Do you get afraid of All-Ins?

T

TonyTadzh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For freerolls all in is usually action every round, so no i am not afraid all ins)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No, seldom if ever.

If you know your push fold range, if anything, it is an exciting moment when you can dramatically increase your stack.

In one recent session I had AA fail and then a Full House got busted by quads. Next session, my AA put out KK and AQ to triple my stack. Swings and roundabouts. But, it is an unavoidable part of the game particularly in MTTs. You aren't getting anywhere without winning coin flips, so you might as well embrace them.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, not scared of the all-in, either jamming it in or calling. However, either way, it does get the heart rate up a bit when it's still with cards left to come out. I'm not a fan of sweating those last cards hoping my hand doesn't get sucked out upon.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play by bankroll and make the right decisions, then everything will be fine in the long run. And bad beats are and will be. If I play by bankroll, I am not afraid of all-ins.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid of all-ins. It's part of the game.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say avaid unnecessary shoves or allins but no point in being afraid if you are confident of the spot or the read go for it and no matter what poker isn't an exact science in which each time you have the best hand means you win. Once I accepted that bad beats don't bother me that much...

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
this is when and how. sometimes it's scary. sometimes joy

solowit

solowit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Up to this point it's been hate and love relationship, through the years learned to take it up the chin when lose out with better hand but all in all, sit back and reflect that it was correct play

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really. I get excited to double up or else I wont risk my stack.

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't fear any situation in poker. I would agree that you want to limit the number of times that you have to go all-in for all your chips in tournament poker.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Afraid? No, excited? yes usually with KK QQ or something hoping they don't hold AA or something and then when you win it.. it's even more exciting!

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the mood, if on tilt, would be happy to all-in to call an all-in, otherwise may be very reluctant to push. However pushing too often is likely not a good idea anyway.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

Absolutely not.....if I have AA , KK or QQ....
lololol

Rgds

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's poker... all in is just part of it.

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I seen worse

I’ve seen a lot worse 😂 a lot 😂 it’s second nature now 😂

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is part of the game of poker and it must be accepted otherwise forget about the game, after all, the game should bring both pleasure and money

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All I want to know is where I can find the next "All-In"? LOL

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand that sometimes it can be frustrating and the truth is that many of us get carried away by the fact that a good hand has a better chance of winning than an inferior hand. But the truth is that in poker anything is possible, a pair of aces may well be beaten by a 4 9 offsuit if the right cards appear on the table, annoying? Yes, can it happen? completely. That is why an all-in at a table is always a moment of tension whatever the scenario. Regards.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't have to take a chance, until you have to..

. Usually, the smart thing to do is fold an all-in and play another hand. My example: MTt: getting late, have A3(suited), I shove all-in.
Short version, opponent accepts my all-in, hits the Ace, and pairs the board with his kicker; I lose to their full house. It doesn't hurt so bad when you know you are going against TAG tactics, despite the probabilities.
I was an underdog, took a chance, and lost; I knew what I was doing; it's a coin-flip, the chance you have to take to win a Mtt.

misterwilliams

misterwilliams

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-In Pre-Flop, scary for a reason

Going All-In pre-flop is scary and was a weakness of mine. It was a poor habit I picked up from inexperienced players early in my poker career. Today, I rarely go all-in pre-flop, and that choice has done wonders for my play. Do not get me wrong; the urge to go All-In is strong sometimes; however, statistics of my play have shown I play better when I refuse to go All-In pre-flop. :deal: (Bear in mind that the amount of Big Blinds your stack has plays an important factor.)

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hey all,

I've been feeling pretty frustrated with some of the outcomes I've had in the past few days when I do go all in.

The most recent hand was in a freeroll MTT with 1000 players left. And I am giving it as an example of what seems to happen almost every day when I play.

I show a much better hand and just get dunked on the river.

Played just 9 or 10 hands with a LAG player to my left. His stack is 5x mine. I am playing TAG.

