lucky or unlucky, and they all come back to another tournament, so you need to take care of yourself and play only with strong hands and you will win, you don't have to take first place, just enter prizes, and all this is enough to make it to stage 2 of the tournament, and then people will play normal, and not like them anyway
"You don't have to take first place". This is a perfect mindset to play satellite tournaments.

I try to only play with strong hands too. This made me get into the second step twice in 2-5 days.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
strong hands always and be very patient. I won silver pass (step4) once and I think I played my most patient game to get there. also as stated before focus less on winning and more on surviving till the ticket range while playing with only the best carefully.

Poker Tells