Folding KK preflop?

P

Pokerdude420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u called and they showed..AQo, 88, KJs..how would you be 45% to win??? You would be a 4 to 1 favorite at worst...

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can see why, with 3 other players in the hand you folded. Going out on the bubble is just too bad. Even with AA 4 way is bad odds. Suited connecters is better in this spot. I would have folded and made the money. Go up from there if you can. I can see why a lot of other people say no way to a fold.

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dicficilmente would fold KK pre-flop, depending on how many remaining only, but the opponent will have to rely a lot on his hand too! before the flop no one is "good" KK have great chances of winning good hands or ate out of the tournament. each table, each tournament has different endings, then let's move on towards victory!

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have done what you did but the difference was it was to qualify for a bigger tourney. Getting past the bubble was the same as coming first. In your case I think it depends on how much it meant for you to cash as oppose to going higher up the money. I think in your game I would have taken the chance. Win or bust but it does depend on how much was at stake.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think you did a smart move since you where so close to make the money, I don't i'll ever be able to fold poket Kings because i'm not good enough to do so. Good job getting paid, and gl in future tourney's. :)

T

The_Pup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you dont fold KK pre flop i have never heard of anyone ever doing that...also that is the #2 best starting hand in poker...also you NEVER ever see a pro fold that hand so if they dont then we shouldnt either

I have - stick AA KK QQ in You Tube.

T

The_Pup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u called and they showed..AQo, 88, KJs..how would you be 45% to win??? You would be a 4 to 1 favorite at worst...

Um, no. KK is the best hand preflop by a country mile (it is twice as good as 88 and AQ and about four times better than KJ), but it will lose more often than it wins.

R

rocksolidron

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i think you did right you did not bubble and climbed few more places so it worked out kinda sucks your would of held but that close for me also its not worth it congrats

ChaseTh3Ace

ChaseTh3Ace

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure if this play was dumb or inspired.

In a MTT last night I was on the button with KK with a very short stack and we were pretty well on the bubble. I am sure you know where this is going! UTG raises 3BB, MP calls, the cutoff (big stack, LAG) reraises to 6BB putting me all in if I call. I fold.

My thinking was that it seemed very likely the other two would call and since they were both also short stacked they were effectively all in. I reckon I am favourite to win but it is more likely that I will lose. They all go all in and show AQo, 88, KJs which would have put my kings at 45% to win. I can't remember the board exactly but a small stack won, knocking out the other and someone must have busted on another table because the bubble burst. If I'd stayed in I would have won but as it was I got paid and manage to creep up a few more pay grades before going out.

So, dumb or genius?

If im on teh bubble and i KNOW that folding these kings would ride me into teh money i would fold, i would fold ACES in this spot, im not folding kings any other time no matter what my read of the villan, i would never fold kings in any other situation, for some ppl this is an easy and would play the hand, but for me personaly i have to cash if ive commited so mutch time into the game, at least when ive cashed ill feel better getting into push and fold mode, alot of ppl dont realise how quick you can rake in chips when your nearly dead

fajackta

fajackta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am never folding this hand pre. Pretty much the way i look at it is i want to win. If someone has a hand that beats me, then oops. But AA or KK pre even close to the bubble is exactly the hand that i want to see, and ill try and get other people in there with me. I dont look at it as a potential loss, i look at it as a potential double or triple up.

Plus if there is more than one person pushing ahead of you, both of them may have an ace in which case there is a far less likely chance an ace will come on the board.

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call. Why even sit at the table? Youre mind state is just to fold, so why bother playing? Youre not going to call anything. You had K/K bubble or not play and chip up. So you lost the buy in, big deal. People are playing to win some real money. Q/Q you could make a case for but K/K is an easy fold in that spot.

NOLA Red

NOLA Red

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the consensus is that you should not have folded the KK. Personally, playing for the bubble and not for the win would not have been my choice, but here's something else not mentioned to consider if you are playing this type of strategy.

You were not real clear on whether or not you where the smallest stack at the table or whether one (or more) of the other short stacks involved were. If not, then you would also have to figure that even if your KK cracked, one or more of the other short stacks would be marked as going out before you, obviously. If you shuffle that in with the fact that you've had two raises in front of you, which says to me a decent probability of two As out not to mention the calls behind you which also denotes an A or two maybe, then you have every reason to call and very little to fold those Ks.

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't have folded KK here, but I understand the reasoning here. This kind of strategy doesn't get you very far longterm, but if you just want the cash, go for it.

Folding in Poker