Couldn't lay it down ! Could u?

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I was i n the 4.50 36-180 MTT sit n go on stars and picked up 88 in the small blind. It folded round to the cut off and he flat called . I called bb folds and we go heads up to flop. Flop comes 4A9. I check and villain bets. so after his flat call and the fact he leads out on this board I think he has a weak ace or mibby a pair and is leading out to see where he stands or if I'm afraid of the ace. The bet isn't too big . 800 the tournament was on level 8 and average stacks we're about 8000 blinds we're at 150/300 so I just call and the next card is a 8 i check and he bets again this time 1800 I call again and the last card is a 4 so I fill up and in case he's bluffing I lead this time and get re raised what I thot he had was 2 pair mibby A9 plus the 4 put 3 spades out so a flush was on as well I've only got abt 4000 left . less than a pot size so I shove he instantly calls and shows AA . after reviewing the hand I just can't see a way I could of got away from this what do yous think ? Could u make the lay down

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
On the flop yes could have made the fold On turn and river I dont see how I dont go broke there just a really good turn at a really bad time.

Remember very rarely you are beat there this was just one of the few times all other times you win pot so have to shove river to maximize value.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold on the flop, but there’s no way that you could know what he has i his hands. You played good, he played better. Probably you didn’t follow how he plays, did he slow playes he’s big hands, or something else. But today is a new day, and we all have to learn from mistakes , our or someone else

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold on the flop, but there’s no way that you could know what he has i his hands. You played good, he played better. Probably you didn’t follow how he plays, did he slow playes he’s big hands, or something else. But today is a new day, and we all have to learn from mistakes , our or someone else
He was mixing it up I remember he limped with QQ and he 3xbb with AK plus he won a flip with 99 all in . I looked back at previous hands when I was reviewing my play ,mine and his to check what he was doing with premium hands but as u say its a new day.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You cannot do many things, just your judgement or intuition! When I play a strong pair preflop usually I just raise one blind!

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday I was i n the 4.50 36-180 MTT sit n go on stars and picked up 88 in the small blind. It folded round to the cut off and he flat called . I called bb folds and we go heads up to flop. Flop comes 4A9. I check and villain bets. so after his flat call and the fact he leads out on this board I think he has a weak ace or mibby a pair and is leading out to see where he stands or if I'm afraid of the ace. The bet isn't too big . 800 the tournament was on level 8 and average stacks we're about 8000 blinds we're at 150/300 so I just call and the next card is a 8 i check and he bets again this time 1800 I call again and the last card is a 4 so I fill up and in case he's bluffing I lead this time and get re raised what I thot he had was 2 pair mibby A9 plus the 4 put 3 spades out so a flush was on as well I've only got abt 4000 left . less than a pot size so I shove he instantly calls and shows AA . after reviewing the hand I just can't see a way I could of got away from this what do yous think ? Could u make the lay down

I probably would have folded after the flop simply because there are two over cards and you don't want to necessarily chase cards especially there is only two 8's left even though you did spike an 8 on the turn.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, you need to note a good sly game of your opponent with AA. Secondly, to avoid a cooler, you do not need to play weak hands. I agree, sometimes (that is, often) we have to play with dubious hands, where the power of chance in poker often comes in. And these cases can be so in favor of us, and in favor of our opponents. I'm sure that if you go 10 times with a pocket 88 on the board 4A984, then quite 7-8 of them would have won. This is poker. Sometimes, in order to avoid the cooler, it's enough to throw out the cards, no matter if there's a KK there or 88. It's just one pair.

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did well however if there was already the fours and 2 big cards 9 and A it was not necessary to call his last Raise on the river since he he made bets on all streets. Do not blame yourself you played good it's a matter of luck and trapped you. Next Time you have that kind of pairs test your opponent preflop lol

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, i likely wouldve folded post flop myself... after the turn I probably wouldnt have been able to escape. Thats a tough break...

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I was i n the 4.50 36-180 MTT sit n go on stars and picked up 88 in the small blind. It folded round to the cut off and he flat called . I called bb folds and we go heads up to flop.
Why did the BB fold?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was mixing it up I remember he limped with QQ and he 3xbb with AK plus he won a flip with 99 all in . I looked back at previous hands when I was reviewing my play ,mine and his to check what he was doing with premium hands but as u say its a new day.
First off, that particular opponent was probably limping/calling with most pairs, all pairs if the bet is small enough, opponent will probably raise A9s+.

