Flopping quads

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just had a hand, pocket deuces on the button, and flopped quads. I was short stacked compared to my two opponents. I tried to extract as much as I could by min-betting, hoping for a raise from one of them, and got called by both. Another min-bet on the turn, however, caused both of them to fold... I was a little bummed.

Did I play this right at all? Should I have waited? What do you all think?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It all depends on the pre-flop action. If you got limpers with weak hands, you won't have much success with your quads. Minbetting is pretty standard trappy play that decent players are very aware of. Your best bet is to pick a weaker hand to rep with appropriate bet sizing and hope a villain hits a weaker draw to overplay.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have weak players, if you shove all in, in that position could it potentially be seen by them as a bluff and they might call with overcards (someone with more experience than me will hopefully be able to say how decent a play this is)?? I think the min bet was fine on the flop, maybe on the turn, check and hope they are able to improve their hand on the river when they are more likely to bet or call.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to say if you could have played it better without knowing all the cards...

Folding to your last min bet makes me think you already extracted all you could because your opponents didn’t have any kind of legit hand.

Maybe one of them would have tried to steal the pot on the flop if you would have checked. If you call then maybe you get a second bet from him on turn....

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played it Right

From what you wrote, and not knowing all the cards dealt showing on the table, I think you played it right. With flopped quads you did what would do as in " milk the players" vs going all in and chasing them away and having them fold. Once I know I have the "nut hand" at times I will just check on the turn and hammer my bet once the river is shown.

Nice Hand BTW !:D

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually make a standard c-bet on the flop because that's what I would do if I was just trying to steal the flop. On the turn I would often check to give them a free card and also to try and make them feel like I was really just trying to steal the pot. On the river, if they all check again, I would bet between 0.75 and 1x the pot size to maybe get a call. If someone bets on the river, reraise as much as I feel like I can get a call, could even be all in.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO two min bets screams a deuce. Min bets but bets none-the-less....fixed costs. Why not check the turn for them to try and pick up the pot and get a street of value on the river. Like half pot bet.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow

Flopping quads is always nice. Congratulations !

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Check the turn the next time. Show weakness

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you raised preflop with them you should have put out a decent cbet. It would look like you missed the flop and if they connected to any of it they would call or jam

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just had a hand, pocket deuces on the button, and flopped quads. I was short stacked compared to my two opponents. I tried to extract as much as I could by min-betting, hoping for a raise from one of them, and got called by both. Another min-bet on the turn, however, caused both of them to fold... I was a little bummed.

Did I play this right at all? Should I have waited? What do you all think?
You have to check the bet and try to get them to bet for you. I'd check it twice. Then all-in on the river.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having played a bit more since this post and gained more experience, I think a check wouldn't have been bad as some of you have suggested. I'll have to give it a shot next time it happens. Who knows when that'll be, of course... :)

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This 100% depends on the type of player you are playing.... weak passive players the min bet would never work.... now it would work against a good/pro style player that never limps, seems to always get it in good, and hard to break down based off betting frequencies.... these plays would had seen your play as weak, and if they got any price of that flop they would have called you with over pair for sure....

Now against a manic style player that's crazy agressive, and is always trying to buy checked flops and turns.... I'm check calling all the way to the river, then blowing up the pot if they bet 2 streets....

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it very well, I dont like checking. min betting into a large pot gives them everything they need to call, odds if they are drawing etc. I think the turn just didnt help them, and they must not of had a decent draw, no one is folding a good draw with those kind of pot odds. you did the best you could I think. I dont like slow playing here with checks, let them pay to draw dead.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you have nuts on the flop it’s really good time for setting a trap. Check flop, even check turn if needed then large over bet or all in, to look like you want to steal pot. If they have something most of the time they call. If you’re opponents don’t have anything they don’t call anyway

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are still lucky to get a call from your opponents, most often by catching a square with the flop, you will not receive payment if your opponent does not have a full house or a flush draw that he will draw.

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion it is right .. the opponents played with two overcards ,. Each next street gives a chance to your opponents, and this is a risk that can lead to the end of the game

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it were me I would have bet 1/3 pot on the flop and checked the turn if I got a caller. This allows them to possibly hit something on the river and bet into you and you can check raise them.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YES, check when you have quads, that simple lol

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very hard to extract value when you have quads. Especially if hit on the flop.
I mean if your opponent has AK or 99s it is hard for him to call a raise, or make one himself on a 22Q board (for example).
That 3rd card really needs to connect with opponents hand for him to call you off.
Also, it is likely to get value on boards like 99T where there are some draws too..

Basically, you can either check quads hoping someone bluffs or makes a thin value bet, or try to bet yourself hoping opponents have overpairs, strong draws or something to call you with.
All that being said, not getting full value with quads, may not be entirely, or at all your fault.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on what was on the flop it is usually better to play it exactly so minimum rises to give a little value to the hand and then if you complete a set pass or a considerable increase luck greetings:top:

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what the full story was, but it sounds likely that you never stood a chance of getting value if your opponents folded to a min bet. You might have been able to try to bait a check raise, but if your opponents were so tight that they’re folding to min bets then it’s not likely that you would have gotten that opportunity. Unfortunately sometimes your made hands just never find any challengers.

J

Johnsouth

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo Its a tough decision to make when you flop a hand like that apart of you wants to go all in right away but also slow playing could lead to a big chip count

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it would be pretty hard to get action and you probably did good getting called on flop since there was only one other card they could have paired up on--on the turn there would have been still just 2 cards available to them to pair up