Does it make sense to enter the tournament at late registration?

YRAGAGARIN

YRAGAGARIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, it’s morally more difficult for me to play with late registration, because. I believe that someone has a stack many times more

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Depends on how much later we're talking about ... also the number of participants (higher = better) and blinds increase structure (slower = better). That dude with the big stack at one of these tables you're so afraid of is actually doing you a favor. Just like the planet Jupiter draws all these pesky asteroids away from Earth, he's busy with neutralizing all these LAGs before they become a dangerous nuisance for you if you, on the other hand, stay out of his way (in theory, at least).

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It makes sense to participate in late registration, since most of the players are eliminated and those who are set up for the game, and not for entertainment, remain.

M

Master_nolios

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Most late entries are starting at push or fold situations. So luck is a big factor. I prefer late reg because I don't mind pushing.

G

gamis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson once said: “poker is an information game”

So: the longer you took to get into the game, the less time you had to gather information from your opponents and consequently the lower your chance of making the correct move against the right opponent

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally, it’s morally more difficult for me to play with late registration, because. I believe that someone has a stack many times more
I've found entering a trny during late-reg is actually beneficial to my style of play. Sure, I like starting the little to no late-reg tourneys from the beginning because of the easy play. But most of the tourneys, lately, seem to have a deep late-reg period which eases up players' starting range since they can buy-back in during this time, imo. So I wait and see how many players are in it about an hour or two left during late-reg and if there's less than a 150 players then I'm in. Remember, you're usually just a double-up or two from catching up and cashing. That's why there's players w/stacks bigger than yours, utilize them. GL. :icon_thum

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that all tournaments are late registration, which is to reach the guarantee, even live has late registration, and yes if you don't like to enter the beginning of the tournament and only enter the middle of it, I usually do that!

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

but lots of player are going to have a shorter stack than yours so thats irrelevant. the main issue with late registration is that you will have less time to make a good stack and unlike players who build a good stack early in the tournament you wont have that opportunity. However as an advantage since you started playing late, you will be less tired than the players who started early and also players tend to play more tight on middle and late stages of the tournament so you wont be facing many difficult postflop scenarios.

donmoore30

donmoore30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Late Registration

I don't mind jumping in late on low stakes buy-in's and try to push for an early double up, but for higher money tournaments I prefer to start from the beginning to get a read on the table and increase my chances for an early stack lead! Good Luck

Don

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends which style of play a player got

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes, sometimes it makes sense to enter the tournament at late registration. It depends on what you want to achieve from that tournament.
If your target is to reach "in the money" in shortest possible time then late registration at eleventh hour is a good strategy.
On the other hand, if you wish to win the tournament or at least want to be in final table then enter the tournament when it begins.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

I used to think not because you get alot of all ins early in a tournament and you could chip up. It seems like I have good luck entering late if I wait for a good hand, even though the blinds are high. You can see the bullies with big stacks betting big in every hand and pounce on em. It's been working out for me.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
for many of us it is difficult, but there are those who have their strategies, some enter and it is simply a push or fold, if they lose they rebuy until the rebuy and the add on close, that is if the tournament has a rebuy, if not it is a push fold and that's it, I know because I know of people who do it, a few years ago they tried to get me to do that, but that's not my thing.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will but only I would still have at least 25bb equivalent starting stack. Otherwise you need to get a great shoving hand very early to double up. May be card dead for a while.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely a preference opinion. I personally have leaned more towards being primarily a late reg player because of valuing my time. Do I really want to play 4+ hours to fight for a min cash at the micro stakes? No. But if I can do the same but only play 1-2 hours, it's personally better for me. Sure, having a larger stack to play with to find those better situations and learn more about players over time is beneficial, but I usually don't want to play in tournaments that long if I can help it.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to think not because you get alot of all ins early in a tournament and you could chip up. It seems like I have good luck entering late if I wait for a good hand, even though the blinds are high. You can see the bullies with big stacks betting big in every hand and pounce on em. It's been working out for me.

Exactly my sentiments. No one knows you late regged except for the table you draw so it's an advantage as described here, especially for bounty MTTs. You're more likely to double up with your less than avg stack

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love late registration, I doubled in or flew out, everything is very easy and simple))but I save an extra two hours

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As always, it depends. If your game is to build a bank while there is no ante and the betting is small, then you would start early, otherwise, not.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yup, unless you are down below 10bb or so at that point.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there was no time to register earlier, then it makes sense when you really want to play in this tournament. Many people use this moment to increase the chance of getting into the money zone.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
some people have bigger bankroll and just want to play middle stages than grind early stages

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything makes sense if you feel confident.

archielrv

archielrv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too late

I think that it is not relevant if the registration is not too late, especially in not so fast tournaments, but in Hyper or turbo it does not make sense since the blind could be so high that it forces you to play without much analysis

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will join in late if it is like 15 or 20 minutes in, any later than that and I fear the stack sizes of other players start to get too large.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the speed of the tournament and how many blinds there are, in addition to the prize, I don't think it's profitable to play with fewer blinds for such a small prize