To chop or not to chop (apologies to Shakespeare)

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently played a live tournament, where 3 out of the 4 of us remaining at the final table wanted to chop (it was getting late). The chip leader didn't. So we continued to play. I was lucky to get to heads up play with the player who hadn't wanted to chop earlier. I again asked if he wanted to chop. He was still the chip leader and said he didn't want to chop. Again, we continue to play. Then I won a big hand and had the decisive chip lead. He immediately asked to chop.

This made me wonder about chopping and the different approaches to it. When is it worth doing? Under what conditions would you chop at a final tournament table (live or online)? Or are you a "never chop, play to the end" player?
well with that guy I would tell him to eat :poop:

but depending on my chip stack and those left I would make a deal to ensure a decent payoff.
if 3 or less I would want to divide the money but leave a token amount extra and play it out for the win.
if they wanted to quit then I would need to be declared the winner :giggle:

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In my opinion, it all depends on your stack and desire to continue the tournament; if the number of chips is approximately the same for all players, then I am for Chopping.

mammadduke

mammadduke

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn’t chop at the final table. i’m too much of the I want to win first place kind of player, just for the joy😂 . and if I don’t, that’s OK too, but Im gonna finish the game.. may the best hand win

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always like to play till the end if there is good interest in the game, surely I can chop in a not important game for a reason like "it's too late and i want to sleep". But if it's a big game then I wouldnt ask to split even if i'm the shortest stack. I like discipline in poker, there is a prize pool, go for it. I also don't like late registration in online tournaments, it also feels like low discipline...

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think there are 4 reasons to chop-

1. You believe you are at a skill disadvantage
2. You need to go/have other things you need to do/value the time more than the remaining prize money
3. Its life changing money to you
4. You are getting more in the chop than an icm chop - ie you are getting more in the chop than you deserve
I started to name reasons when I read this answer. Exactly reasons I thought about, can't formulate better probably.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it will depends on how are the table, chip leader, other players stacks and how big is the prize money for the first positions.

gillbates21

gillbates21

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
i usually say no to chopping, but i would consider chopping if the money is better than usual

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If they offer me a deal, I'm ready in principle. But the deal must be fair, fair for all participants. I think this function, that is, the possibility of concluding an deal, which is valid for example on pokerstars, is very good, it is a pity that it is not available on other sites.

billibooo

billibooo

thudlife
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I recently played a live tournament, where 3 out of the 4 of us remaining at the final table wanted to chop (it was getting late). The chip leader didn't. So we continued to play. I was lucky to get to heads up play with the player who hadn't wanted to chop earlier. I again asked if he wanted to chop. He was still the chip leader and said he didn't want to chop. Again, we continue to play. Then I won a big hand and had the decisive chip lead. He immediately asked to chop.

This made me wonder about chopping and the different approaches to it. When is it worth doing? Under what conditions would you chop at a final tournament table (live or online)? Or are you a "never chop, play to the end" player?
I have never chopped in a live tourney, but I did once after many hours of play agree to play the next hands all in blind until a winner was declared. <3 When I lost the hand I asked if I could use my rebuy :p lol I did not want to for real but there was a moment to be funny and I took it :p

I will chop online if everyone else wants to and it seems level. Idk sharing is caring :p

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you don't master the game very well at the final table, a chop could be convenient, but if you feel at ease and don't have much pressure in terms of money, you can go all the way without chop or make a deal.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a chopper. Unless there is life changing money at steak. If it is a $5 tournament, then forget it.