Can't even double...

C

ChemfromUKR

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
When I start playing in an MTT tournament, I play tight at the beginning of the tournament, waiting for cards. But very often it is impossible to even double, the reward does not come at all, for example, for 100 hands dealt (or it comes 1 time and of course no one pays), and the stack burns...

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
When I start playing in an MTT tournament, I play tight at the beginning of the tournament, waiting for cards
That's exactly the opposite of the suggestions.

When you're deep, you can call behind profitably with speculative hands like suited aces, pocket pairs, etc. to try to make nutted hands.

Huntre

Huntre

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If something goes wrong, based on your opinion, maybe it time to do some changes..

J

jack12de

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
At the beginning of a tournament you can also play hands like 98s or perhaps 86s or jto if you are in good position and it is cheap

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When I start playing in an MTT tournament, I play tight at the beginning of the tournament, waiting for cards. But very often it is impossible to even double, the reward does not come at all, for example, for 100 hands dealt (or it comes 1 time and of course no one pays), and the stack burns...
But tournaments are different. There are some in which you can, or even have to, play tightly, but there are also some where you have to play a much larger range of hands and generally play more aggressively. Maybe you just need to expand your range of hands a bit, I think it can pay off, and of course you also always have to consider the format and structure of the tournament.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Try to read about open ranges and open sizes, and observe how the ranges changes from different possitions on the table. Once you're familiar with it, do the same with the 3 bet (re-raise). There's a lot of free info about it online, even here in the cardschat course.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Going into any tourney with the mentality that you're going to only play premiums in order to double up off them is a bad way to play.
Do some learning about ranges, post-flop play, positioning and calculating hand odds/impled odds.
There's an incredible amount of information on these topics here at CC.
I'd suggest experimenting with these concepts as you learn them in a low stakes or freeroll environment as to not bust your bankroll while learning how to implement new tactics. It will take a while so focus on one thing at a time. Maybe start with a wider opening range. Then mix in a different positional calling range preflop.
Take notes and record experiences. Also, if you're able, post hand histories here in the Hand Analysis section so you can give your thought process and get feedback on how to optimize your play in that situation. There are a lot of great minds here that are more than willing to give feedback and advice

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
they said correctly above, when you have an even larger stack, you can open your hands wider and not expect only strong hands

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I sympathise with the OP - it's amazing ow many times I have AA in the big blind and everyone folds! I have to assume that it is indicative of the fact that a lot of players wait for an Ace, at all stages of a tournament.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You must play by GTO charts, and not only with monsters

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is a difficult game not only mathematically but also psychologically, be prepared for variance, try to expand your range a little at the beginning of the tournament

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello everyone. I have also experienced this situation multiple times, and let me tell you, waiting for a premium hand can be risky as you might lose your stack, and there's no guarantee that you'll actually get that premium hand. I've watched videos to expand my range, depending on my position. And for the past week, things haven't been going so well for me, which makes me wonder how to deal with tilt. I constantly work on studying the range of hands for pre-flop and post-flop play.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Being card-dead sux, so don't be afraid to mix it up a little bit, in other words broaden your starting range, in position mind you. Play some suited connectors like 76, 54, and even a 2-gapper like 85 or 96 (personal favorites) when facing limpers or even min-raises from 2nd-4th seats. And by "playing" I mean raising and 3-betting. A lot of times these players are going to fold to your raise pre-flop.
Mind the stack sizes, don't summon action from a "felting stack" (a stack that can take you out) without some good cards. Only play nice pairs and so on.
If you go to a flop w/these kinds of hands most of the time you're gonna hit something. GL. (y)

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have to take a risk, I hope, the cards don't come, I bet the minimum and take a risk, otherwise your chips will go away

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe you should think about mix your game style. Try to play more aggressively on your next tournaments. I also consider myself a tight player, but when I have position I always play aggressively, you can't wait only for the premium hands to play.