How do I get all that from such little information?

I play on PS at the micro level and run into those types of players so often, I immediately recognized the style of play.

You will run into these players often, they are quite predictable, and they do mix up their play only by raising Ax and calling all pairs.

I only mention this because tomorrow may be a new day but that particular type of opponent is out there everyday, just be aware.:icon_thum

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, that particular opponent was probably limping/calling with most pairs, all pairs if the bet is small enough, opponent will probably raise A9s+.

How do I get all that from such little information?

I play on PS at the micro level and run into those types of players so often, I immediately recognized the style of play.

You will run into these players often, they are quite predictable, and they do mix up their play only by raising Ax and calling all pairs.

I only mention this because tomorrow may be a new day but that particular type of opponent is out there everyday, just be aware.:icon_thum

I know mate. Thanks for the input. I always see on cc that u should never slow play your premium hands but if the blinds r big sometimes the only way to get any action on them is to flat call. I mean if that player made any sort of substantial raise I would of got away on the flop without a doubt. Its wen u slow ply AA wen blinds r small and need to see a flop with 3-5 other players then the chances r some 1 will hit 2 pair. Flush or straight. No to hands get played the same and every game is different u need to adapt to players. Blind sizes and game speed

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have done the same as you, no way would I have layed it down.

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't worry about that beat man. That just seems very unfortunate. It is very easy to get into tough spots with middle pocket pairs, I find it hard to play them. When the flop comes out like that with minimal draws (assuming rainbow flop) I would call another bet to hit the set and expect to be paid off if I did. I would definitely be married to the hand in your situation.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
After seeing the trips I also would not have folded. But I guess, I would have raised already preflop to know, where I am standing. Probably he would have reraised in this situation or also called. But then I would have been suspicious on the flop already and would have fold after his raise on flop.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all, raise preflop with 88 so you can put him on a range. if you play this way, you have to be aware of him trapping like this.
i personally would have check raised the turn just because he bet too small and you had the second nuts, and fold to a raise. yes, he has a lot of Ax hands or two pairs which makes the lay down harder. also, when villain bets 3 streets increasing the size each time he has a strong holding and tries to be tricky

Brahyam89

Brahyam89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain limped into the pot with AA (which is a great way to have AA busted) and hero (you) flat called with 88. The problem with these decisions preflop is that neither of you have acquired sufficient information to place your opponent on a hand.

Say villain led out by flat calling and hero made a sizeable raise (say 5-6 times the bb) with his pp 88, villain would have two options: either re-raise or call your large bet. In either case you've acquired information to put him on a more premium hand.

Post-flop suddenly comes two over cards to hero's pp 88 and villain continues his aggression. Now it makes it easier to fold this hand given the information you've acquired. By limping into the pot you simply dont have enough information leaving hero susceptible to getting busted especially after hitting a full house by the river. Very difficult to lay down at this point with no information.

Hope this helps and keep grinding!!!

TxFoldemPro

TxFoldemPro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always get nervous when one keeps min betting or flat calling; trying to juice the pot. But, No way I would have folded, prolly would have shoved turn or preflop.

TxFoldemPro

TxFoldemPro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.....most likely putting them on big A or 2 pair.: mad:

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't worry about that beat man. That just seems very unfortunate. It is very easy to get into tough spots with middle pocket pairs, I find it hard to play them. When the flop comes out like that with minimal draws (assuming rainbow flop) I would call another bet to hit the set and expect to be paid off if I did. I would definitely be married to the hand in your situation.

I'm the same every time o have 77-1010 I'm scared to bet for value if there is a JQK or A on the board unless I'm confident they have AK and missed or mibby JJ but there is AK out there I've got ppl to muck there middle pairs or JJ because I know they will b scared of the board but I hear u man if u don't flop a set its a tough spot sometimes

Last edited:
bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a cooler I'd have raised pre flop but apart from that there's not much you could do.

LumeBStackin

LumeBStackin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have died with it. That's poker. No way you could have seen that hand coming.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played well but your opponent pre-flop had the task not to scare you and he fought not with you but with the desire to put all-in: (

CforChampion

CforChampion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have raised preflop and maybe folded on flop. :)

Unlucky though.