Call or Fold?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to clarify to the other people in this thread:

For sure we can steal with 20 BBs. When there are nits in the blinds we can steal pretty wide in most cases, not this one, where we have a donk on the button who's going to flat.

In fact one of the crucial parts of having the 8-10 BB stack is knowing you need to double because your equity increases so dramatically when you have a raise-fold stack.

20 bbs is about the bare minimum though.

The problem with this stack size is we can't really double-barrel air too often so we'd pretty much give up after a cbet if we get called, or just stick it in on the flop a lot of the times if we get raised.

But with 20 BBs and this hand I'd still pretty much always stick it in as there's too much equity to be lost by bet-folding the flop. At 20 BBs in any tournament, especially a turbo, we're not going to be comfy.

A bit more than 20 BBs I'd just play really tight. 25-35ish BBs is a difficult stack size to play, I'd just cut down on my raise-fold range unless the blinds are passive and playing face up because obviously we're going to be targeted for resteals quite often.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FE only works if you use it. The threat of FE is useless most of the time, especially when villain has you stacked. Your PF raise is just a threat that you might shove, villain might not give a shit about the whole game at this point, and is in the pokercide mode. So you use your FE with a PF shove here, and live with the results.

Last edited:
S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, fair enough, I’m seeing some more logic to a pre flop push given the situation of the player on my left. I said it myself; this guy was a wildcard that liked to overuse his stack and position with the three previous hands and an absolute lack of attention. So you’re right the last thing I want was to be played back at unless I was going to call. However, the all-in is a powerful move against this player and most of the players in this tournament, and most likely I win 4.5K or lose my stack – obviously I want him to call, but that’s probably not going to happen to a shove – I just don’t agree with a shove in this spot, unless you’re guaranteed action from the loose cannon, although I can understand arguments for it! I still do not like the blanket “always shove” response for reasons that I cannot possibly explain in this post, and really, if I miss played the hand or am not capable of playing poker to your vastly superior level Buadib1 then fine, but really I just want to know, for future reference if AJ was good – and even that’s kind of stupid because we’ll never know will we?

This particular player changes the whole game and in light of him and hind sight, a shove may have been the right play. However, 9/10, I just don’t like it, 50K, on this table, was not far below the average stack. +EV maybe the case with this AJ, though I still have time to go at least on more lap and who knows what +EV may come up – I will concede that from position I probably should have shoved this hand – I still don’t really like it, and I thought I could accomplish the same thing by risking far less – obviously I was wrong as those who are infinitely more intelligent, and generally just better human begins, than me have so eloquently pointed out.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ok, fair enough, I’m seeing some more logic to a pre flop push given the situation of the player on my left. I said it myself; this guy was a wildcard that liked to overuse his stack and position with the three previous hands and an absolute lack of attention. So you’re right the last thing I want was to be played back at unless I was going to call. However, the all-in is a powerful move against this player and most of the players in this tournament, and most likely I win 4.5K or lose my stack – obviously I want him to call, but that’s probably not going to happen to a shove – I just don’t agree with a shove in this spot, unless you’re guaranteed action from the loose cannon, although I can understand arguments for it! I still do not like the blanket “always shove” response for reasons that I cannot possibly explain in this post, and really, if I miss played the hand or am not capable of playing poker to your vastly superior level Buadib1 then fine, but really I just want to know, for future reference if AJ was good – and even that’s kind of stupid because we’ll never know will we?
It's stupid because it's irrelevant

This particular player changes the whole game and in light of him and hind sight, a shove may have been the right play. However, 9/10, I just don’t like it, 50K, on this table, was not far below the average stack. +EV maybe the case with this AJ, though I still have time to go at least on more lap and who knows what +EV may come up – I will concede that from position I probably should have shoved this hand – I still don’t really like it, and I thought I could accomplish the same thing by risking far less – obviously I was wrong as those who are infinitely more intelligent, and generally just better human begins, than me have so eloquently pointed out.
There's actually a good oppurtunity in this thread for you to learn some pretty fundamental stuff... but really, it only seems to be you who is blocking yourself (imo) I'm done with this thread (waste of time)

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m extremely sorry for wasting your precious, invaluable, and absolutely omnipotent time!

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m extremely sorry for wasting your precious, invaluable, and absolutely omnipotent time!

I think he said it was a waste of time and you seem to be srefusing to accept the basic principles that people are trying to point you towards so they're just wasting time.

TBH you've responded to most replies like a nob. When people have said something against how you played the hand you seem to have taken offence to it (such as AJ has more equity than 22) and every reply seems to be aggresively defending what you did or just a nobbish reply like the one I've quoted here. I think I'm done with this thread as well.

Folding in Poker