Extremely aggressive players: how do you beat them?

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You must be patient and try to avoid bloating the pot against them. I usually try to avoid playing versus them unless I have a real hand and preferably when I have position on them.

aquilex2799

aquilex2799

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey Hospedar,

It's much easier to win chips from those who are willing to put them in play, don't you think? Extremely aggressive players are actually begging for someone to take their chips.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi everyone! Guys, as I understand it, the question was: what if you met an aggressive player in the tournament? I agree that patience and a good and strong hand will give you an advantage against such a player, but such villains do not always play their hand when the stakes rise, but go all-in from preflop! I try to avoid such people, I discard them, but as Phil Gordon described in his Little Green Book, this style of play (aggressive) is good in the short term, and you can resist it because such players attack with different hands in the hope that at least somehow they will hit the board plus the push factor; My opinion is that if you want extreme, contact the aggressor, but you'd better avoid him - this will save your nerves:), and the stack.

S

Spanks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Extremely aggressive players are very difficult to deal with. They won't let us play
Huh? What a strange thing to say... They somehow stop you from playing?

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check more often with nutted hands.. let them build the pot for you..

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
wait them out, these players are very good to limp shove AA/KK vs :D

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exercise patience and catch him at the right time

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Avoid them.

Register late, keep pots small, play position.

They're going to incinerate themselves because they have no clue what they're doing.

At best they're all in muppets who think they can use a big stack to bully someone or some other silly weak idea that mindless aggression in poker wins. And that's not true.

Then they end up playing too many hands above their skill level or another big stack comes to the table and they mix it up and go bust while dragging countless other folks with them as they donk out hitting crazy hands or just playing bingo poker.

Then they're saying " I get a big stack and, and I always lose it"lolol.

I'm, laughing because they got it by donking their way to a big stack wasting their time because they can't win anything consistently that way regardless and can't figure it out. Their silly reasoning is if they could ONLY hold unto it, lol. Just silly.

Best thing to do is to get popcorn, relax and watch them throw kerosene on themselves raising pots doing their bingo nonsense being stupid with weak hands not knowing what they're doing.

ACR has a numerous freerolls and low entries all the time, plenty to watch there if you like car wrecks in progress, lol.

Was watching a omaha pl game and the folks think a big pair with 3 6 or something is good, lolol

Look at kk36. Does K3, k6 look good to you?

And they're raising and reraising pots against ppl that they KNOW are calling them down lolololol. LOLOLO.

You can't make this stuff up, lol.

You don't need to know these games, just common sense. K K 3 6 in omaha is KK, K3, K6 and 36 and they think a pair is good in omaha as if its holdem lol. I mean no common sense. Here comes the 36 lol. A set is only a 2 outer so ooooooooTAY, lets go all in !!!!!!

As I watch them get KOed by 2 pair. lol.

No common sense. Or A A 7 4 I mean, people aren't even thinking in any of the freerolls, forget learning the games, its all about "Me aggressive, Meeeee smart, meeee win" then they lose in like 10mins of registering.

I mean forget about any of the poker stuff, forget about the strategy, forget about the hands, think about it like this: why don't these people realize they have to run so lucky playing this way?

I mean you have to play in most freerolls for HOURS just to min cash and they think by putting themselves at risk can do that over and over and win anything as they throw out chips like that?

Its just silliness.

Ill play them for entertainment and to build up what I call "my nonsense factor" to build up something that keeps me from tilting and avoid their silly plays by these bingo folks.

And Im laughing at them, they're like, "mmeeee smart, me made you fold!!!"

I'm laughing because I know what going to happen to them and what type of player they are.

I don't need sharkscope or anything to tell me and I know to just avoid them as much as possible and if they get me with a donk play or the blinds get me then that's that and move on.

Last edited:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You don't need to worry about how your opponent played, the main thing is that you didn't make a mistake, which means that in the future you will remain in the black and he will lose!!! Continue to play without making many mistakes and the result will definitely be the way you want!!! Just recently I was playing Sandy Storm and right after the bubble I went all-in with AA (I had 44bb) against AK and lost!!! It was a shame, but I know that I played correctly and could not play differently!!!

