Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For the first time ever, I just busted my bankroll.

I've been back playing poker for a couple of months, playing exclusively heads up SnG's. When I logged into my Stars account, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had $16 in my account, so I started playing $1.50 heads up games. Instant success over the next month, I played about 80 games, with a win rate of 61%. This was more than profitable and I ran my bankroll up to $40. I decided to withdraw half my BR and continue playing at the same stakes. Coincidentally, my down swing started the next day. 30 games later and I have $0.63 left in my account and no buy-ins left.

I've always said I don't believe sites are rigged or have cash-out curses or whatever, but the timing is horrible. I haven't decided whether to deposit again, or freeroll myself back to a few dollars. Going to take a few days away from the tables and then decide.

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Things hapens.
With 0.63$ You can still play.
S&G 0.02$, 0.10$ etc.
Spin&Go 0.25$
You can even play cash game, there is Limit Holdem 0.02/0.04 where min. buy-in is 0.20$.
Dont give up, try micro :)

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like normal variance to me. 20$ to loose on 1,5$ is almost certain swing. You need 100$ for 1,5$ games

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It looks like normal variance to me. 20$ to loose on 1,5$ is almost certain swing. You need 100$ for 1,5$ games

Exactly. All poker players experience downswings, and the recommended bankroll for heads ups SnGs is somewhere between 50 and 70 buyins, depending on who you ask. So a 100$ deposit seem right on the money to me. Also there is no "withdrawal curse" on pokerstars. I have withdrawn funds from the site several times, and have not run any worse (or better) afterwards.

A quick note on the game format. I read somewhere, that research show, that heads up SnGs are the game format, where new players have the shortest average survival time. And its not difficult to understand why, because they are a bum-hunters heaven.

Basically a "shark" sit down on an empty table and wait for pray. The other "sharks" down join, because they dont want to be playing shark vs. shark, so the games become almost 100% shark vs. fish at least at the higher limits.

I think, this is part of the reason, why poker sites invented Spin n Gos. With 3-4 player and random seating rather than a traditional lobby, the "sharks" can not avoid each other, and this is better for both the poker sites and new players.

If OP truly enjoy this game format, ok whatever, at least as long as he is playing 1,5$ SnGs. But its something to consider, if you are planning to move up. At least you should then probably learn to do, what all the other sharks do, and avoid tables, where a shark is already sitting.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the first time ever, I just busted my bankroll.

I've been back playing poker for a couple of months, playing exclusively heads up SnG's. When I logged into my Stars account, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had $16 in my account, so I started playing $1.50 heads up games. Instant success over the next month, I played about 80 games, with a win rate of 61%. This was more than profitable and I ran my bankroll up to $40. I decided to withdraw half my BR and continue playing at the same stakes. Coincidentally, my down swing started the next day. 30 games later and I have $0.63 left in my account and no buy-ins left.

I've always said I don't believe sites are rigged or have cash-out curses or whatever, but the timing is horrible. I haven't decided whether to deposit again, or freeroll myself back to a few dollars. Going to take a few days away from the tables and then decide.

Welcome to the club, most of us been there!
Bankroll Management is the key.
It worked well for me, some people say that my bankroll rules are too tight.

Below are the minimal requirements.

- x30 buy-ins for each cash table you're playing at the limit, if you want to play x4 tables at a time, then you need to have 120 buy-ins.

- x100 buy-ins per 1 window (table) of MTT/SNG.

I've followed this bankroll for approx 7 years, worked well for me.
LOL Not following it anymore, cause not taking poker seriously anymore, but such management helps.

I would say that if you want to start playing 1.5 HU games seriously, then you need a $1K as a starting bankroll, constantly play 4 games at a time, not less than 100 tourneys per day in total and have a stop limit set before each session. Time limit or number of games - it depends on you. But you need to be concentrated on the game, not on the money. So far, since you've said how much you've cashed out :))) it looks like that you're under money pressure, it will make your gameplay worse, and with each loss your tilt level will increase and as a result you'll be making inadequate moves in further games.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to the club, most of us been there!
Bankroll Management is the key.
It worked well for me, some people say that my bankroll rules are too tight.

Below are the minimal requirements.

