Continuation betting on flop

L

loosegoose

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't seem to help myself I almost always have a cbet flop of 100 im usually sizing flop bets at 1/3 but i know this isn't optimal. In small/micro stakes players do fold wayyy to much. What are situations where a continuation bet flop is not good even with sizing?

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you hold the best hand and it would be near miraculous for someone to beat you. So, you do not bet and slow play that stuff. See if it hits in a way that others want to either bluff or think they may have the best hand available.

Another time to not C bet is when the flop misses you horribly and someone may have a much better hand than you. See how people bet the flop and if it gets too expensive, you might need to just say no.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In small/micro stakes, C betting after you raised pre flop is normal. It often allows you to take down the pot, and when you get check raised, they usually have you dominated.

Players at low stakes are straight forward. You should be able to classify them into a category within a few rounds. This is when you can take advantage post flop.

If they are aggressive, you can check back your best hands and let them start throwing in chips. If they are calling stations, only Cbet hand that hit your hand. If they are nits, Cbet and slow down if they call.

Before you play, think of what you want them to do. What play by you leads to the other player doing what you want?

L

loosegoose

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So im always thinking of what I want to accomplish and it almost always comes down to sizing the bet for the goal. I have learned to not straight bluff calling stations but it seems this is really only my non c-bet line i take.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
poker strategy

I can't seem to help myself I almost always have a cbet flop of 100 im usually sizing flop bets at 1/3 but i know this isn't optimal. In small/micro stakes players do fold wayyy to much. What are situations where a continuation bet flop is not good even with sizing?

choosing your spots is key to a dominant poker session. poker is skill and reads as well as luck

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never do 100% sibet - it's a very exploited line! What will you do on the raise?

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general, the size of the bet depends on the size of your stack, on how the opponent plays, everything is individual.
But of course there is a general strategy that works well in most situations, I usually have if a good hand the size of the continuation bet is about 40-50% of the pot size, and if a bad hand then I bet the same as on the preflop, it is 3-4bb.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few common spots where it's better not to c-bet if you've missed:

-- Flop is very coordinated

-- Four or more opponents

-- You have showdown value but can't get three streets of value

Example of the last situation: With QQ on AK7, you have showdown value but can probably get at most one street of value post-flop.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You may not want to c-bet if you flopped a monster and you may want to give your opponent/s a chance to catch up a little and hit something.
Also, if you made something like top pair top kicker but there's a draw on the board I would bet around 2/3rd pot or more to charge the draws.

Y

Yontox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you call pre with 77 & board comes AKQs you shouldn't Cbet :p

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether you c-bet depends on many factors. How many opponents called your raise preflop? How do you rate your opponents? Bluffing calling stations is money wasted. And then it also depends on how your hand is and which cards came on the flop. Let's say you raised with AK preflop. The flop comes Q83 rainbow. Apart from a weak draw, namely 2 overcards, you have nothing. Still, I'd raise one or two opponents on this flop. They may also not have hit anything and will get out. You can also represent a top pair because you may well have raised with AQ preflop. It looks different if the flop brings T9J and two cards have the same symbol. The flop is very drawy. Many opponents can have hit something. Here I would advise against a c-bet if you haven't hit anything yourself.

The bet size is usually between half and 2/3 the pot size. If you decide to C-bet, the size of the bet depends on two factors. How many opponents do you have? How draw-heavy is the flop? If you have 2 opponents and the flop is draw-heavy you have to increase your bet size.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you are trying to bluff. but if you flop it then continue betting is optimal.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is nothing wrong with a check. You should cbet depending on the situation. For example if I'm on the button and raise you are most likely getting a bet. If i raise middle position with AK and miss, you may or may not get one.

To blindly shove chips in because you raised is a loser. Keep changing your play.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars