Call all in on a flush draw

F

Forkliftgu22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you call an all in for most of your chips of your chips in MTT on a flush draw on the flop?

I’ve done it a couple of times usually doesn’t work out for me.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Would you call an all in for most of your chips of your chips in MTT on a flush draw on the flop?

9 outs on 2 streets is about 35% to hit. So I'm guessing that it works out for you about 35% of the time. (It just doesn't feel that way because of negativity bias.) That means you are only going to complete it 1/3 of the time. So mathematically, you need about 2:1 on pot odds. So what is the "all in" that you are asking to call?

If the pot is 100 and I'm being asked to call 900... no, I'm not doing that. (1000:900 = 10:9 < 2:1 ❌).
If the pot is 100 and someone shoves for another 10... yeah, that's fine. (110:10 = 10:1 > 2:1 ✅).
If the pot is 100 and someone shoves for another 100... there's your borderline. (200:100 = 2:1 ≈ 2:1 🤔)

Event if I have the pot odds to call it, I have to take into consideration what it might cost me. If I have 110 chips left, how will I feel with those remaining 10 chips in the 2/3 chance that I don't hit it? That would be kind of a deal-breaker on your tournament. I would be less likely to want to take the chance. OTOH, if I am 1000 deep, those last 900 remaining is still a playable stack, right? Sure, I'll call the shove then (given the pot odds).

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a 35% chance of improving a flush draw to a flush from the flop to the river. This is about 1 time out of 3. It depends on the situation and the number of participants in the distribution and the type of tournament. If you have an A in a flush combination or the likelihood of making a high flush and there is only 1 opponent in the hand for whom you can get a knockout and stay in the tournament, most likely YES. If your goal is to win and you do not play often, then you can choose a more favorable situation for winning.

amartimes

amartimes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on if someone is close to ITM, or is there bounty related, how many people after you etc., I agree with you most of the times it does not work out.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
In my tournament playing piece, whenever I have a flush there are players who say straight or Full House, letters a relationship that carries a sequence Even though the chance you hit the flush always has a superior hand that beats you, yes, I match a flush with the highest card. I usually pass to make a double bet. When someone, well, they loved you because I have nothing.:)

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is no definite answer here, a lot will depend on the stage and format of the tournament, in tournaments with knockouts, if this opponent is given a big bounty, then of course here we will play for a stack more often

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes I would call all in. It has happened to many times that I try to build the stack and get beating by the turn river combo with a full house. If I would have gone all in then perhaps I would have made the person think twice about betting.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It will depend on the moment, the amount of chips, your position and the aggressiveness of your opponents, I'm on the bubble, or close to the final table, I would bet, not all inn

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
If you are a short stack you can of course move all-in. However, if you have a lot of chips then you have to calculate the pot odds to see if it will pay off.

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This rarely works for me, when it does it's great but when I'm going to bet on a flush draw I prefer to do it with high cards or a game already, to have an extra chance to win, instead of relying only on the flush chance.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on many factors, stack size, position in game,etc but when you feel the mojo ya have to do what ya have to do.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are still sure that your Flush Draw will be successful, you should allow yourself a little cautious bluff, and if your opponents somehow show their insecurities in their own hand, take initiative - raise, and sometimes even all-in. It all depends on the size of the stack, the stage of the tournament and its type.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On freerolls this is not a problem and then I look at my chances for further play. A tournament for money, I probably rarely go to this.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
9 outs on 2 streets is about 35% to hit. So I'm guessing that it works out for you about 35% of the time. (It just doesn't feel that way because of negativity bias.) That means you are only going to complete it 1/3 of the time. So mathematically, you need about 2:1 on pot odds. So what is the "all in" that you are asking to call?

If the pot is 100 and I'm being asked to call 900... no, I'm not doing that. (1000:900 = 10:9 < 2:1 ❌).
If the pot is 100 and someone shoves for another 10... yeah, that's fine. (110:10 = 10:1 > 2:1 ✅).
If the pot is 100 and someone shoves for another 100... there's your borderline. (200:100 = 2:1 ≈ 2:1 🤔)

Event if I have the pot odds to call it, I have to take into consideration what it might cost me. If I have 110 chips left, how will I feel with those remaining 10 chips in the 2/3 chance that I don't hit it? That would be kind of a deal-breaker on your tournament. I would be less likely to want to take the chance. OTOH, if I am 1000 deep, those last 900 remaining is still a playable stack, right? Sure, I'll call the shove then (given the pot odds).

what a perfect explanation, the game is pure math and you taught everyone a lesson.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hello, it depends on the position of the opponent, the size of the pool, there are many factors at the time of the tournament.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on so many factors, such as stack size, table position, tournament position, opponent... etc. But yeah, if the odds are in your favor, then sure, let's gamble,

hsimonyan

hsimonyan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest, I do not pay attention to all these mathematical calculations. Yes, maybe I should be wrong, but I'm doing at this moment what I feel, so to speak what the heart commands, if you feel that you should call or go all in, then you don't have to hesitate, JUST DO IT, regardless of the pot and regardless of your stack.:cool:

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
To be honest, I do not pay attention to all these mathematical calculations. Yes, maybe I should be wrong, but I'm doing at this moment what I feel, so to speak what the heart commands, if you feel that you should call or go all in, then you don't have to hesitate, JUST DO IT, regardless of the pot and regardless of your stack.:cool:
Ok... how about this. If you give me $1000 for the opportunity, we will flip a coin. If it's heads, I'll give you $1010 in return. If it's tails I keep your $1000.

Don't pay attention to all the mathematical calculations—just go with what your heart commands!

Full Flush Poker