Do you get nervous as your stack dwindles?

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When you start a tournament and start to fall behind, do you end up losing patience or getting nervous watching your stack shrink?

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
yeh when my stack starts shrinking then my become very selective on what i play

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No... sometimes i even dont see me going down D:

sibkaz

sibkaz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament the blinds are small and so the range can be extended, it's cheap to watch the flop and catch something... So it's better to do that than to watch the stack shrink and get nervous ) But of course you have to be mindful of position, or you can lose everything )

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Well, I wouldn't say nervous, but when I'm behind in big blinds, I have to adapt my gameplay.

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
That's my problem. When I see my stack is going down and blinds going up I often make bad choices as I kmow I am way nehind others and there might be time when I don't have enough chips for blinds. So I'm getting nervous and often forgetting about my stratego.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't let it affect me at all. Honestly it doesn't matter how I'm doing vs. how the other stacks are doing (UNLESS it's a PKO where I'm needing to cover as many of the other stacks as possible because if I don't it will negatively affect the money I can potentially win in them when gaining KO's/bounties).

All one needs to do is 'adjust your play based upon the number of bb's you have in YOUR stack'. Don't let yourself fall into the thinking that you're falling behind and need to catch up. This is completely irrelevant & yet commonly believed to matter... but it doesn't matter!

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Depending on the tournament and prize money, nervousness occurs to a greater or lesser extent

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello everyone. I used to panic when I switched from playing with chips to displaying the stack in BB. Now I try to pay less attention to it, as it can affect my decisions. I just try to keep the stack at the same level. I feel more comfortable with a medium stack than a large one - I'm less scattered 🤩🤩 and make decisions faster (kind of like SPR).

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I’m nervous and start looking for a card to throw all-in and at least make up for the losses a little.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
1 Tournament with more than 1,000 people participating in the first games gradually losing chips is really worrying, usually I go all in.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When you start a tournament and start to fall behind, do you end up losing patience or getting nervous watching your stack shrink?
Hi
I don't get nervous, I don't lose patience. On the contrary, I become even more focused and attentive. I have been playing poker for more than 8 years, and during this time I realized that my patience is the key factor, so I play calmly and with concentration in all situations :)
Good luck :)

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It depends on the situation in which it decreases.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, Everybody is becoming more nervous, when his stack is dwindling... By my opinion, this is normal condition of Human. That's all!

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I do start to get nervous. Once I've got less than 10BB it's any ace or any pair and I'm all-in.

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Your strategy will change when you get short stacked but it doesn't make me nervous.

I get more nervous if it is a large pot for the chip lead as this will then increase my chances of winning the tournament.

I don't usually look at the chip leader board as this only matters when you are at the final table and you can't win until you reach the final table. Many people have been the chip leader and never won.

It's best to concentrate on you stack size in relation to the BB.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your mistakes are less magnified when you have a smaller stack than a larger stack. Smaller stacks are easier to play as you look for re jam opportunities pre flop over an opener around 20 BBs and then 15 BBs and less you are open jamming yourself. When you get small stacked there should be no post flop play from you, its all a pre flop game so the opposite happens with me. I am less nervous and much more comfortable with a small stack than I am big stack. Plus, when you get to a certain stack size, lets say 30 BBs or so, you should be much more willing to call down when you have top pair and stronger so that also makes the game easier since you will be bluffed less. You might call off into an opponents value hand but you wont be bluffed. Given everything, you should be less nervous with a smaller stack than a large stack where a mistake can cost you many more chips.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's not a nice feeling to fall behind from the start and I prefer playing with a big stack and maybe control the table, but I'm not really losing patience with a smaller stack and I still try to play close to my A game, find good spots/ make good decisions and hopefully chip up and get back into the game... I remember DNegs saying something like You can't win the tournament in the early stage, but you can lose all your chips , so I try to keep that in mind and don't push my luck too much when the blinds are low and overplay some of my hands just because I've lost a few hands early on..

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
up to 10bb everything is ok, but if the stack is lower than 10bb I start to worry

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YES I do get nervous when my stack really shrinks. I have learned to be somewhat patient but to put chips in when I get a decent hand.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Don’t get nervous just play your stack size. Work it out ahead of time that way if you get there you will already know what to do.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
No, if I have fewer chips, I just wait for a strong hand and try to double and win the pot to increase my chips, I just play with more chips and lose everything even with a good hand, well, sometimes it's just lucky poker that means someone else

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't generally get nervous, but starting to run short on stack does force me to take more risks than I'd prefer, and it becomes quite uncomfortable.