to fold on the flop with pocket KK

A

ArSavari

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in early or middle phase of the tournament, you should assume that opp doesn't bluff and definitely fold your cards.
If you are in the money and think that your opp bluffs, you should fold again, because you have only to outs to make a set, so a hand equity of 4%, but it seems that your pot equity is much bigger.

edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As said earlier KK is an under pair on a board with an ace,as with all hands your move after the flop should be read dependent .Knowing what type of player you are playing against will help you decide if you should fold or not.Never be afraid to make a lay down if you think you are beat even with a premium hand pre it might not be premium post flop.Sometimes it is the hands we lay down that save us a lot of money in the long run not the hero calls...........scorp

agree ... sometimes you have a pain in my heart to fold with pocket kings! this poker and if I see the board flush draw or a straight draw - then I can also throw out a pocket KK after a big raise your opponent! .. watch a lot of reputation opponent - it helps make the true test selection! but always remember - just a pair KK in poker so many combinations are superior!

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i go to the flop with KK and hit an A i'm done. i play the hand very cautiously and when a big raise comes i just fold. chances are he is holding sth like JJ or KQ but most of the time he just has the ace. face it, you can't win your kings everytime

Completely agree

islandman

islandman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im just a rookie here so soaking in all the advice. Im now wondering what if?
Flop comes K Q 10 and a big raise, now how would you play it? Im thinking Im a big underdog with all the possible hands to beat a set of k's? But odds of me completing a boat or even quads??

T

The Nuder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go all-inn with pocket kings - this is probably all players fold ... what's the point? .. just pick up the blinds? .. I like to take good banks, not just blind! ..
Yesterday I had pocket aces beaten twice by two pair like 7's and 2's or some rubbish. I know this is just bad luck and ordinarily I would go all in with A's but I thought I'd see how much more I could pick up instead. I think it depends on the tournament and the style of play sometimes all in is just safer.

edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im just a rookie here so soaking in all the advice. Im now wondering what if?
Flop comes K Q 10 and a big raise, now how would you play it? Im thinking Im a big underdog with all the possible hands to beat a set of k's? But odds of me completing a boat or even quads??
it's just a chance! a flop is dangerous - if someone's ready straight through a flop? .. set of kings is a very strong combination, but too fragile for such a flop! I'd really thought what decision to take! probably would raise 3bet and looked at the response to the opponent!

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been there done that I had pp K's flop came up 9 A J goes all the way around player to my right raises, thought possible opened ended str8 or he just had the ace,yep I threwem in, goes around another player calls,flop came 5 player raises again other player folds, he showed he had A 9 for 2 pair,my only thought was I should have raised 4 or 5 bb preflop, later on in the game I had pp Q's same thing kicked myself should have raised big pre !!!!:hmmmm:

edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I had pocket aces beaten twice by two pair like 7's and 2's or some rubbish. I know this is just bad luck and ordinarily I would go all in with A's but I thought I'd see how much more I could pick up instead. I think it depends on the tournament and the style of play sometimes all in is just safer.

Cash tournament with an average buy-in! freeroll tournaments, players can meet the all-inn with any rubbish on the hands (I do not mean freeroll tournaments CC)! in money tournament can not be for much, go to the bank with rubbish!

coyotegal

coyotegal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm all in here prolly 85% of the time, no matter what position and ESPECIALLY if short stacked. The rest of it, 13% im slowplaying to build the pot. I can't remember the last time I folded KK....maybe 2%of the time, I fold KK. If I think the player after me will try to scare me with a large bid and were the only two in the pot, I will check to him, slowplaying to build the pot, get him pot committed then 'BAM' ... flat take his stack... if the cards let me...those are my favorite plays... ripping a maniac bully to shreads in one round...lol..but otherwise, I'm all in from the get go. ......... but... If I did end up where you were, I would definitely fold when the A showed up and someone raises....I'd save my chips and wait for a better spot to pick up the pot....

Last edited:
burgdogky

burgdogky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never consider calling here with KK preflop and an ace come on flop. Now, if you bet first and he raises.... You HAVE to give him credit.. why would he try to bluff? obvious fold imo

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
what to do when going into the pot preflop with pocket KK 20BB - the flop comes ace and your opponent makes a very big raise? is it always necessary to fold a pocket card with no improvement on the flop and an ace on the board?

