Folding an ace

Zacccpanec

Zacccpanec

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This..
An ace by itself I overvalued... Don't get too attached to 1 pair hands.

For me the biggest thing is position. I throw away A2 from utg but I play A2 from any position behind mp (unless someone shows strong aggression in front of me

Great strategy. I'm about the same act )))

Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play if I feel I should play. I fold A all the time. If I think it wount come out on flop or just a hunch that is not good to play. I am relying a lot to my senses in poker :D

B

Brazenly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you shouldnt play low aces even suited. Exep the situations when you r short

you often see a higher if you shove a9 or lower so its risky

Last edited by a moderator:
shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If no one raises i play it,if someone raise muck it,but it happened to me a lot of times to fold A7 and flop came 77A or something like that so i should give it more than 1bb but not more than 3bb.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Play big aces A10+, wheel aces A5 and below and suited aces.

Naitras

Naitras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes need to fold with AA, some hand i had lost playing with aces, it really hard to fold:( But not all time AA could win

S

sellless

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd still likely fold an A6off or the like. If a few other people are limping in then you're still likely to lose and have wasted the blinds.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre flop, with no raise or min raise

Should you ever fold early in tourney when average stack?

Because 9 handed it is almost 70% that someone else holds an A too. So with your 2 kicker do you want to see an A on the flop?

If you already know the answer, are you asking a question or just poking the nest?

Sometimes you should fold,
sometimes you could be lucky with an A2x flop, with turn and river bricks and get value from a better ace,
or if it leads to a nut flush.

You just have to be good enough to understand exactly what you are playing with when you choose to get involved with some starting hands or else you will be the one taken for value.

M

marinaki85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big folds makes you a great poker player...even when you hane to fold AA or KK...This is what makes you unique...

T

the0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely fold an ace preflop unless it is A 6 or lower. Chan's famous A 8 versus 99 is an example of why A x can be beaten.

Samuel Lee

Samuel Lee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it has a good kicker no. But if you have for example A2 you better fold it.
But it also depends on the table and the players that you are against.

media

media

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends from tournament . I can fold AA if I see suited board and another player going All In.

D

Dingospo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded AA because on the flop was almost straight, one card was missing for straight. Guy before me went all in and I knew he must have got straight and I fold :( It feels really bad when you do it, but i some situation it is better than losing everything.

A

amadeusace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends the position and your M zone. I highly recommend to check the fixed charts from equilab (it's a free odds & equity calculator) in general you don't play A2 from EP

M

MrMiyagi420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's very true.. I play super tight until I make it below 10BB. It's just a method that's worked well for me thus far. I'm sure I can expand my game once I get more comfortable with positioning and reading online tells of my opponents, but until then I think playing super tight is best for me! :)

the problem with that is you wake up with a big pocket pair ( or any really strong hand ) and the bb has a huge stack and calls you with rags and beats you:)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Always in position , carefully , trying to steal blinds from weak opponents , with suited to see if sth good connects in the flop into flush , A10s AJs with more confidence but still carefully anything below AQso . Out of position only suited , if cheap (limp) very rarily , when blinds are low .

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded AA because on the flop was almost straight, one card was missing for straight. Guy before me went all in and I knew he must have got straight and I fold :( It feels really bad when you do it, but i some situation it is better than losing everything.

Thats because I always go all in with AA. There is no chance that I will be followed by big number of players. And if it is one on one, even better.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early and mid position i always fold an ace with low kicker i usually raise with aj or aq or ak but in late position when everybody folds i like to raise on a8 or a9 even a5 sometimes if i have big stack

G

Guiguero

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a bad kicker I call at the button, in other positions most of hands I fold.

But if you have a good kicker, its no reason to fold: in a good position you have to raise and in a bad position raise or call

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never fold that. it is almost a winner in itself. at least see the flop.

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never fold that. it is almost a winner in itself. at least see the flop.

If you follow the cards, you can see that when gives you A6, someone gets AQ or other stronger combination. In that case, you will lose. I always play carefull with an A. :)

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace rag shouldn't even be played unless ur playing blind vs blind, pushing around a short stack, or limping in, kicker is always gonna be an issue, just cause you hit your ace isn't the end of it, have to figure out what to do next

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at what I play playing you must be aggressive if you have a small stack and more if you have good cards or A and high kicker

A

Aces74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends

I say depends on tourn and on site.
I was playing a tourn and just knew AA was going to lose on the button )2 red aces).So I decided to Play it against my inner feelings.
So I was in first by 50 k a substantial margin.77k chips second was 27k.I had a new guy moved to table in mid action and of choose I shove all in with AA he calls Ak and flops a st8.Now after this hand I knew by not fallowing my feeling I was on a downswing.I still place in top 10 in tourn but this hand really hurt my chance of taking down first second or third.So if you feel like its not your spot to win it might be your spot to lose.

Folding in Poker