Do you need skills or is it a lottery, Hyper tournaments

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My 6max-HT shark since I started playing them. It's the kind of tournament where I get my best results, it's a lot of consistency and dedication, not luck...
I love playing HT. The field is smaller, the edge over the fishs is even more evident and you don't have to spend long and long hours playing... Hope I can move up the stakes soon and play some low-medium stakes, trying to get better payouts.

I think my chart already answers your question, what do you think? Dedication, consistency and studies or am I just too lucky?
:confused:

Attachments

• wq.jpg
    wq.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 19
C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The variation is much greater, but that doesn't mean it's pure luck. Know the right spots to pull everything in, watch which hands players are pulling, press the saber when you have a bigger stack. There are many things that eliminate a dependent less on luck and more on mathematics.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that hyper tournaments are basically a lottery, no matter how well you use the push-fold strategy, it doesn't work, moving in such tournaments is very common, if you are lucky enough to catch a card first, you may be in the prizes. Skill plays little role here, I have not seen regulars who constantly play hyper tournaments.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They turn into an ICM test very quickly, so you just need to understand the ICM of the format.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
They turn into an ICM test very quickly, so you just need to understand the ICM of the format.

But apparently (comment from other poster above) ICM doesn't apply to these tourneys :confused:

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think hyper tournaments are almost pure luck. You have almost no time and chips to play patiently and to make some moves.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hyper turbo luck plays a significant role + study the Nash table

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To win hyper tournaments, you need to be proficient in a push-fold strategy. The skill to know with which hands, when to exhibit.

badbanking79

badbanking79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
I have been doing some hypers satellites at poker stars lately, and I am starting to think it requires some skills.

Of course you need some luck as well but I got to 55USD buy in tournament by entering one freeroll with 2826 players, got second in that, and the three and ended up winning a 55 USD tourney ticket.

But since I started focusing on those hypers I have seen my performance increase, now I am sounds bad, but its good compare its hyper and 3000 participants, I usually get to top 200 in the tourneys.

I also do hyper at Danske Poker (partypoker network) and I have stopped buying in to tourneys because I get into tourneys for few cents.

Maybe beginners luck, but lets see, Ill post if I get some significant win from those hypers. :)))

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course it takes skill... a different one vs. deep stacked mtt but it still takes skill!

Everyone's chances are equal before the start of the game. The advantage of hyper tournaments is that they end quickly. Game skills are difficult to apply in such competitions. Yes, it is a lottery. But the lottery smiles on everyone sooner or later. :)

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hyper tournaments are fast, confident and of course lucky, no other way to get high there. No matter what anyone says, a strategy is needed at least to win the bankroll in the game.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
90% luck hypers and 10% skills to know when to push when to call all in etc.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
skills are needed everywhere, you just need to understand how to play hyper turbo mode and that's it

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
My 6max-HT shark since I started playing them. It's the kind of tournament where I get my best results, it's a lot of consistency and dedication, not luck...
I love playing HT. The field is smaller, the edge over the fishs is even more evident and you don't have to spend long and long hours playing... Hope I can move up the stakes soon and play some low-medium stakes, trying to get better payouts.

I think my chart already answers your question, what do you think? Dedication, consistency and studies or am I just too lucky?
:confused:
Great example!
Definitely you need skill.
You had to know better the push or fold ranges in the different positions, and depending on how many players are all in before you.
Is not about going all in the first hand.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Skill plays little role here, I have not seen regulars who constantly play hyper tournaments.

Hmm... Interesting. I have seen many 'winning' regulars who not only include Hypers in their schedule but there have been MANY more who specialize in them.
And, if it happens to attract lots of casual players (non-regs.) this makes them even better!

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think it's mostly a lottery. The blinds are growing so fast that there is no time to think and you have to constantly double up)

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's important to have skills in any type of poker game. Because every type has its own details.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I wonder if you need skills or is it plain luck to win hyper tournaments, with blinds raising every 2 minutes long waits for decent hand easily eat all your blinds.

I dont play them personally, unless they are freerolls.
I play in hyper tournaments if it's freerolls. Of course, skills will never be superfluous even in tournaments of this format, but in hyper tournaments, in my opinion, everything is decided by the luck of the player.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play freerolls either, one thing is a sit-go where 6 people, another is a tournament where 4000 people, so I don't spin the wheel at 888, these hyper tournaments are idiotic

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like hyper tournaments, really much. Those tournaments depends on luck not skills. If you want achieve something in this kind of tournament you must win all ins in short time of play so it's luck a lot.

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
hyperturbations are a lottery. It's better to play slow tournaments to be successful.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I wonder if you need skills or is it plain luck to win hyper tournaments, with blinds raising every 2 minutes long waits for decent hand easily eat all your blinds.

I dont play them personally, unless they are freerolls.
In these fast tournaments I believe it's more luck than skill to win. I play sometimes just to relax and to test my luck. lol

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hyper are 80% luck and 20% skill. I just hate it.