bubble delays

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is it when people get down to getting close too the money, they start delaying the game? looks like these poker rooms would give 10 seconds max and then fold your hand.Some people just run out the clock usually 60 seconds.

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They do it in order to increase the chance of "just" making it in the money. Unfortunately because so many are doing the same thing and/or playing super cautious, it usually doesn't work. All it serves to do is stretch 10 minutes into an hour.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's never made any sense to me! :dontknow:

They're just trying to stall into ITM but it's flawed logic in my opinion.

You want to see as many hands-per-hour as possible, the more hands you get in before the level goes up the higher your chances are of picking up a premium hand with which you can build your stack with and go for the win.

Also, if you're confident, you want to play more hands rather than less because you expect your opponents to make more mistakes than you do and you want more opportunities to capitalise on them... :wink:

Or....

Just bleed out time-banking each hand, get a min cash with naff-all (not very many) chips and more often than not bust out with lowest ROI possible? :marchmell

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Standard tactic used by all when short stacked and close to the money bubble.

By using the clock other people at other tables may get KO'd before you do, hopefully that way you end up in the money.

:top:

J

Justashot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I find it quite annoying as well. Its an understandable tactic though, even if it is disliked.

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah everyone is doing this. But it also gives you better reads on opponents and the opportunity to abuse their passiveness.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is a time and place for doing this but I cant help but laugh at how many people continue to time down when its hand for hand play. It dont matter how slow you play then. LOL

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Probably because sometimes such manipulations allow the player to take prizes. Obviously, this can be used, and I myself sometimes resort to such methods, especially in very fast tournaments.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to see as many hands-per-hour as possible, the more hands you get in before the level goes up the higher your chances are of picking up a premium hand with which you can build your stack with and go for the win.

But the more hands, you see, the more blinds and antes you need to pay as well. So its not a "free lunch", and ONLY "going for the win" and completely ignoring min-cashes is not the optimal MTT strategy, when around 30% of the price pool is distributed right there on the bubble.

Also, if you're confident, you want to play more hands rather than less because you expect your opponents to make more mistakes than you do and you want more opportunities to capitalise on them...

True but if you are a short stack or a middling stack in a disadvantagous situation with the chip leader on your left, its really difficult if not impossible to have enough skill edge, that seeing more hands is actually advantageous near the bubble. In the ideal world you would usually prefer, if your table just stopped playing, until the bubble had burst, and you had that min-cash locked up :)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is it when people get down to getting close too the money, they start delaying the game? looks like these poker rooms would give 10 seconds max and then fold your hand.Some people just run out the clock usually 60 seconds.

So when I first played online - I thought this was a legitimate technique to ensure that I got into the money and didn't lose out to a short stack sitting out.

But actually what I have found is that the faster I fold or play my hand (within reason) then the more hands we see at that table.

When players see more hands then there is an increased likelihood of player1 waking up with AQs and player2 waking up with TT and so on - until players are knocked out or their chip stack is severely crippled.

If players run the clock as a habit near the bubble then that is against the rules on ACR.

Good luck !

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
But the more hands, you see, the more blinds and antes you need to pay as well. So its not a "free lunch", and ONLY "going for the win" and completely ignoring min-cashes is not the optimal MTT strategy, when around 30% of the price pool is distributed right there on the bubble.

True but if you are a short stack or a middling stack in a disadvantagous situation with the chip leader on your left, its really difficult if not impossible to have enough skill edge, that seeing more hands is actually advantageous near the bubble. In the ideal world you would usually prefer, if your table just stopped playing, until the bubble had burst, and you had that min-cash locked up :)
The more hands you see faster, then the more hands you see at the lower blind/ante level.

If you stall and time bank then you are seeing less hands at the lower blind/ante level, because the blinds go up.

More hands at a lower blind level or less hands at a higher blind level seems like a pretty obvious choice when short stacked to me!

Not in a million years will anyone ever convince me that stalling/time-banking is good or beneficial in any way, shape or form.

It's flawed logic and is bad for the game, that's my opinion and not even someone as eloquent and awesome as you will be able to convince me otherwise my dear fundiver!

Max time-banking just isn't a legitimate poker strategy, sorry! :dontknow:

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These players hope that players will be eliminated on other tables and thus survive the bubble. I don't think much of this way of playing. If only one player has to be eliminated then they will wait until all the tables have played their hands anyway. So nobody is disadvantaged. Everyone plays the same number of hands. At least then it doesn't make sense to play for time. I see it pragmatically either there is another hand with which I can push or I push with each hand when I only have 3 BB left. If it isn’t enough then it shouldn’t be and I plan to survive the bubble next time

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
This is done by many people, sometimes I do it (except when the tournament is hand for hand), but only when I have few chips, to try to get to ITM, some get annoyed or even consider the players as bad players or something like this, but in the end they are strategies that can be applied to obtain certain results

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nah, it's not a legitimate strategy. :)

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If all tables play at the same speed, then the short stack has no advantage from stalling. This is why many tournaments play 'hand for hand' near the money bubble.

However, if some tables play faster - then that increases the odds of the short(er) stack(s) busting out on those tables that play faster - and thus increases the odds of the person stalling making it into the money - and thus at least min cashing.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am one of the shortest, I also use this tactic. I see nothing shameful about it.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will often "hand for hand" play at this stages, meaning every table has to complete a hand before dealing another one. So there is often now advantage to doing this.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will often "hand for hand" play at this stages, meaning every table has to complete a hand before dealing another one. So there is often now advantage to doing this.

The advantage is gained from stalling, before the tournament goes into hand for hand mode. Like if 27 places pay, then maybe when 35 or 30 players are left. The closer to the actual bubble the greater the potential advantage. Obviously its plain dumb to stall, when the tournament is in hand for hand mode, and I have never done that intentionally.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The advantage is gained from stalling, before the tournament goes into hand for hand mode. Like if 27 places pay, then maybe when 35 or 30 players are left. The closer to the actual bubble the greater the potential advantage. Obviously its plain dumb to stall, when the tournament is in hand for hand mode, and I have never done that intentionally.
This is a great time to scoop up chips to make the final table and can make the difference between cashing 2x and a much larger payday.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a great time to scoop up chips to make the final table and can make the difference between cashing 2x and a much larger payday.

Only if you are one of the table chipleaders. In all other situations its a great time to play as few hands as possible, because chips lost are way more valuable than chips won. This might not be very sexy or macho or cool, but its a simple mathematical fact. It might also be advantageous to play lots of hands near the bubble, if your opponents play that part of the tournament horribly badly like folding way to much. But while you might like to think, that your opponents are absolutely terrible, most likely the majority of them are not :)

TheIpS

TheIpS

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes, when I see that an adequate good player, someone has beaten with a worse hand, and he has a short stack left, and he is taking time to get into the prize zone, I also play for time helping him.