Do you get afraid of All-Ins?

R

Rjk2021

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

I've been feeling pretty frustrated with some of the outcomes I've had in the past few days when I do go all in.

The most recent hand was in a freeroll MTT with 1000 players left. And I am giving it as an example of what seems to happen almost every day when I play.

I show a much better hand and just get dunked on the river.

Played just 9 or 10 hands with a LAG player to my left. His stack is 5x mine. I am playing TAG.

We had 2 back to back hands that I raised from the HJ and then the LJ. I missed both times on the flop and ended up folding.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON THE HAND, JUST ON THE OUTCOME AND HOW YOU DEAL WITH THIS

Table '3281584126 14' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: DavidWimmer (2335 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 2: Turokmukto (2955 in chips)
Seat 3: MARCIOGENIO (5875 in chips)
Seat 4: ALEX201728 (6490 in chips)
Seat 5: mrmuggs2 (7445 in chips)
Seat 6: rjk2021 (6920 in chips)
Seat 7: MrRiba1106 (18315 in chips)
Seat 8: chinezu333 (2380 in chips)
Seat 9: hefsbeaver (15675 in chips)

MARCIOGENIO: posts small blind 125
ALEX201728: posts big blind 250
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to rjk2021 [Qc Ac]
mrmuggs2: calls 250
rjk2021: raises 500 to 750
MrRiba1106: raises 17540 to 18290 and is all-in

chinezu333: folds
hefsbeaver: folds
DavidWimmer: folds
Turokmukto: folds
MARCIOGENIO: folds
ALEX201728: folds
mrmuggs2: folds

rjk2021: calls 6145 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (11395) returned to MrRiba1106
*** FLOP *** [4h 4c 6h]
*** TURN *** [4h 4c 6h] [4s]
*** RIVER *** [4h 4c 6h 4s] [8s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
rjk2021: shows [Qc Ac] (three of a kind, Fours)
MrRiba1106: shows [8h Jc] (a full house, Fours full of Eights)
MrRiba1106 collected 14640 from pot

Board [4h 4c 6h 4s 8s]

Seat 6: rjk2021 showed [Qc Ac] and lost with three of a kind, Fours
Seat 7: MrRiba1106 showed [8h Jc] and won (14640) with a full house, Fours full of Eights

I understand that any two cards can win all-in before the flop.

It just feels like I get greased out of those wins so very often!

Is this something you struggle with? Is it just one of those dips in luck?

Thanks for reading and sharing!

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is what poker makes it so exciting anything can happen

good luck on your next flip

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, it's always a coin flip. The good thing is you now know this player has a loose all in range. With a decent hand you'll be the one taking their chips next flip.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what range is villain shoving with? how much preflop equity does your hand have against that range? is your preflop equity enough (for you) to call off with ~25 big blinds at this point?

i think these are some important questions to ask yourself. but once you make the decision, it's out of your hands and it's all on your preflop equity. in this situation, j8 had ~30-35% equity against aq. But that's only a specific hand v hand situation. against their shoving range, your aq will likely have even more equity.

do i struggle with this? i wouldn't say i struggle, i'm certainly not bothered by it but it does happen to me often. but that's expected, especially if equity is pretty close. i focus on the fact that getting my money in as a favorite means i win more often in the long run. i focus on my long term expected value, while understanding i will run into short term variance (bad luck).

i also know that there is a balance to things because i can't say i never get my money in (way) behind and win. that happens a lot when i play mtts, depending on my situation. i try not to get my money in behind too often, but that's how it is sometimes. there is a saying in mtts that goes 'if you're never getting your money (chips) in behind, you're playing way too tight.'. i just try to not too it too often.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Speaking as a Lag myself it’s to me that large chip stacks seem to get rewarded more with bad play like a shove with J8. I have seen and done these things happen a lot. I don’t open shove all in with junk too often when I leading the table with chips though. But I will call your raise with that trash and try to out play my opponent in the hand if I know they are raising AK or AQ.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All-in preflop is a real problem in a tournament, in my opinion, even if we know we are ahead. In a cash game, we can rest on the fact that we will win more than we lose and therefore, we will be ahead in the long run.

In a tournament, that is not how it works. Even if we were to shove w AA pre-flop, we know that we should win 5 out of 6 times, no matter what our opponent has. So with the best hand in poker, it is unreasonable to expect to 6 out of 6 times. We have to know that we will lose that one time, and if we are all-in and our opponent has us covered, we will be busted out of the tournament. If we play every tournament in this manner, the idea that we will be ahead in the long run, goes out the window and we may never, ever cash in a tournament.

This wasn't as extreme an example as you might think. The point is, in a tournament we have to play poker. Shove and hope isn't a winning strategy. An all-in move is very powerful and puts a lot of pressure on our opponent, but we have to be realistic about how to think about what it means to be ahead in the hand - it means very little from a showdown perspective.

Good luck and God bless.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No wonder, the usual coin flip, well, bad luck, it happens...........
To take first place in the tournament, you need to win a lot of such hands, you need to be prepared for this in advance, it will save your nerves during the game.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No wonder, the usual coin flip, well, bad luck, it happens...........
To take first place in the tournament, you need to win a lot of such hands, you need to be prepared for this in advance, it will save your nerves during the game.
like they say 'nobody wins an mtt without winning a few flips.'

V

vituzikas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you shouldn't get bummed out about the result since you make the mathematically correct decisions you'll win in the long run

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are 3 kinds of conditions for players prefer all-in.

Chips leaders , short stacks and low cost register fee.

I think all-in is a selection, not thing about fear or not.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
All-in should make you think, but if the math is right, it is pretty easy.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Afraid of all-ins? Is this a joke or what :dontknow:

pit85

pit85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happened usually go All in Kk someone pay A7,All in with JJ someone pay with QK...My lesson better not going see board and preventing yourself from big loses.

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I afraid of allins? No. Do I sometimes feel uncomfortable with it? Yes.
Especially when you have one or more sessions that are not going well.

But if your allins are mathematically okay and you don't have a read on the opponent holding a monster that is better, then go allin.

This is part of the game and is part of it. Poker is a game of variance, and you will lose often. But over a long time, you'll win more if you play right. Look at the spots you've lost, discuss them with others, and if you haven't made any mistakes that's okay, otherwise learn from them.

Being afraid is the wrong way. It doesn't belong in this game. You are not playing for your life. ;) Have fun with the game.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I hate hen this happens but its part of the game. Some people call this a bad beat and its not a real bad beat. He should win 1 out of every 3 times. What you need to do is think about it different and is may help. This player is trying to donate chips to you. He is willing to lose 2 out of 3 times just to stack you. Yes its horrible but he will never win overall. You will. I hate it as you do but if they are willing to try to give you chips why not take them when you have a decent hand? What this guy is hoping fir is you get tired of him and call with trash. How many times have you seen it happen when someone calls with j8 off or 78 off and lost to him.. Just take your good hands, cross your fingers and hope its just your time to win.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not afraid of all-ins because all-ins is all part of poker

dorivaldojr

dorivaldojr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
who's not afraid ne rs always gives a butterflies in the stomach

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all,

I've been feeling pretty frustrated with some of the outcomes I've had in the past few days when I do go all in.

The most recent hand was in a freeroll MTT with 1000 players left. And I am giving it as an example of what seems to happen almost every day when I play.

I show a much better hand and just get dunked on the river.

Played just 9 or 10 hands with a LAG player to my left. His stack is 5x mine. I am playing TAG.

We had 2 back to back hands that I raised from the HJ and then the LJ. I missed both times on the flop and ended up folding.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON THE HAND, JUST ON THE OUTCOME AND HOW YOU DEAL WITH THIS

Table '3281584126 14' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: DavidWimmer (2335 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 2: Turokmukto (2955 in chips)
Seat 3: MARCIOGENIO (5875 in chips)
Seat 4: ALEX201728 (6490 in chips)
Seat 5: mrmuggs2 (7445 in chips)
Seat 6: rjk2021 (6920 in chips)
Seat 7: MrRiba1106 (18315 in chips)
Seat 8: chinezu333 (2380 in chips)
Seat 9: hefsbeaver (15675 in chips)

MARCIOGENIO: posts small blind 125
ALEX201728: posts big blind 250
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to rjk2021 [Qc Ac]
mrmuggs2: calls 250
rjk2021: raises 500 to 750
MrRiba1106: raises 17540 to 18290 and is all-in

chinezu333: folds
hefsbeaver: folds
DavidWimmer: folds
Turokmukto: folds
MARCIOGENIO: folds
ALEX201728: folds
mrmuggs2: folds

rjk2021: calls 6145 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (11395) returned to MrRiba1106
*** FLOP *** [4h 4c 6h]
*** TURN *** [4h 4c 6h] 4♠
*** RIVER *** [4h 4c 6h 4s] 8♠
*** SHOW DOWN ***
rjk2021: shows [Qc Ac] (three of a kind, Fours)
MrRiba1106: shows [8h Jc] (a full house, Fours full of Eights)
MrRiba1106 collected 14640 from pot

Board [4h 4c 6h 4s 8s]

Seat 6: rjk2021 showed [Qc Ac] and lost with three of a kind, Fours
Seat 7: MrRiba1106 showed [8h Jc] and won (14640) with a full house, Fours full of Eights

I understand that any two cards can win all-in before the flop.

It just feels like I get greased out of those wins so very often!

Is this something you struggle with? Is it just one of those dips in luck?

Thanks for reading and sharing!
The fear of failure is logical. you have to accept it first, and then let it "dissolve". it works for me if I just ask myself the question "who is afraid?" and I begin to breathe deeply calmly. I don't know if it will help you, but it works for me.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Allin is the ultimate weapon that distinguishes No limit from Pot limit. I approach Allin from a player in a same way as any other spot. No point in yielding too much to Aggression from some players who go allin at high frequency.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually i don't looking forward with all in because i'm afraid of river which it's very often cruel for me.

Piligrin66

Piligrin66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love them myself, often using them, having a good combination, but it is not always possible to win, luck is needed everywhere.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are afraid of all ins poker is not the game for you.:):):)

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not afraid to play all-in, this is one of the main parts of poker, there are types of tournaments where you need to play all-in, but whether you win or lose, it will depend on the poker room.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
an all in just another tactic everyone uses. if i have a strong hand i always call an all in. it does not scare me at all.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
One of the things that happens is that in most freerolls you are going to find situations like this and I mean that they pay with cards that are not considered top or relatively good and they win you (it can also happen in a paid tournament , but in a freeroll I think it is very common), how to deal with these situations? To start, take into consideration how the play was made, the readings, the stack, and everything that is involved, while you can have better control of that you can avoid those situations a little more, because it is not only about saying bet Everything and I lost now I am angry or frustrated because I lost in this way, if you do not look for a way to improve and correct your game, many situations like this will sweat you