Do you open up your range when you are the big stack?

EnigmaTTO

EnigmaTTO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much the title. This is a situation that I'd like to think isn't uncommon and I was wondering how you folks like to approach it. I'm sure that every situation is different, but is there a general approach anyone takes? Do you get in more pots and try to bully people? Do you open up a but otherwise play mostly the same as otherwise? Or maybe don't change anything at all? What do you guys do?

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if i have large stack i like to lean but depends who im playing, the more timid they are the easier. be careful it can bite u.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are no universal recipes in poker. You have to look at the players, the structure of the tournament and the prizes, and even how often you hit the board with your cards ...

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tournie I like to open wide with any two cards. If the table is pushing back then I might limp into some pots and of course trying to play position.

As a big stack - let me amend that - huggge stack - you have the luxury of being involved in every pot. Sometimes your opponent will shut down and if you are in position....take advantage of their mistakes.

Good luck !

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Of course until when players allow it and want it! :D
If you, however, have a lot more than twice the advantage of the other big stack better be careful, because as a rule you will be less lucky in the river! :icon_prof
ftr.jpg

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a large stack, you can play more freely, but still do not lose your head, and then you can stay with nothing.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With big stack, you can put pressure on Blinds, you can even three bet light against an open. I use the 3bet light a lot because now a day, people raise with any two suited card; so it is much better to 3bet. But you have to be careful not over doing it because they will call you down.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the players who are present on the table. if I have the opportunity to impose myself on the table I seize the opportunity and continue to play wide but if it has too much activity on the table I play tighten to benefit at least a good reputation to be able to fly some pot.

W

Wiliest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think pressuring your opponents is usually the correct strategy with a big stack, but you can also go too far and end up getting taken advantage of by the shortys.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the table "allows it",,i will steal blinds and push around abit.;)

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

With a big stack you can exert pressure at your opponets.For example A8 a middle hand can be played like A Q if you got enough chips to pressure .Also you can call easier your outs for a straight or a flush ....

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe but I really open my range when the table lets me. Trust me , when the table doesnt allow it, my range shrinks quite a bit

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is usually expected for big stack to be looser.. I know i used to have a problem of letting big stacks get to my head and end up losing it all. Now i've learned it is better to play small ball poker when u have a big stack, and steal pots... without calling all ins unless ur nutted of course.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know what happens to the hands when I am deep. AA KK QQ go down in value small pocket pairs go way up in value implied odds. TPTK goes WAY down. Big aces go way down. SConnectors with 1 gappers go up in value. Ace nuts flush goes way up in value.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do way too often.. then I end up short stacked and try to tighten up.. Biggest leak I have.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll tend to call in position more, but it depends on the players. The one thing I don't recommend is blindly getting more aggressive preflop just because you cover your opponents. Make sure you take into account how often they will fold to a reraise or cbet if you are going to try to be a big stack bully.

Ikeman74

Ikeman74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a strictly Select of Hands which I play and not.Im not leaving this strategy,wether I have a big or small Stack.
Why sould I suddenly Play 72off?This is a loosing Hand and I dont want to give my Chips away easily.Soon enough the Blinds will be that high,that my Stack will not be too big anymore.
But it could be that I call higher Raises than normal,but with the right Hand too.

Ricardo007

Ricardo007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only strategy and knowing the time to bet and give up, an example: if you have pair kk and flop comes 3AA and your opponent all-in you think he's bluffing? It pays to see him go out with a full house court bigger than yours or a crack and you with two pairs, dude, is it okay to jump out and risk losing everything?

Ikeman74

Ikeman74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a strictly Select of Hands which I play and not.Im not leaving this strategy,wether I have a big or small Stack.
Why sould I suddenly Play 72off?This is a loosing Hand and I dont want to give my Chips away easily.Soon enough the Blinds will be that high,that my Stack will not be too big anymore.

But it could be that I call higher Raises than normal,but with the right Hand too.

P.S:And I call more All-Ins,but only if I know that whats left is still enough if I might loose.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your stack is 2-3x the other players at the tables stack then you shoulder consider opening a little wider. Be flexible with what you 3-bet, you'll take a lot of hands down pre-flop.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Yes, especially when the blinds are low if I have more than doubled my stack early and again later in the tourny it's good to put pressure on the short stacks trying to min cash.

:top:

A

Anna Nikolaeva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still tend to think it's a matter of luck and bluff.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I m short stacked , I just wait for the opportunity to reraise or go all in on lose and wide opens of big stack bully

MolonAA

MolonAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I open the range, yes, I think it's natural, it's even better because you can put pressure on your opponents, but it requires a lot of care too.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my stacks are deep I have a tendency to open up my play, but not a large change honestly. I may extract pressure on certain players if I believe them to be weak. Don't get me wrong I'm not going give my chips away. I am only going to test the waters and if my stack keeps getting deeper than I will keep enjoying this more open style of play until I deem it time to tighten my game back a little bit. Opening up your starting hands is a living and breathing thing with your stack size. It's actually kind of neat, because while your starting hands are opening up a bit, in all reality somebody else's starting hand are tightening up. It's like the Yin and the Yang. I do believe though, that if your stacks are deep that you should definitely me more aggressive with your hands. Just don't start getting silly on us or your stack will dwindle in short fashion.