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I myself constantly come across such players at micro-limits and freerolls. And all that I could understand about playing against them were 2 things: 1) Never be fooled by their provocations, always assess the situation with a cool head - let him take this bank, take the next one, the game ends only when we have no chips left, and 2) Play strictly according to the strength of your hand - and he will give us all his money in pursuit of senseless aggression. Good luck at the tables!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The correct strategy against aggressive players is to play passively in the right situations, but for most winning players this will be a very difficult adjustment.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
It will be difficult to play against an aggressive player only for players who have little experience playing against such players. If you play against an aggressive player for a very long time, you will understand what and how they play, but more often than not you will just have to watch them steal the blinds but you should not tilt or be mad at it just wait for strong hands after just press the call and wait for him to act like you have nothing he will do himself when he will stop betting himself, then you will bet yourself after getting as much as you can and return it and win more than him for all his aggression, you can also sometimes answer with strong or weak arms even with 3 bets to get him to throw his hands away because he'll think you're a passive player and now you definitely have a strong hand, use it only if you know how to play and choose the right moment

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I completely understand your feelings towards poker, as it is a game full of emotional ups and downs due to situations like the one you mention. In poker, facing extremely crazy and aggressive players can be challenging but it can also be an opportunity.

The first thing to remember is that these types of unpredictable players are often called "maniacs" in poker slang. They can win a few hands with weak hands, but they can also lose large amounts of money in the long run. To beat these players:

Patience: Stay calm and do not get carried away by their aggressive movements. Wait for them with strong hands before taking action.
Observe and take notes: Learn from their playing patterns. When are they aggressive and when do they withdraw? The more you know about their style, the better prepared you will be to face them.

Take advantage of their mistakes: Maniacs often overvalue their hands. If you have a strong hand, allow them to continue betting and then make a big raise to get the most value out of your hand.

Avoid unnecessary confrontation: Don't feel obligated to compete with them on every hand. Choose your battles and play selectively.

bankroll Management: Playing against maniacs can be costly if you're not careful. Make sure you have an adequate bankroll to withstand fluctuations and temporary losses.

Maintain a balanced mindset: Don't let yourself be emotionally affected by losses or wins against manic players. Keep a focused mindset and play your best game.

Ultimately, facing extremely aggressive players can be challenging, but it's also an interesting part of poker. As you gain experience, you will learn to adapt and use their play style to your advantage. Remember that poker is a long-term game of skill, and over time, skill will prevail over luck in most cases.

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try studying a more GTO approach to the game. In your example if he is playing a lot of hands aggressively try calling with strong hands something above 20 percent of the hands.:):D:cool:

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tighten your preflop range, open up your 4bet range, and value own them when you have a hand.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
With players who are very aggressive you have to be very calm, patient and focused, these types of players are not easy, you have to be very attentive to how aggressive they are, if it is against a specific player, etc. in order to find the right moment to attack, that or beg to be moved to a more relaxed table

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just wait for good cards or go all-in if my stack is short.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone is going to get their chips, just hope it is you! :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If he is so aggressive, then there is a great chance, I am waiting at the corner! I can play aggressively too!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A few days ago I was playing (very well) a freeroll tournament and I was defeated in the early game with an AA by a guy who had an offsuited, strange and small hand (I don't remember his hand). I put an all-in and he won (at the river, I think). But what is more impressive is the fact that he was calling all my bets in a game almost lost, almost...

Man, this is why I hate and I love poker at the same time. You can win a game with the best hand possible, but you can also win the game with the worst hand possible (before or after the showdown)...

So... let's go straight to the point... How do you feel about this kind of play in poker? And how do you beat these extremely crazy and aggressive players?

The simple answer is to call them and beat them with the best hand! I was being trolled by one player on-line that kept making all-in shoves right from the start, every time I limped, he was there with an all-in bet, forcing me to fold. So I waited and when getting a monster hand dealt to me, I limped, he shoved and I called with Pocket Kings, a hand or two later I did exactly the same with Pocket Aces and took him out of the game.
Some other player at the table made a remark about how he was glad I had beaten this annoying "Jerk" and can we now start to play Poker instead of "Bingo".
Sure I could have been beaten by this annoying player, but my philosophy is, If I had been beaten, at least I could try and find another game without him being there.

lala123

lala123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wait until the right time and then you beat the aggressive player

J

Jaiymo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
A few days ago I was playing (very well) a freeroll tournament and I was defeated in the early game with an AA by a guy who had an offsuited, strange and small hand (I don't remember his hand). I put an all-in and he won (at the river, I think). But what is more impressive is the fact that he was calling all my bets in a game almost lost, almost...

Man, this is why I hate and I love poker at the same time. You can win a game with the best hand possible, but you can also win the game with the worst hand possible (before or after the showdown)...

So... let's go straight to the point... How do you feel about this kind of play in poker? And how do you beat these extremely crazy and aggressive players?
You're going to win in the long run against players that consistently get it in when behind. Got to ignore short term variance.

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and patience once again, plus composure, irritability is your big enemy.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing this type of player calls for patience, I try to let them play their agro style and wait for a good hand to take some or all their chips.

R

RiverDeezNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Just wait for a hand and use their aggression against them.. Frustrating when you get them good, but get sucked out lol