Does it make sense to enter the tournament at late registration?

T

TmRRR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depende

Há jogadores que entrarão na pilha mais tarde, devido aos que já serão maiores, e conseguirão dobrar mais fácilem Short stack, já não é viável em jogos de KO, pois pode perder muitos bounty!:)

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to enter on late obly on satellites or at tpurneys when the average stack is obly 10% or fewer higher than the starts stacks, specially at bounty games, that are my preferres.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi all , as mentioned above late reg is fine if you have at least 25bb stack , anything less is just hope poker, I have had good games where I late regd , it helps with mtt that have 4-8 hr late reg , so you can reg with say 2hrs to go and 25bb+ , then that's ok ,
also mentally you may a slight edge, since you will be just starting and rivals would have been sitting for 4hrs+ , this results in you perhaps playing a bit tighter vs much looser and more trigger happy rivals ... just an idea ..
also you may be fresher vs the rest..
also some ppl myself included sometimes struggle playing deep stacked early on, end up bleeding off say 50% of starting stack in the 1st 2 hrs and end up thinking "I should have just entered after 2hrs with a full stack" :p

S

ssj3gokudbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember a twitch streamer who said that he never enters a MTT if he has less than 40 BBs. I applied this rule to myself and it's going great :)

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't use late registration if I get less than 50 BB, because I might not have time to wait for a good hand to double up and start playing in my usual style.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, it is better to play the tournament from the beginning. Unless, of course, you have an advantage over the field. This will make it possible to build a stack, subsequently press the bubble. There are more fish in the beginning, then they fly out, which is also minus ev. Especially in knockouts, there is generally nothing to do with a short stack.

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends. Sometimes it can be very beneficial to join in the late stages of registration. I will do it, but I always look at the average stack vs starting stack as well as the current blinds. I'm not going to buy-in with only 10 blinds and 10% of the average stack - that just doesn't make sense.

However, I have joined in the last 30 minutes and made it to final table many times.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A Long Shot?

I have seen some posts here that have used this strategy
to make it past the "bubble", so it has some merit
I suppose it could be a good strategy in certain circumstances

If you play well, and have a bit of luck,
you might be able to build your stack big enough
to get into the money or, possibly, even win

but it's going to be a long shot at best

and you are going to be facing the big stacks right away
so, your chances of making the final table may be rather slim

That said, good luck to you, should you try this strategy

You will need it :rolleyes:

TC

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to think of late registration as a tool to allow you to play a comfortable number of tables for you.

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker for Life

It' depends on how many levels are left. I don't mind letting levels go by and jumping in at the halfway mark. Late registration allow flexibility to those who may not be able to register from the start of tourney just got to keep in mind those blinds eat at your bag a little more aggressively though if you wait too late.

blef121

blef121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, it makes sense to me, there are good tournaments that I didn’t have time to enter, I go to late registration, of course, if there are high blinds and a small stack at the beginning, then entering is hardly the best idea

Tredford

Tredford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
25-30 bb at resgistration

I like to buy in when there is about 25-30bb stacks.
In most of the games I play online, that's about 30 mins left in a 1.5-2hr reg period.
I find at this level :
1/ your stack is still well more than half the average stack
2/ you are not quite at the Push-Fold point, but if you DO get a good hand and there is a raise ahead of you, it can make sense to shove and double up to over average stack.
3/ the money bubble is only about 60 mins away.

A

Ac3 Meister

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personaly dont engage in a late tournamnet if it has been playing for well over 30 mins. On the other hand, I have some previous experience on winning one tournament by getting luck at the start and making up for lost time in a few quick all-in-shove hands.
It's better to start fresh and play from the begining this way you get a better feel for whats going on at your table.