I don't know why in situation like this, you let to your opponent to see the flop and make better hand than you. For my opinion in situations like this when you have KK, or QQ you should always go all-in pre flop. You never have to make a little raise and let some of your opponent who have Ax or something else to make pair of aces or something better and eliminate you from the tournament or force you to go fold. It's more secure to make all-in pre flop.

edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never consider calling here with KK preflop and an ace come on flop. Now, if you bet first and he raises.... You HAVE to give him credit.. why would he try to bluff? obvious fold imo

and if the opponent went into the bank with a medium pocket pair? aggressive player with pocket JJ will not stop the flop with A on the board! the situation may be different, and sometimes really difficult to make the right decision with pocket KK when the flop brought A on board and made ​​a big raise from your opponent!

edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why in situation like this, you let to your opponent to see the flop and make better hand than you. For my opinion in situations like this when you have KK, or QQ you should always go all-in pre flop. You never have to make a little raise and let some of your opponent who have Ax or something else to make pair of aces or something better and eliminate you from the tournament or force you to go fold. It's more secure to make all-in pre flop.

Sometimes this decision is like suicide! with AKo preflop opponent will go to the bank for a very big bet! And the flop and give the enemy a very strong hand! realizing such a situation does not want to fly out of the tournament, giving his opponent's entire stack! sometimes you have to throw out of pocket KK - just in these situations is always difficult to make the right decision!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'm really shocked at how many people keep repeating "Go all in preflop with KK or QQ"

huh? you mean open shove your entire stack to win only the blinds? Not a good plan unless you are shortstacked. Sure...we all want to get all in preflop with KK....so we raise and we hope for a re-raise. Sometimes they don't re-raise. sometimes they just call and we have to look at a flop. Sometimes the flop sucks for our hand and we have to make a big laydown.

If you are so afraid of playing post flop that open shoving your big hands is your only move, and you don't think you can lay down big pairs when the flop is bad...then maybe poker is not for you.

Last edited:
edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm really shocked at how many people keep repeating "Go all in preflop with KK or QQ"

huh? you mean open shove your entire stack to win only the blinds? Not a good plan unless you are shortstacked. Sure...we all want to get all in preflop with KK....so we raise and we hope for a re-raise. Sometimes they don't re-raise. sometimes they just call and we have to look at a flop. Sometimes the flop sucks for our hand and we have to make a big laydown.

If you are so afraid of playing post flop that open shoving your big hands is your only move, and you don't think you can lay down big pairs when the flop is bad...then maybe poker is not for you.

totally agree! to collect the maximum bank and need to be able to part with pocket monsters, if you can see how the board draws together many combinations are not in your favor, and in the improvement of your opponent! I watched as the final table of a large tournament great players did not go to the bank before the flop with pocket AA! did not come just because it was done before three all-inn!

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling your raise preflop and leading out on the flop when you have 20bb or less to me is generally a player holding A10 ~ ish hands.

If you call and they check the turn, to me its AIR or A-Rag

If he continuation bets the turn.. most likely you drawing to a 2 outer.

As others said, its very situational and depends on your read of the opponent.

edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling your raise preflop and leading out on the flop when you have 20bb or less to me is generally a player holding A10 ~ ish hands.

If you call and they check the turn, to me its AIR or A-Rag

If he continuation bets the turn.. most likely you drawing to a 2 outer.

As others said, its very situational and depends on your read of the opponent.

all right! but I asked about the situation where the enemy is no information! when you're playing with a stranger to this player! just look at the situation with pocket KK and fallen ace on the flop!

M

Marsd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the situation for sure-
what is the persons playing style? do you have any history?
if you have no history or knowledge of the player, then what is his and your stack size? what positon are you both playing from?
did he check raise the flop or lead in?

Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a fold unless you have good reason to believe your op is at it.

icbossman

icbossman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you do a strong bet and he raises on the flop. He could have paired the ace with something really weak.

M

malaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi from me! i well make a min raise whit poket KK,if my oponet re raise this well be easy fold for me,then i am fold whit poket KK.

Folding in Poker