Do you open up your range when you are the big stack?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are a big stack, you can see many more hands, you can open your range, also depends on the players you have on the table if a table tight, I think you can leverage your stack and be aggressive, but you should always have care with another big stack, you should also see how many bb have the villain, all those things are important.
gl:D

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hell Yeah!!!! (lol)

but you cant play from out of position, that is stupid no matter what.
And you also have to watch out for people who are in short stack/shove mode, makes playing that 9-8s very nerve racking... :)

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i have bigstack my early pos opening range stays the same, but play more
hands mid to late position, and use the stack to put pressure on villains.

Very often the problems is not playing alot of hands, often the problem comes
when get hands like AA, AK, KK, QQ, JJ, AQ and battle smaller stacks
in all ins preflop :D

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to put a small stack to the test for all their chips, but I want to have at least and ok hand with some potential to do this just in case they call. :)

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much the title. This is a situation that I'd like to think isn't uncommon and I was wondering how you folks like to approach it. I'm sure that every situation is different, but is there a general approach anyone takes? Do you get in more pots and try to bully people? Do you open up a but otherwise play mostly the same as otherwise? Or maybe don't change anything at all? What do you guys do?

When I have a big stack I open my range more simply because I can afford to take a little more risk playing suited connectors and stealing blinds in position.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still play mostly in position and I do have a lot more confidence in my QT suited. I do watch my stack though, I try not to get to crazy and just throw them around. Sometimes I will like instigate a fight so to speak and start the betting for two or more other players duke it out while I step out and watch. An example would be to min raise a bet when 3 players are in the hand already, usually one of them will bet over that and the battle begins. lol

Last edited:
P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much the title. This is a situation that I'd like to think isn't uncommon and I was wondering how you folks like to approach it. I'm sure that every situation is different, but is there a general approach anyone takes? Do you get in more pots and try to bully people? Do you open up a but otherwise play mostly the same as otherwise? Or maybe don't change anything at all? What do you guys do?
Yes often I player larger depending to the stacks. Play stronger if there are many stack which should restill

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with Big stack, you can put a lot of pressure on your opponents, and the truth gives more freedom to see the flop

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love it when the bigger stacks bully, it creates massive opportunities for short stacks and to be honest, when you are short stacked and you need chips, table bullies are vital to have..

Long live the the bully!

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the key word that the pros use here is 'adjustment'.

When you think of 'adjustment', you picture a watchmaker with a magnifer and a tiny gear on a watch.

You don't think 'sledgehammer'.

At the beginning, I often over-adjusted (though late opens such as SB vs BB can sometimes theoretically justify this).

Think small adjustments and go from there...

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If I have a very but very good stack if I try to open the range but also everything depends on some factors and situations, but always taking care not to lose my chips in a foolish way and trying not to lose control of my game

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the dynamics on the table ...if the table is full off lose players then is beter to be tight end vice versa if is table with tight player then get lose end reise more preflop...this is old but still worth it

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By all means yes. What better time to do it after all.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah of course - put pressure in shorter stacks

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My level of aggression depends on the stage of the tournament, and opponents.
The Green Paper Phil Gordon says that at different stages of tournament play with a different range of cards.
You have to remember that even with a large stack of participating in the drawing of your stack becomes less if you do not win.