Collin Moshman on Beating Low-Stakes SNGs (video)

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
  • Raise your strong hands for value during the early game
always with good hand early in a game to increase the pot is a board om

• Position is crucial for playing pot
rather it should be played in a position that is favorable to you
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

• Be selective entering hands in the middle stages
in the intermediate phase I try to play against players with less aggressive but I stack
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

• Shove wide in the late game
Good advice, I will do this to get more achievement
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
  • Play many hands after the bubble has burst
I understood then play but hand during the bubble and also take advantage of if you have a good stack to force players with little stack
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
  • Raise your strongs hands for value during the early game
If at the beginning of the game , I don't always raise those hands , but it is smart to try and raise and get more chips in the pot for a bigger win.
  • Position is crucial for playing pots
True , then again when the software is going for you online , position doesn't seem to matter !
  • Be selective entering hands in the middle stages
I agree , unless you have a honking pile of chips , you can call/raise bout anything. If you are low on chips - yes , it is wise to be selective.
  • Shove wide in the late game
Again , this would depend on how the cards have been flopping out for me , I try to pay attention to how they are falling out .
  • Play many hands after bubble has burst
Good advice, even for the spin and go's which I play a lot of
  • Table selection is vital
Yes , it is vital, except sometimes we don't have a choice , online you get changed to tables that aren't the best . :)

Great points,and a good list for the not to experienced players that want to get started !

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great tips and advice. I find its the lower stakes that are harder to win because of very loose players. Great job.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I did not have any strategy to play Low-Stakes SNGs.
I will try to apply all of them because I need to stick on guideline to push forward my play.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like Collin Moshman's videos and totally agree with his advices in this video. I'm using it on my game but I play freerolls and it's useful there too. Also, agree that pocket pairs are good hands to shove. People sometimes limp them and I think it's a mistake.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you Collin Moshman for your tips and advice. I have been playing a lot of SNG and I have some ideas about the game and the strategy. But it has been very interesting to get an experts view on the game.

H

headsuphyperDOTcom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just came to say that Collin I love your heads-up book. I hope you will write a sequel in the future.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Good tips for playing sit n go: How to make increases with your strong hand early, this will make most players make fold and make it easier to win the pot; the very important position; be selective before the bubble but after it has exploded play many hands and be more aggressive; shove wide the last stages especially if there is no project on the table that can tear down your strong hand. I think that if we apply these tips we would do better in sit n go games

Last edited:
zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great and important tips for sit-n-go tournaments.How your advice would have helped me when I started playing!The most important aspect is how I think to play a lot of hands after the bubble burst !

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Thanks for the tips Colin. I would like to see a heads up SNG hyper turbo article in future if you would be so kind.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I generally don't play SnGs, but this is good advice for any MTT as well, or even cash games (table selection and position). When putting these tips into practice, I would say just remember to adjust your play to the table and the particular tendencies of your opponents (assuming you have reliable info on them).

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great video. Short and to the point which really keeps people’s focus for those less Han 5 minutes.

Great advice throughout and helps people refocus how they play sngs.

I think the most interesting point is the reminder that after the bubble and particularly when heads up that it’s important to play really wide as you are investing in every hand because of the blinds.

Thanks Colin and CC

BB

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
thank you for explanation, hope that fulfilling these rules will help me in game. I always get in the way of the wrong hands. and it seems to me that the rival bluffs in most cases, but it is terrible to check.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone! I'm definitely reading all of the comments here and really appreciate all the nice words.

Bentley and Shanest, great feedback and we've got some heads-up related content coming for sure :)

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
exelents tips,i played 20 SnG 45p 0,25c en PS and i make 11 ITM and 2 wins thanks to your tips,I know is a low number but is a greate result.
Just playing foward my stronghands and raising them and loking the better spots(possition) to make my muves.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exelent tips i have played 20 45p 0,25c SnG in PS and i make 11 ITM and 2 wins,is a relative low amount but very good results thanks to your tips. Just playing foward my strong hands and looking for good spots(possition) to make my muves.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the great advice, Colin. I don’t like playing SnG tournaments, but I’m sure that they will be useful to me in the future!

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Nice tips for SNG! I'm not big fan of SNG, but this is very helpful info and I'm gonna have this on my mind... :)

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're loving Collin's breakdowns of our strategy articles, and there's no better one for Collin to go through than our "Beating Low-Stakes SNGs", since he is our resident SNG poker expert!

In this video Collin goes over everything you need to know to beat the SNG. From early game to late game strategy, it's all here. Watch the video and let us know your strategies for SNG poker, or what you learned from watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8wDtIh-D4
after whatching the whole video , i learned many things to improve my skills on the game , and bigt hanks to Collin Moshman for the golden tips . i will definitely use thoses tips in my game .

Last edited:
PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Video is a good introduction to sng/mtt poker.

The first three points I agree with. Could add in addition to playing in position what you are trying to do is not to put yourself in tough spots.

Points 4 (Shove wide in the late game) and 5 (Play many hands after bubble has burst) I do not agree with. You should stick with your game plan and play starting hands accordingly while taking to account any itm spots and also adjusting your ranges bet sizing for stack size and table size.

The bonus tip is good. You must always play games you comfortable with. You should also be familiar with the structure.

Here is a tip from me: When playing an online multi-table sng or mtt when the game gets down to around 3 tables left you should open the other tables and game lobby. This way you can keep an eye on the action not only for reads/tendencies of other players but you can easily keep an eye on the shorter stacks and pay jumps.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Great Video is very true what you said I have been studying a little more SNGs this is just perfect ad I can say the thing that made me improve is the first tip ''Raise stronger with premium hands'' I've been practicing a lot to master and beat the Micros sadly right now I've been really busy working on My other carreer (being a slave from monday to friday working 8 hours :( hehe) right now I think I need to work on my heads up game ... thanks for the Video!

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Collin is awesome,even his voice is motivating for me! I like all his tips from this video and I advice everybody to keep it in mind while playing poker and winrate will increase exponently!Thanks a lot Collin!

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Maybe I can do that things. Really great advices! But, what about our implied odds when we have more than effective 100bb? We can call a lot of hands even out of position I think.

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice and quick video. A good refresher, something I know a month ago I didn't consider was folding AJo from UTG in the beginning of the tourney, a lot of hands I thought were obvious opens simply aren't in early stages of the tournaments. It has been great for me to improve and am always seeking more possibilities to learn thanks for all the content.:cool:

C

Coherent16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for this. Was very informative