Busted Bankroll

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best advice I can offer is to not get attached to your bankroll on PS. I use BRM from a different perspective as I'm fortunate to have a job and other streams of income.

Simply put, I see how far I can go with my poker budget for the month and I review that performance, month after month. I don't dig into my salary when I go bust. It helps me keep a level head and detach my emotions when the absurdity of the PS downswing hits.

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best advice I can offer is to not get attached to your bankroll on PS. I use BRM from a different perspective as I'm fortunate to have a job and other streams of income.

Simply put, I see how far I can go with my poker budget for the month and I review that performance, month after month. I don't dig into my salary when I go bust. It helps me keep a level head and detach my emotions when the absurdity of the PS downswing hits.
It will cause big motivation problems especially regarding studying.

T

tmsr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just realized I'm down to 5 cents on PS, guess it's time to play a couple of 2 cent SnG lol

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its deffinitely an issue on bankroll managment. There are no precise rules for everybody. What you need to know is that the lower the amount of buyins you have, the greater the risk of going broke, even if you are a winning player. The amount of buyins should depend on your risk aversion.

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I Have 200$ In my Boot. Lol . Hey at least You're Rounding Again. Lol Dont Worry they even go bust in The Movies. Then Mike Makes all the Money Back. You will be fine. Get someone to Stake you fir a bit. Lol. Good Luck At The Tables!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, after withdrawing half your bankroll, then going broke, you're a winner!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for everyone's input, I've always worked on a 20 buy-in BR, but it seems this is more than a little outdated. I guess when I used to play the games were a lot softer and winning was easier. I will re-load for 100 buy-ins and work my way up from there again.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you decided to output, then it was necessary to do so and not play. And most importantly, you did not observe the bankroll rule and therefore lost everything quickly.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play satellites to tournaments 0.55. They are cheap, not more than 0.08. Bankroll will grow.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your bankroll should be 100 times bigger than one tournament buy in

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think you withdrawed too early. You should leave the money in, and continue for higher buy-ins! This could change the downswing or reduce it. You would play in another level.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the first time ever, I just busted my bankroll.

I've been back playing poker for a couple of months, playing exclusively heads up SnG's. When I logged into my Stars account, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had $16 in my account, so I started playing $1.50 heads up games. Instant success over the next month, I played about 80 games, with a win rate of 61%. This was more than profitable and I ran my bankroll up to $40. I decided to withdraw half my BR and continue playing at the same stakes. Coincidentally, my down swing started the next day. 30 games later and I have $0.63 left in my account and no buy-ins left.

I've always said I don't believe sites are rigged or have cash-out curses or whatever, but the timing is horrible. I haven't decided whether to deposit again, or freeroll myself back to a few dollars. Going to take a few days away from the tables and then decide.

I never played HU SnGs so I'm not sure About a decent bankroll Management, but if you Play 1.5$ tournaments with a 16$ bankroll, it's only a matter of time until you bust.
with 10x buy-ins it depends too much on luck, you should have at least 50x or better 100x to avoid going broke on a single downswing.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to get a bankroll back is to play freerolls. And again you can increase your bankroll with the help of your heads-ups.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
As others already mentioned, your bankroll was not big enough for the buy ins you were playing.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm addicted to multitasking, and spent approx 7 years playing poker for living, started with free $50 bankroll provided by some other poker forum for learning articles and passing the quiz and managed to increase it to $800 in my first month. Step by step I've got bored and tired of spending my lifetime for such money making. The good side is that i kept studying during these 7 years of online gambling in very different fields, like mechanics, aquaponics, hydroponics, chemistry and so on, and before poker I was web programmer and designer... had a small web studio and paid salaries. I think that the main reason for quitting poker was because I'm not the boss and only poker site owner is the real boss, and all of the winnings are something like a slary for rake that i've been generating. Felt myself uncomfortable about it.

At some point, approx 4 years ago I've cashed out really large part of the bankroll and bought a garage with a plan to make it a workshop, bought tools, machines and also ordered a big laser cutting/engraving cnc machine from China, it arrived 3 months later and I've won 1st places in couple of MTTs before it came and had same money in the bankroll, but I kinda had no serious goals and no experience in working with tools... When that 1st CNC machine arrived it was disassembled, and after putting all parts together I've realized that I can create CNC machines on my own just buying necessary parts... So since then I've crafted and sold approx 20 CNC machines, routers, plasma cutters, foam cutters and lathes. Haven't done any laser cutters yet and not going to make such trash as 3d printers... Well maybe organic 3d printer is something interesting for the future. At some point I've stopped selling machines in order to not create competition at my local market... And I create and sell wide range of objects using routers/lathe/plasma and so on. Last and this summer I've been selling kitchen furniture, hired guys for installation and assembling, while all I do is just drawing 3d models in the evening together with playing some freerolls, then I make g-code program using 3d model and feed machines with that g-code so they can cut/engrave things for me. Once started, engraving process is fully automated, and it's a perfect job. I really like it, cause I make things, useful things for people, something you can touch... My main instrument is brain + hands, instead of mouse+HUD in poker... It's much more fun to spend a day cutting wood logs, then welding metal, then painting engravings and talking to people that i've hired.

