Folding near the bubble

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many variables I would look at to decide what to do. Besides card strength and my opponent playing styles, these would be the biggest factors I'd be considering:

1) How short or deep is my stack ? How does my stack compare to (1) the players at my table ? (2) to all of the remaining players ? Can I realistically just fold my way to a cash ? If so, how many chips might I have to "bleed" to do so ?

2) How much is the buy-in and how much is the min-cash ? Is it a $50 buy-in / $100 min cash or a $500 buy-in / $1000 min cash ?

3) What is the payout structure ? Is it extremely top-heavy or is it more balanced ? Is is a satellite or other type of survivor tournament ?

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AA,KK,QQ i'm not slowing down for the bubble. Even if it's the final table bubble we should always be playing for the win and not folding these hands.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends how is money important to you. Let's say if your playing a 109$ tournament and min-cash is 330$ and this money is important to you, I would fold even Aces. But if it's your regular limits and you have enough bankroll then it's mostly all-in for me.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure about folding AA on bubble. Depends on how many more blinds, I would be able to hold off for. short stacked I might fold if it was a big money tourney.

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What side of the bubble are you on?

If I was failing and didn't think I would survive the blinds, I'm looking for something to jam. Other players are going to have similar thoughts as you and want to folk.

If I was barely in the money, I would generally play the types of hands you're talking about, but a touch fit-or-fold.

If I was really in the money, I'd be more aggressive. You might be able to score a few folds you wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack size is the factor here, if it's AA and some miracle way there's a lot of limping and min raising you can all in and you'll probably get called by pairs and AK so it's pretty good, but yeah stack size for me.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would mostly depend on stack depth. If I have around 30bb+ I’m going to try and extract value which would depend on table dynamics. 20bb or less I’m going all in. I’m never folding unless it’s a satellite

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's a binary pay out and I have the stack to fold to victory, I can muck AA.

B

bonanzaJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many times have I made a pot sized raise with pocket 8,s in early position, just before the bubble and been shoved on with KK. Sometimes I had the caution to fold. Other times, unfortunately I've had too much courage for my own good and called.

My advice: - always try and set up a position with AA, KK, QQ PRE FLOP, where you get to put all your chips in. You will get big stacks taking advantage of small or medium stacks just before the bubble. They will pay you off and double you up trying to knock you out of the tournament.

Hope this helps. ENJOY

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, I draw attention to the importance of the tournament for me. The less important the tournament is, the greater the width of the applied cards for all-in. The second criterion for all-in is the stage of finding the tournament. This is the beginning, middle and end. And the third criterion is your stack. Can you afford to make an all-in and leave for good from the table.

B

blackdust_poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with AA or KK im going all in everytime idc

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live I'm never folding aces or kings preflop even on the bubble. I think you're just burning equity if your playing like that. Online I've seen a lot of situations where i get aces on or close to the bubble and call an all in and get cracked so I will time bank quite a bit. Although it's still usually a call for me lol. I guess what I'm saying is play the way you play no matter if the tourney just started, your on the bubble, or at the final table play your best game..

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm never folding AA or KK, not even right before the bubble.
That's a free double-up for me.
Being ITM is not that 'good', the real money is on the FT( or even top 3) and the bubble is a great place to build your stack.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have than 20 bbs ,I am going to get it with AA KK QQ. even 30 spots from the bubble. I may need take he risk if I am going to have any chance of doing anything after the bubble. If I fold I may get down to the bubble sub 10 blinds ,I would have to shove anyway.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Forget the bubble

Being scared of not making the bubble means playing with scared money. There is nothing higher or equal to an AA, regardless of number of players at the table. There is only a one out of ten chance somebody will be holding an AA when you have KK on a table with 9 players. QQ gets a little trickier, one out of five chance with nine players somebody might be holding an AA or KK, and one out of five chance someone might be holding AK which is basically a hand with equal odds of winning. Yep, going all in with any of these pockets, you bet.

Full speed ahead, damn the bubbles.

R

rmbmr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious to hear what others think. If you have good cards, AA, KK, QQ etc. how close to the bubble would you just fold them. Assuming you can't see a cheap flop. Just to clarify: you are near the bubble (above or below), how many players would be left before the bubble.? Or would you shove all in every time?

I would if I were against other chip leaders at my table (all in, presumably)

ponistra7

ponistra7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on my chip stack. If next big blind will eat all my chips i have nothing to lose then I go all-in with QQ, KK and AA. In other case I can folded QQ and KK but never AA.

davidsincara

davidsincara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By reading opponents and bets you can take a more unscared decision, bubble or not bubble...

me, with QQ+ in MP or CO... a strong opener or shove!

Last edited:
G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a lot of influential factors: The size of my stack, the style of the opponent’s game, my position, etc. Therefore, just pushing it will be a minus action at a distance.

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming I'm middle of the pack and will pretty easily make it into ITM, i'll fold it every time. If i'm short stack and would technically miss ITM anyways... I'd definitely push it AI.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it depends on the tournament, if it is a big tournament, maybe if I can fold those types of hands, but if it is a small tournament, I would not think about folding, to go far in the tournament you have to risk, otherwise you will not you will go far in a tournament.

F

Frank7Chipman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting before the bubble

I get more aggressive before the bubble. At that point, players are trying to make the money and are scared. It is a great time to steal blinds and to push players out. Exactly for the reason that you mentioned. They will fold even great hands. This is the time to build your stack as you prepare to go into the last stage of the tournament.

M

Madragalahad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious to hear what others think. If you have good cards, AA, KK, QQ etc. how close to the bubble would you just fold them. Assuming you can't see a cheap flop. Just to clarify: you are near the bubble (above or below), how many players would be left before the bubble.? Or would you shove all in every time?

Not interested in just squeaking to an ITM position. The only difference to my play approaching the bubble is that I regard it as a time to be more aggressive, not less. Take advantage of the scaredy-cats! After the bubble, however, I find is a good time to slow play monster hands: the short stacks get reckless, and the sharks are eager to take their chips, so you have more chance of a big pot.

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove all 3 of these hands everytime pre-flop in mtt. Not even thinking twice.

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I have a medium stack or shortstack, I will even fold AA, I will not play anymore, if I have a lot of chips of course not

Folding in Poker