To fold or not to fold?

JasperDan1988

JasperDan1988

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
At what point would you not call for an out?

Many of us obviously like to gamble, but I put to you of you were sitting with an open ended straight draw or even a flush draw... how often would you call for it and what % of your stack would you be willing to risk?

Also would be interested to hear how you feel about gut shot straight draws?

For me it has always been a rule that I won't risk anymore than 10% of my stack for a draw and will only call minimum bet for a gut shot...

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think it depends on pot odds, how much you have invested etc., ... not sure why anyone would waste time or money on a gutshot generally👍

M

marius1980

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I think your actions are conditioned by more than one factor. Odds, your stack, opponent, pot..... I think it is important to be consistent in how you act.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
For a flush draw (9 outs) when you are not all in, with one card to come it hits 20% of the time. So if your call is 20% of the pot or less, mathematically you can call for a profit. If your call is more than 20% of the pot you are paying too much for this draw and you have to make up for it with good implied odds.

Each out is worth approximately 2%. So an open ended straight draw has 8 outs or 16% equity. So hear you need your call to be 16% of the pot or less for a profitable (+EV) play.

Knowing each out is worth 2% you can easily find your equity in the hand by multiplying your out by 2.

Hope this helps.

Folding in Poker