Discipline in later tournament.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Building discipline is tricky. It helps to identify the reason you are losing patience before trying to fix the problem. If a hand is not good enough to go all in with, it also it is not good enough to limp with. Only play with hands that play well from your position at the table. If you are drawing dead (no good cards), use the time to study opponents and write down what they do in certain situations. If you find you cannot do this, then find something to distract yourself with between folding one hand and the next. Look at the hand, fold it, do your distraction. Don't sit there asking yourself why you didn't get a good hand, as this is destructive to the psych, and can set you up for tilt. Also don't panic over it. Anyone can draw dead for about 50 hands. Only one hand in 5 is playable and one in 5 out of those is winning hand. So, typically only 1 in about 25 is a good hand anyway. 50 dead hands in a row only means that you might get a 10 winning hand streak in the future if you are still in there for it.

playing a bad hand with tilt might look something like this: This hand is not good by itself, but I might flop something to go with it, so I'll limp. I got raised preflop, so I still might flop something, so I'll call. Flop comes out, I got 1 card that is helpful, someone bets, I call. Someone raises, I call. I could still improve on the turn and it's not that much to call. (now it seems I might get good pot odds here, but the only reason that is true is I have inflated the pot - I shouldn't have played the hand in the first place - that means I cannot rely on the pot odds here) Turn comes, gives me a fourth card for my hand, but still no made hand. some one bets, I raise because I could land a river that makes my hand. Someone re-raises, I jam to fold them. They call. river comes, I bust They show a flush. Tilt comes in when I feel I must have a good hand whenever it is possible that I could build one. Lesson learned - fold that hand every time. We get bad hands, don't let someone else profit from them.

odo333

odo333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Building discipline is tricky. It helps to identify the reason you are losing patience before trying to fix the problem. If a hand is not good enough to go all in with, it also it is not good enough to limp with. Only play with hands that play well from your position at the table. If you are drawing dead (no good cards), use the time to study opponents and write down what they do in certain situations. If you find you cannot do this, then find something to distract yourself with between folding one hand and the next. Look at the hand, fold it, do your distraction. Don't sit there asking yourself why you didn't get a good hand, as this is destructive to the psych, and can set you up for tilt. Also don't panic over it. Anyone can draw dead for about 50 hands. Only one hand in 5 is playable and one in 5 out of those is winning hand. So, typically only 1 in about 25 is a good hand anyway. 50 dead hands in a row only means that you might get a 10 winning hand streak in the future if you are still in there for it.

playing a bad hand with tilt might look something like this: This hand is not good by itself, but I might flop something to go with it, so I'll limp. I got raised preflop, so I still might flop something, so I'll call. Flop comes out, I got 1 card that is helpful, someone bets, I call. Someone raises, I call. I could still improve on the turn and it's not that much to call. (now it seems I might get good pot odds here, but the only reason that is true is I have inflated the pot - I shouldn't have played the hand in the first place - that means I cannot rely on the pot odds here) Turn comes, gives me a fourth card for my hand, but still no made hand. some one bets, I raise because I could land a river that makes my hand. Someone re-raises, I jam to fold them. They call. river comes, I bust They show a flush. Tilt comes in when I feel I must have a good hand whenever it is possible that I could build one. Lesson learned - fold that hand every time. We get bad hands, don't let someone else profit from them.

Very wise words. You're 100% right in your opinion. I can only applaud and learn from you. Thanks for the invaluable advice.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to get some coaching on the poker mind and self control a good site that has some free stuff on this is bestpokercoaching.com I think it has one lesson for free on the poker mind go check it out.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try play some freeroll.. you need play for long time to get some money... it will train your anxiety

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to add some fun to your game. Try to open the second table. Turn on the TV. Turn on the audiobook.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was doing this also and losing for it, As nitty as it sounds i would say give up the bb if your hand isn't reasonable. You don't always have to defend or play cause it's cheap. Take notes and try to put the other players on hands and figure out how they play when your not involved in the pot. Play fold simulator and remove bluffs from your arsenal unless an opening presents it's self. Save as many chips as possible for the next double up opportunity instead of leaking with skeptical hands. The larger your stack the more time you have. GLGL

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you just get bored, you need patience.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually continue to wait for a good hand and throw in an allyn whenever possible with an average card to pick up the blydes. Here you can not think of anything else. If you try to catch someone with your opponent’s small card on a raise, there’s little sense. This only leads to the loss of part of the stack.

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion on this question is this: I myself, out of boredom, climb into a fight with bad hands and then lose a good part of the stack, so it’s better to fold well than to fly out of the tournament !!!

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
Nice thread, very intresting analysis by a lot of them.

The first thought to join CC was for freerolls, but after spending time on this site, there is so much to learn that I forget why I came here first and happy I joined this site.
Impressive reviews, sharing some nice information helps all those who are here.

Thanks to CC

And my take on this thread, have gone thru this situation and still trying to grow out of it.

Its hard when you hit the Lull (garbage) but you tend to lose patience also.

Keep trying and soon it will become better.:):):)

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think I agree a little with what whiskers77 says maybe if you should play several tables at the same time and keep yourself busy, you should also try to manage the concentration factor, that happens a lot, it has happened to me many times, but if you manage to keep focused on the game you can achieve a lot

F

Fishhuntercn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The same problem i had a year ago.Firstly and mainly its your own mind and discipline.Just put the goal for yourself and do your best.

maudoallin

maudoallin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I notice that when i play a tournament and after late reg about 1h i have stack about 12k to 20k and i lose my discipline to fold bad hand, im getting a lot of bad cards and start limping with 96s or something like this and lose my stack. And everytime tilting a little couse not getting any good hand to play. What tips you can give?

Try to play more then 1 Mtt, then u will have more hands to play and wont get bored easy !

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to be patient, but do not let your m down

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there must be an excerpt, because one bad game is due to curiosity to see the flop and you can at least lose half of the stack, and in the worst case, fly out of the tournament !!! therefore, it is better to fold all trash more often and stay in the game than to play and watch the flop from the side as a fan once!

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what Vasilii813 said. Instead of limping with mediocre or weak hands, play your position. Wait until you are in LP and raise when nobody has entered the pot. It's much better to do this than to try to limp with weaker hands and give other players the chance to raise when they sense your weakness. Try to do this with at least marginal hands like suited connectors or broadway cards so you at least have some chance of connecting with the flop in case they call.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play some freerolls if you lack discipline. You can make dumb decisions in those while playing smart in the tourney with money on the line...

cardartist85

cardartist85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like limping

I can understand the temptation to play more hands when you have an above average stack but I would warn against limping into pots. If you're going to play a hand play it aggressively which means raise or fold in most of those situations. If you happen to call a preflop raise thats different but yeah I think limping in is just bad strategy because you're at the mercy of other players and cards and don't have as much chance to dictate the action. That's just me though

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get angry at losing and set a challenge to play the exact opposite.