badbanking79

badbanking79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
I wonder if you need skills or is it plain luck to win hyper tournaments, with blinds raising every 2 minutes long waits for decent hand easily eat all your blinds.

I dont play them personally, unless they are freerolls.

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more like lottery. But when you get trough once, at some point the blinds raising not that fast (when I'm right). But you need a bunch of luck, but therefore, there are many of them out there ^^

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if you need skills or is it plain luck to win hyper tournaments, with blinds raising every 2 minutes long waits for decent hand easily eat all your blinds.

To be honest, never seen 2 min hypers, except sattelites. Usually 3-4 mins. I like them. It is fast, so plenty people, who dont sit long hours for poker tourneys, like it fast, hobbists play it. There are huge gaps in their game, as they dont know much about the push/fold, as they (everybody) rarely reach final phases of turbo/normal tourneys, where it happens.

But the variance is much higher. One of the high stake guy who i occassionaly watch how he plays online said: he recommends for normal speed 200 BuyIns, for turbo 400BI, for hyper 800BI on an average 1000 reg tourney field. I pretty much agree. Obviously less is less, i prefer to play the few hundred reg hypers, so the variance cant go insane so often....

And if it is satellites, especially under 10$ buyin, play only hypers, anyway, upper levels dont have many hypers, not even satties.

If you want to play them, watch the given tourneys tables for a while, as you definitely need to change plenty things for hypers.

GL!

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I recommend slow tournaments because they give you the opportunity to achieve a good result. As for the hyper, you cannot always benefit from what you have learned from poker strategies and skills.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I used the hypers as a training ground for MTT short stack/late game play.

Winning 1 hyper will come down to mostly luck, but being successful over thousands of tournaments will take skill. ;)

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend slow tournaments because they give you the opportunity to achieve a good result. As for the hyper, you cannot always benefit from what you have learned from poker strategies and skills.
Hi.
I completely agree with you, the strategy in the hypertournament is not very applicable, here luck is more influential, because they often go all-in.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Skills are needed anyway. I believe that even in hyper tournaments, your skills significantly increase your chances of success. Although in general, hyper tournaments are a lottery.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, for me, hyper turbo tournaments are just a lottery and nothing more, luck is more important than the skills that you acquire! I'm not saying that these tournaments are bad, there are people who like them, they like fast play and they just don't have time for regular tournaments! For example, sometimes I can play just a turbo tournament, but this happens very rarely! As the saying goes, "there are no comrades in taste and color," each his own suits! Good luck to everyone at the tables and big wins!

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
a little bit of both , you don't have time to wait to make a hand or to play your game how you usually play , so you have to be more aggressive in your play , but in the end it is more luck :)

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are multi-tabling games, you need to teach push-fold. 1 table is not profitable to play. I don't play hyper, but I condemn.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
no matter in which poker format you play, whether hyper or slow, you will always need skills. And in order to survive the hyperturbos, I would say that you bring even more skills. And it is definitely not for passive players, it is a fold push game and you have to be able to decide quickly. sometimes when i'm in the mood then also play hyperturbos but lately not so much. There's a lot more action in hyperturbos but definitely not every mans thing. You also need a lot of luck, but isn't that always the case that besides the skills you also need luck?

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You can't "wait for a decent hand" - knowing that is part of the skill. You need to know what range is appropriate for your number of blinds, position, number of remaining players, and time to the next blind level.

Mastering short stack ICM is critical for doing well in these.

Whether you win any particular tournament will be largely influenced by luck, your ROI for a large number of tournaments will be largely skill.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play turbos, but not hyper turbos. There is always a luck factor, but I know I will make better decisions than my opponents so I welcome the blinds going up. I just can't stand when I get 72, 83, 84, etc for 8 or 9 hands in a row and can't make a play and keep getting jammed.

With hyper turbos, you start off with a smaller stack size do you not? This is why I prefer turbos.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In these tournaments, luck plays an important role, but skills are also needed !!!

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are tough to go deep in for sure. I would also much rather play this in a freeroll.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In this type of tournament you need a lot of skill, not only luck will be enough, you must know what you are doing, I am not talking about having a plan but a kind of strategy and which should be accompanied with a little luck

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

With a deep starting stack, you can take the same approach as in regular multi-table tournaments. The blinds and antes are too small to steal; What's more, get the bonuses of playing rigorously early on in the early stages by building a tight image. You can force your opponents to fold after you widen your range by stealing blinds and antes.and then yes, you need a lot of luck in order to lug hyper tournaments. However, having gained a good stack at the beginning of the tournament, you can significantly reduce the variance and gain the necessary advantage for further push / fold

A

airvikki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In any case, skills are needed, one cannot hope for luck alone, but it will not hurt here, because there is no time to wait for a super hand. I don't like hyper turbo tournaments, I like deep stacks

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are very similar to knock-out tournaments. When you get a good card, very rarely you play one-on-one, at least 3-4 players in the game and these are absolutely crazy guys... I think, there is no strategy or tactics, because it's impossible to sit and observe for a long time...

Hyper turbo + knockout out it's a hell a mix! :) But for a game of multi-tables, it's may be relevant, so that the game goes very quickly and does not need a lot of attention.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still think that even with a fairly smart game, the percentage of luck is higher than skill, my personal experience!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Of course it takes skill... a different one vs. deep stacked mtt but it still takes skill!

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to be clear about the ranges, and the rest of luck because they pay you very soft.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Your skills (knowledge of push-fold) will increase your chances to win this lottery. But don't be confused by the results, it's still a game with the biggest variance (=the most luck-dependent).