EddMaster

EddMaster

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Do you ever find yourself getting bored or annoyed with some of the plays in online poker, that you end up doing stupid calls or raises?

I was in this position earlier today, when the table was very slow and people were calling/raising well out of position and mating to hit on the river. Ended up getting annoyed and shoving all in with a dud hand.

If you ever get like this, what do you do to avoid this kind of behaviour?

I don’t think I’ve ever felt like this playing live poker.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never shoved all in with a bad hand for no reason but tilt happens to everyone. When I am tilting I fold more of my middle range hands until I have calmed down and can get back to playing with the correct mindset.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never shoved all in with a bad hand for no reason but tilt happens to everyone. When I am tilting I fold more of my middle range hands until I have calmed down and can get back to playing with the correct mindset.

Neither have i, well maybe a true freeroll but never a buy in. Ive limped hands i would never play otherwise and try to stay cheap.
You have to ignore the donkey way some play any 2 and hit. Be prepare to play for 6 hours if its a turny, otherwise i wouldnt play. now cash games No id never throw away money with even calling silly shit like i have in turnys.
Like above says i fold even more hands til i get off tilt

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a horrible way to play this way but I to am guilty of frustration play:O) We need to learn to be smarter then the ones who play horrible and get them lucky cards. Hope things get a little better for you good luck

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One day you will find out (like me) that you cant do these things if you ever want to be profitable. If you want to be profitable,there is no room for "being bored". Its a grind, you are in for the money and you should enjoy the process, not force action.

If you are in for fun, its okay to do stupid stuff. As long as you enjoy it, its completely fine

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Do you ever find yourself getting bored or annoyed with some of the plays in online poker, that you end up doing stupid calls or raises?

1. Nope.

2. Play on 2 tables/or more, you can watch some documentary on yt (I do that... :) )

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I was in this position earlier today, when the table was very slow and people were calling/raising well out of position and mating to hit on the river. Ended up getting annoyed and shoving all in with a dud hand.

Ya I've done this but it is bad bad bad play.

When you do this you are ignoring table dynamics and even the guy behind you that is getting ready to reshove with his pocket KK....lol

This usually does not end up well and now you are "freed" up to do something more exciting like sifting through your email account!

I like the recommendation to play more tables to keep you occupied.

But really this kind of move is an exit strategy (from your present boredom).

Good luck !

EddMaster

EddMaster

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So I ended up going on a cash table for a while, which really helped. The cash table was much quicker and was in my element, so I’m well ahead of what I lost in the tourney earlier.

I really appreciate your responses and hope none of you end up in that horrible situation.

Good luck at the tables!! [emoji41]

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nope I don't get bored. It is a topic I have talked about at work a lot as a lot of people I work with are "bored" mostly all the time. I just don't understand it!!

I assume a person gets bored of something that they don't enjoy, so if poker is boring to you then maybe deep down you don't enjoy it??

As I don't really understand what boredom means, I am probably way off??

Hope you start to enjoy your poker game and shake off the boredom!!

EddMaster

EddMaster

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I assume a person gets bored of something that they don't enjoy, so if poker is boring to you then maybe deep down you don't enjoy it??

In regards to boredom/frustration on a poker table, I’m specifically referring to slow moving tables (i.e. when almost everyone on the table runs the timer to zero on every hand) and donkey play (like when they call your preflop raise with a off suit 2,9, hit nothing on the flop and call the next raise only to hit a 9 on the turn and then a 2 on the river. That kind of play makes my blood boil. But alas, I moved on to another table that was more suited to my style of play.

Dewmz

Dewmz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took a hiatus from online poker (poker in general really) and recently came back. I haven't really done anything like this recently, from boredom(though I have in the past). But I have made bad reads, and bad moves without having reads on people. Has cost me a few tourneys, but live and learn :D I just need to get back in the swing of things

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have for sure, but not very often, like all in 72 off just to see what happens. And sometimes at work when I gotta run its all in no matter what...