- x30 buy-ins for each cash table you're playing at the limit, if you want to play x4 tables at a time, then you need to have 120 buy-ins.

- x100 buy-ins per 1 window (table) of MTT/SNG.

I've followed this bankroll for approx 7 years, worked well for me.
LOL Not following it anymore, cause not taking poker seriously anymore, but such management helps.

I would say that if you want to start playing 1.5 HU games seriously, then you need a $1K as a starting bankroll, constantly play 4 games at a time, not less than 100 tourneys per day in total and have a stop limit set before each session. Time limit or number of games - it depends on you. But you need to be concentrated on the game, not on the money. So far, since you've said how much you've cashed out :))) it looks like that you're under money pressure, it will make your gameplay worse, and with each loss your tilt level will increase and as a result you'll be making inadequate moves in further games.

Do you have any threads why you gave up playing poker seriously? I see you still play some but nothing like the volume it sounded like you use to play.:captain:

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have any threads why you gave up playing poker seriously? I see you still play some but nothing like the volume it sounded like you use to play.:captain:

I'm addicted to multitasking, and spent approx 7 years playing poker for living, started with free $50 bankroll provided by some other poker forum for learning articles and passing the quiz and managed to increase it to $800 in my first month. Step by step I've got bored and tired of spending my lifetime for such money making. The good side is that i kept studying during these 7 years of online gambling in very different fields, like mechanics, aquaponics, hydroponics, chemistry and so on, and before poker I was web programmer and designer... had a small web studio and paid salaries. I think that the main reason for quitting poker was because I'm not the boss and only poker site owner is the real boss, and all of the winnings are something like a slary for rake that i've been generating. Felt myself uncomfortable about it.

At some point, approx 4 years ago I've cashed out really large part of the bankroll and bought a garage with a plan to make it a workshop, bought tools, machines and also ordered a big laser cutting/engraving cnc machine from China, it arrived 3 months later and I've won 1st places in couple of MTTs before it came and had same money in the bankroll, but I kinda had no serious goals and no experience in working with tools... When that 1st CNC machine arrived it was disassembled, and after putting all parts together I've realized that I can create CNC machines on my own just buying necessary parts... So since then I've crafted and sold approx 20 CNC machines, routers, plasma cutters, foam cutters and lathes. Haven't done any laser cutters yet and not going to make such trash as 3d printers... Well maybe organic 3d printer is something interesting for the future. At some point I've stopped selling machines in order to not create competition at my local market... And I create and sell wide range of objects using routers/lathe/plasma and so on. Last and this summer I've been selling kitchen furniture, hired guys for installation and assembling, while all I do is just drawing 3d models in the evening together with playing some freerolls, then I make g-code program using 3d model and feed machines with that g-code so they can cut/engrave things for me. Once started, engraving process is fully automated, and it's a perfect job. I really like it, cause I make things, useful things for people, something you can touch... My main instrument is brain + hands, instead of mouse+HUD in poker... It's much more fun to spend a day cutting wood logs, then welding metal, then painting engravings and talking to people that i've hired.

What is better? TO keep 20K as a poker bankroll = numbers on the screen... OR to invest 20K in such machine, and turn $5 wood into 12 statutes, $40 each, during 8 hours?

Or to engrave such flat panels with 3d relief for walls or furniture?

As for the poker part, during this winter I'll pay serious attention to poker related theme and most probably will open online shop with poker related souvenirs, prizes, card protectors and maybe exclusive poker tables.
So far I've already made some poker-related items last winter, but haven't continued this direction, cause had to concentrate on things that giving me stable profit, while these poker gifts are just an idea for the startup.

IMG-20190121-034953.jpg

IMG-20190121-034942.jpg

IMG-20190121-035035.jpg

IMG-20190121-035021.jpg

IMG-20190121-035008.jpg

IMG-20190121-034924.jpg

and so on.. well maybe I've made like 20 things, including some statues and wall clocks related to poker, but they all are not finished, not polished not painted and oiled. But the main thing is that I made 3d models for these items and will be able to produce any amount of such items in the future.