We had 2 back to back hands that I raised from the HJ and then the LJ. I missed both times on the flop and ended up folding.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON THE HAND, JUST ON THE OUTCOME AND HOW YOU DEAL WITH THIS

Table '3281584126 14' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: DavidWimmer (2335 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 2: Turokmukto (2955 in chips)
Seat 3: MARCIOGENIO (5875 in chips)
Seat 4: ALEX201728 (6490 in chips)
Seat 5: mrmuggs2 (7445 in chips)
Seat 6: rjk2021 (6920 in chips)
Seat 7: MrRiba1106 (18315 in chips)
Seat 8: chinezu333 (2380 in chips)
Seat 9: hefsbeaver (15675 in chips)

MARCIOGENIO: posts small blind 125
ALEX201728: posts big blind 250
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to rjk2021 [Qc Ac]
mrmuggs2: calls 250
rjk2021: raises 500 to 750
MrRiba1106: raises 17540 to 18290 and is all-in

chinezu333: folds
hefsbeaver: folds
DavidWimmer: folds
Turokmukto: folds
MARCIOGENIO: folds
ALEX201728: folds
mrmuggs2: folds

rjk2021: calls 6145 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (11395) returned to MrRiba1106
*** FLOP *** [4h 4c 6h]
*** TURN *** [4h 4c 6h] 4♠
*** RIVER *** [4h 4c 6h 4s] 8♠
*** SHOW DOWN ***
rjk2021: shows [Qc Ac] (three of a kind, Fours)
MrRiba1106: shows [8h Jc] (a full house, Fours full of Eights)
MrRiba1106 collected 14640 from pot

Board [4h 4c 6h 4s 8s]

Seat 6: rjk2021 showed [Qc Ac] and lost with three of a kind, Fours
Seat 7: MrRiba1106 showed [8h Jc] and won (14640) with a full house, Fours full of Eights

I understand that any two cards can win all-in before the flop.

It just feels like I get greased out of those wins so very often!

Is this something you struggle with? Is it just one of those dips in luck?

Thanks for reading and sharing!

The outcome of any given hand is not really relevant. What is relevant is whether you made the correct decisions. Correct decions will make you money, whereas lucky hits will stifle your development.

I don't really feel any emotion when someone has shoved all in. I just try to evaluate whether I am ahead, what stage the game is in, and whether it is a good idea to stake a major (or complete) portion of my stack on the current hand against the current opponent, keeping in mind where I a sat, and how they play.

You can train your fear away by playing high-frequency-shove games (e.g. the grand tour...Neymar KO poker, Spin-n-gos...

Study up, perhaps, on GTO poker so you can be more comfortable with the maths behind the decisons.

Or...play lower stakes. Generally, you should not be playing at a stakes level which makes you feel that way. And if you feel that way whilst playing online, you are going to get killed when you play live...as this may translate into a perceived weakness...and the sharks will team up against weak fish.

The best way to deal with this, in game, is to stop playing crappy hands. Stop limping. Stop calling. You either bet or fold and play hands that support this primary strategy.

Then you add layers on top -- like attacking the BB... 3-betting out of position, check-raising in position, Aggressive CBet sizing.

Bottom line -- once you are playing the maths game and not the psychological game, you start out ahead.

Play more games. I've played between 75-100K hands in the past year. It is nigh on impossible to get emotional with every shove when you see it every few minutes.
PLAY MORE GAMES

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
PS I just lost a shove after flopping Ace-High flush vs KK.
Unfortunately Turn was K.
River was K

NutFlush destroyed by KKKK.

Chip-wise, it hurt.
Otherwise...already forgotten which game it was in. Doesn't matter. Move on.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Going All-In pre-flop is scary and was a weakness of mine. It was a poor habit I picked up from inexperienced players early in my poker career. Today, I rarely go all-in pre-flop, and that choice has done wonders for my play. Do not get me wrong; the urge to go All-In is strong sometimes; however, statistics of my play have shown I play better when I refuse to go All-In pre-flop. :deal: (Bear in mind that the amount of Big Blinds your stack has plays an important factor.)
Good point.
People are far too ready to shove with a big stack.
You almost allude to Kid Poker's version of pot-control...keep the pots manageable and you can reduce the variance and getting impacted by 72o hitting well...

For example, shovong AKs looks great on paper...but with a table full of LAGs or Fish...it can quickly degenerate into the worst hand. So raise for value when you open...but no need to shove it. A tournament is rarely a race. Keep your open shoves at bay until you are late game trying to recover from a bad beat.

If you are confident that your actual poker decisions are better than others at the table, then pre-flop shoves should be rare as it will more likely reduce your equity than increase it.

Get your value.

But in the end -- reviewing my stats...my Calling of shoves had been a huge leak. If you've got a made hand and it won't go multiway, sure, give it a shot. But IMO you're better off holding mediocre cards against a single opponent, than you are with good cards agains 5 chancers.

Play the maths. The rest will work itself out.