Fading in tournaments?

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like I start strong, but fade during the middle stages. Should my hand ranges change to fold suited connectors and Ax hands in favor of more big card hands?

MTT Database Review

MTT Database Review

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
That is just too broad of a question. Realistically there isnt that much change in your overall strategy when getting deeper in the tournament. There is just some added ICM pressure, so you have to be a little more careful, you cant go super thin with some preflop stackoffs because opponents will call tighter etc.
But you should mostly focus on just playing correct poker overall, know your opening ranges, 3bets, flats, theory behind cbets, finding enough turn overbets and stuff like that. And after that you should worry about changes when in "middle stage of tournament".

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hey, I think that your range doesn't change as much from the tournament stage, compared to how it should change from stack depth ;)

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I think that your range doesn't change as much from the tournament stage, compared to how it should change from stack depth ;)
That’s really what I meant. I know push-fold favors big cards, but what about 30-50 BB deep?

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
That’s really what I meant. I know push-fold favors big cards, but what about 30-50 BB deep?
If we are talking about such a stack, then the range of hands will begin to change depending on your position at the table. The further you sit, the more starting hole cards you can use in the game)

Seu buneco 366

Seu buneco 366

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
If we are talking about such a pile, the range of hands will begin to change depending on your position at the table. The further away you sit, the more starting cards you can use in the game)
Thank you very much brother

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The value of implied odds type hands goes down, so you should definitely look to do less setmining and also open fold small pairs from early position. And also make less speculate calls in general. Having position on someone matters less, when stacks are shallow, because if they connect strongly with the flop, they can just go with their hand. Preflop ranges dont change that dramatically compared to being 100 BB deep though, so you likely want to look elsewhere for potential big leaks in your game. This is more like subtle details rather than something major.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in middle stage you need to tighten up a little and should try to not get blinded down and take some action . dont play passively (too often / too much)

Last edited:
makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It happens many times, but I think it is part of the game. But if something is repeating and it is unpleasant, there must be changed something which is not right or it needs improvement. As you say mybe is the hands you choose to play, or the betting.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's just part of the game. Top pros only cash about 13% of the time.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you have very few chips then I guess you always drop Oh small pairs and play with top pairs and a monster in your hand, but if you have a lot of chips you can play with Oh