I like the smell of oak wood in the workshop in the morning instead of browsing for fishy tables in the poker client. Feeling myself much better, however can't say that I earn more than I used to earn playing poker, but today I have a choice, I can start playing poker seriously again while machines are loaded with work, cause all I have to do is to wait while they work. But still, i see many much more interesting ways to spend time with possible high profit thatn playing poker each day. Maybe next year will spend some money for good equipment and will start posting new videos at the youtube channel... I've quit it cause without professional camera, lights scenario writing, directing and editing the video - it won't work well.

That's my story.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have busted my bankroll about 30 times. I am not going tobuy in for a while. Low stakes games are so hit and miss. Need lots of luck

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep a bankroll of 100 buy-ins per limit and everything will be fine:)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, you could use a few days ' rest. No matter how many books you read about bankroll management, it all comes down to one thing.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bust my bank roll all the time good job i dont really rely on my poker skills or luck for that matter. I am sat there with the better hand someone calls with nothing then rivers the only card they can possibly hit to beat me. Seems to happen an awful lot recently. Am i a bad poker player or is it just a bad beat situation.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it happened with me many times. Now i´m playing freerolls

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need stricter BR managment because a small swing and you lose your bankroll, 100 BI is pretty alright i think, for your stakes its - 150$

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bust my bank roll all the time good job i dont really rely on my poker skills or luck for that matter. I am sat there with the better hand someone calls with nothing then rivers the only card they can possibly hit to beat me. Seems to happen an awful lot recently. Am i a bad poker player or is it just a bad beat situation.

You looking for honesty? Might be both. I don't have as much faith in online as i do live. Might be I'm biased since i manage much better live. But taking that away poker is about losing with profit. Your thinking what the hell does that mean. Well if you pay the pot and don't go to showdown you lost. If you loose 50% of your show downs you lost. If you won more profit in the other half that's your gain. So you don't have to win every pot. But need to be more profitable when you win. Hope that makes since.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is the worste feeling ever to hve a busted bankroll lol.

I

IRONMAN3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep a bankroll of 100 buy-ins per limit and everything will be fine:)

:shakehand:shakehand:shakehand:shakehand:adore:
so right about it !
if everyone follows this rule nobody would loose his bankroll.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:shakehand:shakehand:shakehand:shakehand:adore:
so right about it !
if everyone follows this rule nobody would loose his bankroll.

Seems like if your stakes are lower yes. Specially if you multi table. And online i can see why.

I play live 15/30 , 800 buy in every Saturday. Been playing this level for five years. I'm comfortable and see no need to step up. Few years back i decided once i hit 20 grand i would split profits, half i spent other half to br. Its around 27 grand now. Was thinking someday i go big just never did with family and all. I like my job helped.

By your calculations i should have br of 80 grand. Even when i have downswing im looking at 31 weeks of buy ins. If i go that long on a swing then i need to retire completely. Not to mention i can go to lower buy in at anytime. I dont think the boys at the table would mind if i dropped in stakes.

danix

danix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$ 20 to play SNG $ 1.50 doesn't give you a colleague! It really breaks. Now you can play freerolls to try to build a new bankroll and pay more attention to bankroll management.

L

Lehrstunde1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you can always turn things around, when you don't it's all on you.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$ 20 to play SNG $ 1.50 doesn't give you a colleague! It really breaks. Now you can play freerolls to try to build a new bankroll and pay more attention to bankroll management.

Depending on OP financial situation, the other option is to actually make a reasonable deposit like 100$ to get started. I guess, it also depend on, how he value his time. I can think of better things to do than playing freerolls to try and build a very small bankroll that way. It is going to take forever and does not develop you as a player.

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
everyone goes bust at one point

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such coincidences are psychologically at the subconscious level. Also the truth is the modern poker field is rly strong and you need br 1 to 200 or more to have good odds to increase your bankroll. Even fishs won't give money easily. In tilt I had down streak ~70bi without tilt it was 20-25bi.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such coincidences are psychologically at the subconscious level. Also the truth is the modern poker field is rly strong and you need br 1 to 200 or more to have good odds to increase your bankroll. Even fishs won't give money easily. In tilt I had down streak ~70bi without tilt it was 20-25bi.

This is also a good point. Especially heads up poker is largely solved, so good luck trying to find edges against those regs, who have spend the time to work with programs like PIOsolver, learned push-fold charts and so on.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management