Do you take a break from poker during bad streak or play through it?

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
many years i tried to keep playing after a bad strike i mean something important like many hands that will decrease drasticaly my earnings, but what i realise the best way at least for me after a bad period in poker is to take a small break, nothing serious, maybe few days and have some nice time outdoor, that usually help alot

Orathion

Orathion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Walk away, rest relax and do something else till you feel you're back to normal and don't recall the bad streak, i wouldn't say days but it could be less or longer till those losses don't bother you anymore. I need to work on this myself.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a lot less when cards are going against me keeps me from going on tilt.

L

Lucretius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I take a break if im running bad in a session to gain my mental game back

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you have to take a break from almost everything that you do on a regular basis. I thinking about taking a break now, bad beat city.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I agree taking a break helps. However, the card gods usually get me to play and I start losing. I going to try a new system five freerolls then a money tournament.

B

bealpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is variance, taking a break wont fix your downswing if you don't get affected by it and start to play different, you just have to accept poker is a game of probability and with any probability if you run it over a large sample their is going to be points of interest (run bad) you have to accept these keep grinding and understand - if youre playing right, that all will be well in the end

G

gryllz_wins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I have lost a lot of bankrolls just by playing tilted. I go on a bad streak get tilted, bad streak now is accompanied by bad plays ;). Now I try to have breaks, chill, recharge my batteries, and go watch some poker streams, those usually get me motivated to start again. So I do recommend going on brakes when you are unlucky. Good luck!

M

marfuki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My usual habt is to take a break, I tried a few times to play through it and this strategy did not work for me, i manages perhaps 3 out of 10 times which is not good enough :)

Popescu97

Popescu97

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
In this case i have a break and a Kit Kat :))

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been there, done that, many times. I would get on a win streak and think I was a poker god. Then the game would slap me down and I would try to play though it. Well, that didn't work out too well. Eventually I realized my game play had changed when I thought I was invincible. I stopped playing and started reading up on poker and watching some coaching videos. When I got back to the tables I didn't win a lot but I played better and made the money enough times to make me feel better about my game.

L

LedZeffelin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It worked for Phil G and it works for me. Just sayin.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed a pattern for me, I will play well and go on good streaks for two to three days and then start to decline and have bad beats.

Is it better to play through these bad streaks or to take a break for a few days?

(This applies for cash games too)
Taking a break from poker can give you a feeling of clarity that was previously lacking. When you play too often (always when awake), your thoughts may be constantly affected by the game. Many grind hours and repeating the same situations also increase the risk of playing on autopilot. It’s clear to everyone that if you don’t think through the decisions well enough, you will not have the opportunity to maximize your advantage over your opponents.
Rest from the game allows you to think about the decisions made at the tables, and change what could repeatedly lead to negative sessions. Instead of constantly jumping at the tables in the midst of the game, spend a little time away from the tables, giving yourself the opportunity to clear your mind in order to evaluate and work out potential errors or problems that may arise in your game in the future.Everyone sometimes has to fight with downswains and take the necessary rest. This applies to most poker players, and even those who do not play high stakes and for whom poker is not the main source of income. It’s just that sometimes a game takes too much of our time and energy, which in itself is not good for us. A pause break often gives you many benefits: from improving your game to improving your quality of life. Take advantage of this opportunity and you will see how it will change the old sensations.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Take a break from playing and use that time to strengthen you game skills.
The game is constantly changing and we all need too up-skill.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is good to observe the bad times and take a break.

K

kingofnaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP is right, they've done studies which show going outside drastically reduces built up stress, and brings greater clarity.
I take a break if I've been playing poorly.

P

PacManUkrPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to give the brain rest otherwise there will be only losses

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
taking a break is always a good idea but you should invest time in studying the game or else the break wont be so much profitable..

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed a pattern for me, I will play well and go on good streaks for two to three days and then start to decline and have bad beats.

Is it better to play through these bad streaks or to take a break for a few days?

(This applies for cash games too)
I might play less games and definitely play super micro's when on bad streak but I don't completely stop.