What is better? TO keep 20K as a poker bankroll = numbers on the screen... OR to invest 20K in such machine, and turn $5 wood into 12 statutes, $40 each, during 8 hours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgCDiGfegVo

Or to engrave such flat panels with 3d relief for walls or furniture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVvWJTnBoAc

As for the poker part, during this winter I'll pay serious attention to poker related theme and most probably will open online shop with poker related souvenirs, prizes, card protectors and maybe exclusive poker tables.
So far I've already made some poker-related items last winter, but haven't continued this direction, cause had to concentrate on things that giving me stable profit, while these poker gifts are just an idea for the startup.

IMG-20190121-034953.jpg

IMG-20190121-034942.jpg

IMG-20190121-035035.jpg

IMG-20190121-035021.jpg

IMG-20190121-035008.jpg

IMG-20190121-034924.jpg

and so on.. well maybe I've made like 20 things, including some statues and wall clocks related to poker, but they all are not finished, not polished not painted and oiled. But the main thing is that I made 3d models for these items and will be able to produce any amount of such items in the future.

I like the smell of oak wood in the workshop in the morning instead of browsing for fishy tables in the poker client. Feeling myself much better, however can't say that I earn more than I used to earn playing poker, but today I have a choice, I can start playing poker seriously again while machines are loaded with work, cause all I have to do is to wait while they work. But still, i see many much more interesting ways to spend time with possible high profit thatn playing poker each day. Maybe next year will spend some money for good equipment and will start posting new videos at the youtube channel... I've quit it cause without professional camera, lights scenario writing, directing and editing the video - it won't work well.

That's my story.

I want the CardsChat one! :)

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want the CardsChat one! :)

:eek:

Debi, I'll ship 3 of these as a gift, if you will order something else. But first I need to finish my furniture orders and then get back to carving new poker items and do the finishing job for items that has been carved already, i think i've got more than 20 unique carvings, haven't counted them. Most of them are palm size or little bigger, but I've also designed big things like dish plates, wall clocks, 3d paintings and furniture... all related to poker...

So far everything that I've made is just carvings in wood, these carvings have to be polished, painted, covered with oil, and let them dry. I do it as a hobby and have it as a startup idea on my mind, cause i see no competition in this field. Do you know any stores with poker or gambling related souvenirs and decorative items?

Can you please tell me, what is the good price for the items on my photos? And what is the good price for such table?

It's not my work, but I can make one, even better than the one on the video.

J

jrpressley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You looking for honesty? Might be both. I don't have as much faith in online as i do live. Might be I'm biased since i manage much better live. But taking that away poker is about losing with profit. Your thinking what the hell does that mean. Well if you pay the pot and don't go to showdown you lost. If you loose 50% of your show downs you lost. If you won more profit in the other half that's your gain. So you don't have to win every pot. But need to be more profitable when you win. Hope that makes since.

Pretty sure we are on the same page. You need to win big when you win, which means heads up sngs are a losing game. Because when you win, you don't even double your money. To make money in tournaments you have to play in a field of 6 or more players, and don't just rely on sngs all the time, but give yourself a chance to win big in some occasional mtts.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like if your stakes are lower yes. Specially if you multi table. And online i can see why.

I play live 15/30 , 800 buy in every Saturday. Been playing this level for five years. I'm comfortable and see no need to step up. Few years back i decided once i hit 20 grand i would split profits, half i spent other half to br. Its around 27 grand now. Was thinking someday i go big just never did with family and all. I like my job helped.

By your calculations i should have br of 80 grand. Even when i have downswing im looking at 31 weeks of buy ins. If i go that long on a swing then i need to retire completely. Not to mention i can go to lower buy in at anytime. I dont think the boys at the table would mind if i dropped in stakes.

Playing these stakes live - and yet you still find time to BUST me out of the CC intertops freeroll every week!! LOL

What stakes do you commonly play online BigPappa?

Tr0pik

Tr0pik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, i think is best game is when you have 90-100 buy in.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you need at least 40 buy in to you dont have problem about variance. I think that between 70 and 100 buy ins its better because if you have a downswing, this dont disturb your bankroll.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management