Last edited:
alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One day you will find out (like me) that you cant do these things if you ever want to be profitable. If you want to be profitable,there is no room for "being bored". Its a grind, you are in for the money and you should enjoy the process, not force action.

If you are in for fun, it's okay to do stupid stuff. As long as you enjoy it, it's completely fine

Yeah, 100% truth. It depends on if you're playing for fun or you're playing for a win. That's the beauty of poker. It can be for some people entertainment for their money, but then they shall be ready to lose for the sake of their gambling hazard. Like some people do with roulette or blackjack or slots for example.

But it also can be a profession or business, you name it. In the second case, you're not allowed to make too many mistakes of course. As every mistake costs you money, the money you'll have less at the end of the day.
So it's normal for the beginners or for the players who play poker in their free time, more for fun, than for money. But it's a lack for the ambitious and professional players. For the second group, such thoughts or tendencies shall be excluded in terms of maximizing their income.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Doing this out of boredom is obviously not good, but it beats the hell out of doing it because you think it's good poker. :heeeellll

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nope I don't get bored. It is a topic I have talked about at work a lot as a lot of people I work with are "bored" mostly all the time. I just don't understand it!!

Hope you start to enjoy your poker game and shake off the boredom!!

Oh yea, I understand frustration.

I get frustrated with my work mates who keep saying "I am BORED" I feel like strangling them :D :p

On a more serious note, I do get frustrated sometimes at the poker table, so I do understand that :)

W

winbig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get bored, per say, but I do get frustrated when I'm card dead for 2-3 orbits and itching to play. For this reason, I like the "Blitz" tables on the WPN skins, as well as turbo (5min blinds) tournaments, and also the $2 "Jackpot" 3 man 500 chips 3min blinds tourneys...I seem to play my best when I'm in that element.

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
This happens often. I believe that's because i play almost all freerolls where i can, and you know what is freeroll. There are many players who just throw all in every hand. Yesterday at PokerStars , at my table came player with 20bb and he always made big rise and than after flop went all in. It was so annoying and i know he is bluffing, so i called with AK. Flop was 9 4 K , than he just went all in. And of course i Call. He got 9 4 in hands and Turn was 4 . I was so Angry. After that he wrote at chat: LoL......

W

winbig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens often. I believe that's because i play almost all freerolls where i can, and you know what is freeroll. There are many players who just throw all in every hand. Yesterday at PokerStars , at my table came player with 20bb and he always made big rise and than after flop went all in. It was so annoying and i know he is bluffing, so i called with AK. Flop was 9 4 K , than he just went all in. And of course i Call. He got 9 4 in hands and Turn was 4 . I was so Angry. After that he wrote at chat: LoL......

I wish I wasn't in the USA so I could play with this guy :)

Oh, freeroll, oops.....you'll never see him on a real money table :(

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good way to avoid this is to play two tables, even if you have to play for half the stakes you normally would. I think these is true to boredom or just being tired. I know this because I had cashed in the 5k freeroll, only to play for 7 hours later. I was on a roll and then the loses kicked in. I wanted to win badly, after waiting months to actually have cash online. I became bored and started playing more draws. It didn't work out.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not exclude this possibility. If a long MTT, unwittingly commit mistakes. In this case it is better to get a stroll if the stack allows.

Poker_Player77

Poker_Player77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to at times. Not push my stack,but definitely call hands I shouldn't have when it gets like that. I agree with:

2. Play on 2 tables/or more, you can watch some documentary on yt (I do that... :) )

I'll open another table, or even throw on a TV show in the backfound as long as my tables are what takes my main focus.

Frank flores

Frank flores

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Happen all the time tilt tilt tilt all in player 1 wins with 3/8 off what a joke sometimes but as long as I'm winning I have no care in the world lol:D

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually this happens to me when a very long time is not a good card, I start to miss the game, and then break down and start to play on any card, even 7 2 sometimes suits me, here they are stupid calls and bets and all in

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What happens to me is that I get hooked with the player who is playing pity, and it shouldn't be that way but it happens to me often