Don't freerolls spoil the quality of our game?

O

oskarsbaumanis2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe they were created with the intention to attract more players, etc

I also think that by playing them for a long time, we spoil our good game and don't know how to play normal tournaments anymore, for example

O

oskarsbaumanis2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean cheap and fast freerolls
of course freerolls are also good, all cc freerolls are ok

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It really does not matter whether you buy-in to a game or playing a Freeroll, It is how You approach the game that matters. Some players do use Freerolls as a Bingo Game and just shove all-in on any two cards, But there are some serious players that use them as a Practice session that costs nothing to play and if you are a serious player you try different techniques and playing styles, in freerolls.
Poker is Poker no matter what the stakes are, I have played them for 20 years and still play better in Live games because of the practice I gain from them, The only difference I can see is when you buy-in to a game there are fewer Idiots you come up against, they are still a few but no where near as many.
On-line Poker has many faults, Losing connection is just one, but I don't mind losing the Internet when it cost's me nothing, Imagine buying into a game for $40 to $50 Dollars and you lose the connection, No Thanks! I keep On-line games Cheap and Cheerful and play purely for the pleasure I get from playing, Live games are where I might invest a lot more money, but if the Power goes out at least I would get my Buy-in back.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it doesn't matter what tournaments you play, no tournament spoils a player because the rules are the same everywhere, just maybe you know that the tournament is free to play doesn't matter why you lose and you don't care about these free tournaments, but if you take money from yourself you're already trying, I think that's the point in your case

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You can't make a lot of money in freerolls. But you can build a starting bankroll and grow in limits, improving your game.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
it doesn't matter what tournaments you play, no tournament spoils a player because the rules are the same everywhere, just maybe you know that the tournament is free to play doesn't matter why you lose and you don't care about these free tournaments, but if you take money from yourself you're already trying, I think that's the point in your case

I think perhaps you're not a good enough player yet to understand what the original poster is getting at. Personally I agree with the original poster - - playing freerolls can hinder your your progress to becoming a better player.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips

I also think that by playing them for a long time, we spoil our good game and don't know how to play normal tournaments anymore, for example
If you can't adjust your game to any given situation very fast, you simply don't have a "good game". Your statement or question therefore is obsolete.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Я думаю, возможно, вы еще недостаточно хороший игрок, чтобы понять, о чем идет речь в оригинальном постере. Лично я согласен с исходным плакатом: участие во фрироллах может помешать вашему прогрессу в становлении лучшего игрока.
I understand what we're talking about and a good player doesn't spoil simple freerolls. There is a very strong player who plays tournaments for $109 and he plays freerolls with me and his game doesn't change due to simple free tournaments. I think if your game goes bad because of this, you're already playing poorly and you need to change your game and learn how to practice like I do every day!

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we spoil our good game and don't know how to play normal tournaments anymore,
I would say you have a keen observation. If you're a newbie, it isn't the best to learn & train your game. Whence you have a good grasp of the game, however, it doesn't matter. :)

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Freerolls can spoil your game if you play every game and forma the same way.

...But learning how to play good quality poker, by necessity, requires the ability to adapt to:
  • the format,
  • stakes,
  • the stage of the game and
  • the playing field.

Sure you can just do it by maths and play GTO...but that leaves money on the table. And simply having the highest equity in a pot doesn't mean you're going to win it when the whole fishy table is calling your AA shove pre-flop.

In general, I think freerolls are a fine way to play to have fun, or to play and build a bankroll. But if your goal is to become better at playing poker, you need to be able to find the path to vicotry in whatever your chosen game is. In essence, you need to find, hone and exercise your "EDGE". In freerolls, that edge usually includes being very patient. PLaying tighter than the loose fishy table you're up against. Since freerolls are full of call stations, you need to put away the big bluffs until later in the game as you simply cannot bluff a call station off a pot.

By the same token, when you hit big, avoid slow playing against a loose table. You're not playing aghainst scared money here...so you'll often get action, even with over-sized bets.

Freerolls are better than play-money-chips since they have real prizes of value...but they suffer from many of the same issues as play-money-games since your opponents don't have any skin in the game. This attracts the "shove-any-two-cards" type of players (ie the gamblers/bingo players).

I've written previously on the topic of stratgies for winning freerolls. They can be won. And you can do so without sacrificing your solid background in strategic play. You just have to remember, that in a tourney with 2000 people and only 5 tickets to be won, the path to glory will be littered with failed attempts. Don't expect to win very often. But you should be able to get into a position to cash in several freerolls per week by playing solid poker.

Regards,
JT

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a way it does. But there is something to learn from freerolls. Also you can build bankroll out of it.

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Most freerolls are just rubbish!

There you will learn at most how to set the button to All.In in perfection.

You could also turn it into a shootout or a lottery, that would be better.

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can but it can also be cost effective way to improve your discipline. I have experienced that whatever mistakes you make in freeroll unconsciously you will make same mistake in any important tournament when you loose your concentration.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips

Somewhere I saw a humorous picture that depicted the evolution of man from ape to homosapiens according to Darwin's theory. And at the bottom there was an inscription that freeroll players will always remain at the ape level.:p

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
They're supposed to be a building block for some. Grow a little bankroll, give real money buy ins a shot and see how they do.

Many will be in for a rude awakening when they find out how different things can be. That's part of the learning process though. No harm in losing a roll that was built for free and having to drop back to freerolls as long as they do in fact learn.

Some will stay stuck in a perpetual cycle of never learning and wondering why their results are bad whenever they use the bankroll they built from freerolls on buy ins. The smarter ones will adapt, even if it's little by little and needing multiple shots to be able to hold their own.

As for players who regularly mix in freerolls with paid buy in tournaments, I don't think it's a problem. They should already know the score, and what kind of game they're in at the time.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Personally, I don't think that playing free tournaments can spoil my game, in my case I try to play the same in all the tournaments, that is, in a paid tournament or in a freeroll I don't make any distinction, I just try to play my best, I try to have more control in the free because we already know that they can be crazy, I have not seen my game be affected by playing freerolls

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

Yes, it is a debatable point, Freerolls are available to anyone, including the ignorant, the bored, in short those who just spoil or confuse (we are used to them). I wasn't talking about the CC tournaments in which the number of these creatures is less. Yes I agree that you can make a mess of the game if u play only in these games. It is very important not to lose focus on our game.

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
I don't like turbo and hyper turbo. I love freerolls with regular speed.

Top 10 Games Freeroll Passwords