Doing stupid moves out of boredom

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I observe such people in a cash game and can understand them. You play 2-3 hours at the table using a tight style. Opponents around raise constantly with strange hands. You got good cards a couple of times and you were moved on the river. Not winning a single bank in a few hours makes people furious.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get bored after the first couple of folds sometimes and start playing anything from everywhere. Only sometime though. And it works exactly as it should. I occasionally get lucky and win, but that is rare. I have a blast though it makes me laugh when my crap crap cards beat someone who is seriously trying!! haha

D

Damian Air

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone plays the 72 game eventually. Easier when your stacked mind. Used to show them. But, don't anymore. Just sit behind the screen laughing my head off when a sizable pot is taken off a maniac [emoji16]

D

Dlbcanuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Boredom is my biggest problem. But it might be caused by NOT playing multi table.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you ever find yourself getting bored or annoyed with some of the plays in online poker, that you end up doing stupid calls or raises?

I was in this position earlier today, when the table was very slow and people were calling/raising well out of position and mating to hit on the river. Ended up getting annoyed and shoving all in with a dud hand.

If you ever get like this, what do you do to avoid this kind of behaviour?

I don’t think I’ve ever felt like this playing live poker.

It helps me to have something else occupying my attention...

playing music, watching a movie, reading poker strategy maybe or surfing the web sometimes even catch up on social media during really long grinds...

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem of playing long tournaments is that hours of playing your best can be wasted by a single moment of desperation or by being tilted

E

E V A N

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ed, I have experienced the same thing so here was what I did to prevent it:

I increased the size of the buy ins/ stakes I was playing for!

This forced me to really focus in and make every hand an opportunity to examine my opponents behaviour. I also found it more exciting to play for more money (even if the table was slow).

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you can try another game than Hold'Em if you get bored by correctly folding... Maybe PLO8? Usuaslly there is a lot more action there and you can play more starting hands than in Holdem and still play a reasonable game...

EddMaster

EddMaster

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Maybe you can try another game than Hold'Em if you get bored by correctly folding... Maybe PLO8? Usuaslly there is a lot more action there and you can play more starting hands than in Holdem and still play a reasonable game...

I like this idea, but I find most other poker variations to be more of a gamble as I find them a lot harder to play. Maybe I just need to play them a bit more to understand what is a good starting hand, as I always think I’m good until the other person shows (especially Stud)

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get angry all the time for online plays,

you have to work the character to know how to endure and move on

usmc2doc

usmc2doc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I have been distracted to the point where I am on my phone and realize it is my turn and make a call looking at two decent cards without looking how much the bet was. Then, I am like damn! No way would i have called half my stack with KJo!! So it really has forced me to silence my phone and possibly even sit at my desk away from TV and phone. Boredom plays a huge role in me ALLOWING myself to be distracted. So like others i have been playing roughly 6 tables at a time now to limit boredom.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I make such kind of bad moves/decisions , morst of the time not because of boredom , but because I am frustrated by some great mistakes that I did , so I call/shove very loose or crazy . Also when sb else has given me a bad beat or made a loose/donkey call/shove and I lost a very large proportion of my stack , critical for the remaing of the tournament/sattelite, I might quit , shove ATC my last few remaining BBs and bye bye , go to sleep lol