To chop or not to chop (apologies to Shakespeare)

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently played a live tournament, where 3 out of the 4 of us remaining at the final table wanted to chop (it was getting late). The chip leader didn't. So we continued to play. I was lucky to get to heads up play with the player who hadn't wanted to chop earlier. I again asked if he wanted to chop. He was still the chip leader and said he didn't want to chop. Again, we continue to play. Then I won a big hand and had the decisive chip lead. He immediately asked to chop.

This made me wonder about chopping and the different approaches to it. When is it worth doing? Under what conditions would you chop at a final tournament table (live or online)? Or are you a "never chop, play to the end" player?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will never chop, if I feel, there is one or more significant worse players on the table. I typically also wont chop, if there is a very short stack, since that player is likely to bust soon anyway. This also include me being the short stack. I will never chop in a PKO, since players need to play out for the bounties anyway. I will often chop with 2-3 players left in a regular MTT, if its been a long session already and I feel, we are all just about equally skilled. I play online, and its an absolute rarity, that chops are agreed between more than 3 players.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
I would chop if 1. and 2. place get same money + bounty included in the game...😀

I rarely chop - Shakespeare is always on my mind...😉

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I make it simpel ,I never chop reason: I dont want it to interfear with focus on bringing my A game to the table.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happened online where 3 of us remained, the 2nd stack offered to chop. The chip leader didn't. With 3rd in stack, barely hanging on, & there is a chance to increase winnings, I acknowledged to chop. It happened live & in HU, villain offered to chop. With a chip lead, I declined. Based on actual experiences, I don't initiate a chop but if its on the table, I will declined with a chip lead but would accept otherwise. Unsure if this holds in the future. When in the actual situation, you will get a feeling on what to do & you would be able to decide by then.

Last edited:
Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends. If there is enough money involved and when i feel like people play a lot better than me and stack sizes are similar i would be willing to chop.

In cardschat freerolls and general in freerolls i decline every chop possible and if i would chop (which will never happen) i would ask for more than icm or chip chop 😅

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
In this case, a lot depends on the situation. What is the stack, how many players are left, in which tournament (freeroll or any other) are you playing online or live. Actually, there are quite a few reasons for me. I can't answer unequivocally. I make a decision on the spot on a case-by-case basis.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Some people say that when you play a tournament, you play to win, not to end up splitting.
I personally don't mind chopping under certain circumstances, for instance if we are 5 or less left, having played for many hours and having relatively the same stacks. But I would refuse if I have a huge chip lead unless they accept an ICM chop.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I've done it when we get into a situation where we all have about 15bb and are close to each other in stack sizes. (Especially if we are well past dinner time.) If there are 3 remaining, do you really want to put 1st place vs 3rd place money on the line with coin flips? Just take the 2nd place money and get some food.

That said, the rooms that do "chip chops" based on your current stack size negate that imbalance issue.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Guys, for the sake of the rook's nest: don't chop it in the heat of the moment

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
I chop as soon as possible if it makes sense mathematically.

The reason: so I can quit the tourney before it becomes a push-or-fold lottery and play some cash games instead.

Many players overestimate their edge when the blinds get high and stacks are shallow.

If I get more money than my chips are worth I take the deal immediately.

Last edited:
Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
The right action for me is the one that gets me the most money off the table. If all things considered chopping is the way to go, then that's what I'm going to do.

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I normally like to chop, shortens the game and reduces variance.

But I won't as long as there is a very short stacked player.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To me, it depends on a few factors. Depends on the type of tournament, how big, the prize amounts, and how long we've been playing. I've chopped before when I was the chip leader, between 4 of us. They wanted to chop evenly, but I was a BIG chip leader, and had nearly half the stack. So, I said I'd chop if I got a little more, since I had a big chip lead. And they agreed.

seiya1989

seiya1989

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The only reason I would cut would be if the money to do it is worth it, otherwise I will always play to the end

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I just don't like it lol.... I know time is money so sometimes it's to my advantage to chop and move on to the next game but generally I like final table play and I especially like short stack and hu play sooo I would have to be pretty short to even consider it, unless it's a bracelet/title event then forget it we're playing!

Last edited:
Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I recall a few years ago Debi was on one of her trips to Vegas & when they got down to 5 or 6 players they decided to chop. Debi, as best I can recall was chip leader, but when the money was divided she ended up getting paid as if she had finished 4th or 5th. She may recall the explanation given after the fact, but I recall thinking it was pretty rinky dinky for Vegas. Lesson learned would be make sure you understand how chop is going to be distributed before agreeing.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I sometimes like to chop and it makes sense not agreeing when you're chipleader...but since you asked in HU to chop and he refuses and later asks himself just because he lost a big pot I'd say no for sure !
Actually an audacity that he asked later lol.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I recently played a live tournament, where 3 out of the 4 of us remaining at the final table wanted to chop (it was getting late). The chip leader didn't. So we continued to play. I was lucky to get to heads up play with the player who hadn't wanted to chop earlier. I again asked if he wanted to chop. He was still the chip leader and said he didn't want to chop. Again, we continue to play. Then I won a big hand and had the decisive chip lead. He immediately asked to chop.

This made me wonder about chopping and the different approaches to it. When is it worth doing? Under what conditions would you chop at a final tournament table (live or online)? Or are you a "never chop, play to the end" player?
I hope you didn't chop and that you made him pay for his stubbornness, with your HU game I assume you took the title. :)

Depending on the situation I may chop, I don't mind chopping.

(y)

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I rarely chop as i like to play to the end for the experience.
The funniest story was with 4 of us left and the leader had 90% of the chips. We all knew each other and the leader was the least skilled of us and a nice guy and was on a heater that night. On break we decided to chop 2nd, 3rd, 4th money and he could take the win. I think it was the only win he ever had.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a fan of chopping n general as it's usually based on a point in time and not indicative of the overall skill of the remaining players. Someone could have just won a huge pot and chop, making an argument for more of a payout. However, I have and will continue to agree to chop for the bubble, basically paying the bubble player back their buy-in

Mart1194

Mart1194

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's easy to ask to cut when you're at a disadvantage. Which is clearly what happened to the boy.. In other words, while he was the chipleader, he didn't want to, then he was at a disadvantage and changed his mind? Rsrs. But I don't particularly like to cut either

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are 4 reasons to chop-

1. You believe you are at a skill disadvantage
2. You need to go/have other things you need to do/value the time more than the remaining prize money
3. Its life changing money to you
4. You are getting more in the chop than an icm chop - ie you are getting more in the chop than you deserve