Double or nothing sit & go

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what do u guys consider a baby BR i have about 500 should i switch from this format to something else?? or should i run it up to 1k or 5k first

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Double or Nothing

Yes, I play a lot of double or nothing games.

On intertops I prefer the four handed turbo games. They also have six handed turbo games, but I don't understand why anyone would want to work 33% more, eliminating three other players instead of two, for the same amount of pay. But the six handed games do seem to be the more popular.

Bet Online has a fast double-up (8 minute blind raising game) with eight starters. I don't know why, but I've had some awesome runs in that game. Sometimes as many as ten to fifteen wins between losses. Maybe more.

Neither of those sites offer standard ten minute blind games.

On ignition, I prefer the triple-up nine-handed games because they are standard ten minute blind games where-as their double-up games are turbo with 5 minute blinds. I play the double-up SnGs occasionally, but I've amassed most of my bankroll by playing the triple-ups on that site.

So yes, the double-ups are a good way to increase your bankroll. If you're starting with a small bankroll, then the freerolls can also be beneficial.

Take care and may the poker gods favor your journey.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what do u guys consider a baby BR i have about 500 should i switch from this format to something else?? or should i run it up to 1k or 5k first

With a 500$ bankroll there is more profit potential in playing MTTs, if you have the skills and the time needed. If you have only played DoNs, you probably want to play some regular 9 man SnGs first to sort of bridge the gap, and a bit of cash game experience wont hurt you either.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These tournaments have very strong players, solid regulars, so the skill in these tournaments is incredibly high.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started my bankroll building with these tournaments, but unfortunately now there is a very high probability of collusion in them, so I do not recommend playing them!

S

scrappypower

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why do people say collusion when they dont win

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think this is a good option if you feel confident enough and if your bankroll allows it. But I would recommend you to play only in tournaments where the blinds grow at least every 8 or 10 minutes, at least.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many top MTT players started their "poker career" with DoN. Or fifty50. This only...Can be very profitable. You can play very high volume of this tournaments. If you have a rakeback or you play for leaderboard, can be very profitable.
But this tournaments is very different. Your "mindset" must be different. Super heavy ICM, totally different game. Totally different poker.
I play like 2-3k per month. "Pure" DoN. Aslo other SnGs. The regs are dumb. I remember fifty50 in Stars. They was just the same. Very few of them are good. If we talk about 10-15 dollars buy in.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any game can increase your bankroll, the main thing is to choose what suits You the most, you must understand the essence of this discipline, be able to properly adjust to it and enjoy the game. And the winnings will not be long in coming.:)

ganbat

ganbat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Double or nothing is not really double or nothing though. Spin&Go seems to be better if you do challenges, and limit the number of tournaments everyday.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
These tournaments have very strong players, solid regulars, so the skill in these tournaments is incredibly high.

probably 3to4 players on every 6-man table is a regular... even in the micros... BUT the others are typically VERY BAD players.
The rake is very high on iPoker network.... and because of this you'll find less good players in them. So you get a much higher ratio of bad vs. good players in them (2 good, 4 bad). Still as others have mentioned, you need a high winrate to make anything.

If you're new to them, read up on strategy and then post hands for analysis in the Tournament section.

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are amazing to grow up your BK. Normally players there do it just for hobby and It is an opportunity to catch them all.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The variance at theory is low, but I am always scared to play DoN or fifty50 with short roll. I don't know exactly why. Maybe cuz you can not win much, but you can loose. Even compared to 18 man turbo. I can play this with 150 buy ins, but DoN at least 100. In theory with 50 buy ins should be OK, but I just can't feel comfortable. Bad memories maybe...
The rake is very important. As you can see at the low limits the rake is low in the most rooms. If it is high, this is pretty bad. Your edge is small, can not be big. Never...Never ever...
This fifty at Stars...At the micro limits you can see, except the high rake, they will "cut" some money at the end. If you play many tournaments, this will matters. I made an experiment. At 1.50 fifty. 24 tables Sit out. And I lost some $3-4, but I think I was "unlucky" :D. Very easy to make money from those. But you can't make "good" profit. Per hour...

They are regs at the micro limits. I think one per 6 max, two per 10 max. But they are pretty bad, weak. Maybe they are more there. But so bad, you can't see them. You know, they play DoN or fifty like normal SNG. This is very bad, this is a suicide. At the end they will loose. Even if they are good at normal SnG. I see him as fish. I can't see him. Or refuse to see him as reg.

Last edited:
julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
doble o nada

Hi. definitely don't gamble your money on these tournaments. The times you will lose are more than the times you will win. I am telling you because I have lost several dollars. there

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I kinda licked those on Stars back than. But they changed them to these 59fifty or something? And thats really confusing me :D

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say it depends on the room because the only thing that could make your roll large from playing a lot of these is rakeback. You have win roughly 57% of time depending on rake which you may or may not be able to do but even you can get it in the low 60%s on wins you will not be making much. However, if there is decent rakeback on the site you are playing then you can profit from them. They do take a lot variance out of the equation compared to MTTs but your potential to make big money from them, even in the long run, is very close to zero.

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Quit a Bit

i play quite a bit is double or nothing. But it is a hard way to make your bank roll grow. With the rake, you need about 60% win rate. That is actually difficult. Best strategy is to play very tight and watch the others players knock each other out.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DONs are great to play, just make sure you understand the ICM.

J

Jueheigl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them a lot but I Lose the most time

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play quite a bit is double or nothing. But it is a hard way to make your bank roll grow. With the rake, you need about 60% win rate. That is actually difficult. Best strategy is to play very tight and watch the others players knock each other out.

I agree, that its not possible to get a high ROI in DoNs. But 60% is mathematically incorrect. Even if the poker site keep 10% of the buyin, you "only" need to cash in 55,55% to break even. And most poker sites do actually charge less rake for DoNs than for other tournament formats. If you can get away with 6% rake, the number drop to 53,2%. And then, as others have mentioned, there is rakeback deals on some sites and markets.

B

Buwwows

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play DONs almost exclusively in party poker. You can definitely build a bankroll on them. Unfortunately the tables don't fill up over $50 very often. The fields have quite a few regs but they aren't unbeatable by any stretch. I'm guessing they make money from rakeback

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the Clarification

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree, that its not possible to get a high ROI in DoNs. But 60% is mathematically incorrect. Even if the poker site keep 10% of the buyin, you "only" need to cash in 55,55% to break even. And most poker sites do actually charge less rake for DoNs than for other tournament formats. If you can get away with 6% rake, the number drop to 53,2%. And then, as others have mentioned, there is rakeback deals on some sites and markets.

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Does anybody know a lecture where strategies are described to win those games? I often lose just as one of the latest before the money rolls (?)

DanyDiablo

DanyDiablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a very good option to increase the bankroll without risking much. Good hands.