Do you call an all in with a draw?

long_bong

long_bong

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always go for the win, but know where the fold button is obviously. But aggression in them stages picks up tons tons tons of dead scared chips/money.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion Why? why risk all your chips when you have enough to cash? I play tight as possible til in the money.You can not win a mtt in one hand but you sure as hell can lose it with one hand.

Don't. Being too tight is just as bad as being too loose. The aim is to make good decisions.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't. Being too tight is just as bad as being too loose. The aim is to make good decisions.

Exactly - you have to strive to play like Goldilocks - not too tight, not too loose - but JUST RIGHT :D And many times that will mean playing counter to what your survival instincts think are best.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly - you have to strive to play like Goldilocks - not too tight, not too loose - but JUST RIGHT :D And many times that will mean playing counter to what your survival instincts think are best.

its more of a leak to be too tight than wide, just like its more of a leak to be too aggressive than too passive

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its more of a leak to be too tight than wide, just like its more of a leak to be too aggressive than too passive

Yeah - and BTW - playing "just right" is always situational - that's what makes it seem like such a puzzle and why the answers to all questions start with "it depends...".

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he shoulda raised all in on the flop with 2 draws ... it's like he was pre-trapping before he hit, which is not too smart, since he has to play the hand out in his head and realize that he was around 40% to hit on the turn, which would put him in a situation where the right play would be to fold to a reasonable bet

he may have felt either pot committed at that point or had already made up his mind that this was going to be one of his tourney hands

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont have anything against going all in on a flush draw or up-and-down straight draw, but the situation has to be right. If I was sitting in 3rd place out of 16 with the top 12 cashing, I would absolutely not push all in. Take a deep breath, fold it, and get ITM

C

charbarj41

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on tournament structure more than anything else

S

seymourflopsws3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that he should of pushed on the flop when he was 60% favorite. The reason he might call a shove on the turn when hes now a 70% underdog and has surrendered all fold equity may be down to the pot odds and whether or not he was committed.
If the pots offering him 2-1 there then hes gettin paid to call off all his chips with around 33% equity which he has (roughly) on the turn. If you can give stack sizes, pot sizes and blinds it would be helpful.
If he had already put in a decent amount of his stack and folding will knock him down to a point where its push or fold after that, then the moves makes even more sense.
Iv'e C bet before in position heads up, got raised by a weak ace (ace on flop, i'm the aggressor PF) and noticed i'd put myself in a position where id got a lot of my stack involved with an up and down straight draw. My chance of coming back after folding was marginal as the blinds would eat me up so i shoved for what fold equity I had. Got called by the marginal ace (happy it weren't a set) and drew out on it then got called a lot of names.
There weren't a lot you could do in this hand anyway dude cause 90% of the time the chips are going in anyway (and they should be going in on the flop IMO)!!
This is why monster draws are hard to get away from even when you play them wrong on the flop.

S

seymourflopsws3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry just checked your post again, stack sizes are there lol. The pot was around 18.5K when he called off 9.5. For ease ill drop the .5 so he was getting 18-9 which is 2-1. So his call was right with around 30% equity which he had on the turn (cause he needs 66%-33% against). The chips were going in either way.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry just checked your post again, stack sizes are there lol. The pot was around 18.5K when he called off 9.5. For ease ill drop the .5 so he was getting 18-9 which is 2-1. So his call was right with around 30% equity which he had on the turn (cause he needs 66%-33% against). The chips were going in either way.
To this I would only say don't confuse cash and tournament strategy. Cash games can much more easily be reduced to simple pot-odds decisions, whereas tournaments cannot. The price to call certainly plays into equity decisions, but not at the expense of ICM, bubble, payout jumps, and other information that is unique to tournaments. In many tournament situations, 2:1 odds for your whole stack is seldom favorable when you're any sort of dog in the hand.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold. Though I see the right thing to do was call. Judging by a majority of answers here. Good answers.