Could I have played another way?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

While I do agree with your decision to get in all of your chips, I would suggest playing pre-flop and the flop differently. Pre-flop UTG+1, I generally don’t have a range for just calling facing a UTG opening with ~20bbs unless I’m trapping—so I would tend to 3-bet with the plan of getting it in versus UTG. Players tend to open pretty tight under the gun and A3s is going to be beat by most player’s range. I would fold, and even if UTG had folded I would not open the hand.

We flop a monster draw, to the nut flush as well as a gutshot straight (always fun when you have a straight flush out 🤩). The pot is large and there’s a lot of action—I would go ahead and shove on the flop.

Hope this helps [emoji4]

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with 20 bbs, you shouldn't be looking to just limp in with any hand. especially out of position with a hand as weak as a3s. you're not hitting a strong flop often enough and you're in a bad spot if you're 3 bet. with ~20 bbs, try looking at chip preservation more than anything and avoiding spots where you're forced to fold preflop or on the flop with weak-to-mediocre hands like a3s and give up your big blinds easily.

with 20 bbs, you're nearing the short stack range and you want to avoid spewing your chips as much as possible. one, because giving up your chips easily when you're forced to fold in a lot of situations preflop/post flop is just detrimental to your stack and two, you want to preserve as much as your stack as you can for hands that are strong enough to get it in with. with a3s, you aren't flopping strong hands (flush, straight, boat, quads) often enough and you aren't flopping your strong draws (flush draw, gutshot straight, 2 pair, trips) often enough to make this a profitable limp from early position and you're just spewing your chips, which you can't afford to do with your stack.

so, preflop, this is an easy fold.

as played, this is an easy jam post flop. you basically hit the best draw flop you can ask for and you have 3 players left to act. get your money in and take the flop down uncontested, but you also give yourself great equity to hit on the turn or river if you're called.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PS Bounty builder $0.55 August 15,2020

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524FGazTt
there is 4 bbs in the pot and you have ~14 bbs.

this is an easy jam or fold preflop. fold if you want to take the conservative route. you still have a decent number of bbs and can maybe wait for a better situation to get your chips in. however, i lean more towards the jamming in this spot because of the pot size being a 30% increase to our stack.

i think limping or just raising are are the worst options in this spot. you don't want to play a10o in a multiway pot with only 13 bbs behind and if open, you're pretty much calling a 3bet in this spot and you lose any fold equity you would've had if you had jammed.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You made a very serious mistake... you lost the preflop... You can't go in with a strong hand just call a mini bet... this is a gross mistake, you had a strong hand, (the position is not important) gave a chance to see the flop to the big blind... I am 1000% sure that if you were aggressive, made the right bet, the big blind would throw away your card.

For a specific situation, it is impossible to knock 2 pairs out of the hand on the flop... On the turn, everything was lost for you, unfortunately...

if you wanted to earn a lot of chips and leave a secret on the entire line, this is a bad idea...

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with 20bbs you can't chase your straights or flushs, simply no fold equity, so you either have to jam pre or facing raise UTG fold A3, and defenetly you had to fold on turn, so basicly on every street you made a wrong decision
IMHO ofc

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, your main mistake is that you ended up in this distribution at all !!!

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think preflop it's just a fold for me utg your going to be dominated so often here it out weights the times you get the shove through but if you do play the hand you have to shove IMO not raise or limp how happy are you if you get jammed on here after a raise

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats an interesting hand.I think preflop call is quite loose but you can call if you have several fish player to the left and you may play more aggresive flop cause fd and gut shot fot sf.so i think so you played not bad but it s quite frustrating to be busted vs full house.anyway this happens so you cant fold river cause you have goos combo.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Preflop
This is just an easy fold. A3s is already a marginal open from UTG+1, and when someone else has already entered the pot, you need to fold the bottom of your normal RFI range.

Flop
With a 12 out draw I prefer to rip it in and hope, there is some fold equity especially against big blind. Calling is also a +EV play though and certainly not terrible.

Turn
As played I prefer to fold. When big blind put in half his remaining chips, he is rarely going to be light, and the paired board cuts down on your equity as well as your implied odds. You are no longer drawing to the nuts, you could be drawing dead, and some of your outs will usually fill him up, if he does not have the boat already.

River
Nothing to do now but get it in, and unfortunately he did have a boat this time. However this "cooler" could have been easily avoided by folding preflop or as played by folding on the turn.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The start of the game is good, but on the turn after a big raise I would already fold to avoid big stack losses. After a big raise from the opponent, it became clear that he had a serious combination.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The start of the game is good, but on the turn after a big raise I would already fold to avoid big stack losses. After a big raise from the opponent, it became clear that he had a serious combination.

Or big bluff

S

SoulMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) You should fold preflop
2) Assuming you made this misstake and call, then You should fold on turn. 75% pot to draw flush on the river isn't even worth it when it can give you nuts. On already paired board its very risky to draw.