Bounty tournaments

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's say you are in a bounty tournament and the guy to your left is on the short stack, Let us say that you have 40BB and he has <10 BBs, he goes all in. Do you open up your range because there's more money and chips on the table?

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Let's say you are in a bounty tournament and the guy to your left is on the short stack, Let us say that you have 40BB and he has <10 BBs, he goes all in. Do you open up your range because there's more money and chips on the table?
I think there are at least some other factors we need before this decision. Firstly, if the guy to our left has gone all in, we have already acted. So if we've folded, then the question is redundant, so I'll discount that. So therefore we must have limped or raised. If we have limped, we should have considered that he may go all in as he is short. If we didn't expect that, then maybe he is very tight....in which case maybe widening the range is not a good idea.

If we already raised say 2.5x, then we only have 7.5 to call a minimum pot of 14bbs. So we're getting close to 2/1 pot odds.

Finally how big is his bounty? And what stage are we? If the bounty is small, and we have limped, then I don't see a reason to call. If we have raised and his bounty is worthwhile, then clearly its a much better play.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Obviously yes - why to even play bounty things when you dont even go after other people's head ...

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion it's not enough just to have a bigger stack. Especially if it's not the heads up.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, with the middle hand, I would call and I think I have at least 46% to win if he doesn't have a pair of hands above the KK so it's a great call unless you have a weak hand of course

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
In such situations, I make a decision more easily than if it were the other way around, and whether I play depends on what information I have gathered about the player. If I concluded that the fish is in most of the situations, I will increase the card range.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As a general rule yes, but base your decisions on the circumstances and information available in each instance/spot.

A big factor for me will be my impression of how that particular opponent has been playing, I.E. my perception of their range Vs my holding.

The size of their bounty and stage of the tournament is relevant and worth considering too I suppose.

In my experience you have to be aggressive and speculative in PKO and bounty tournaments at key moments, especially when there are multiple bounties all-in and you have them all covered.

For me, I’ll call in spots when there are two, three or more bounties all-in and I have them covered even when I know I’m behind but perceive that I’ll have a reasonable equity (even just live cards) and this is a key reason that I play these types of tournaments much more aggressively and always strive for the table chip lead and to accrue as large a stack (and as many bounties) as possible.

This approach generally serves me well, I frequently achieve the overall chip lead in the tournaments I play and have managed to take down and finish 2nd, 3rd etc in PKO’s with 4-5k runners.

Disclaimer:~ I have zero fear of dropping from tons of BB’s down to 5-15bb when there is a worthwhile reward against the risk and relish the challenge of spinning it right back up when it doesn’t work out. If you’re not confident with short stack play in the same way it might serve not to be quite as LAGGY… 😙🎶🎵

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just like a bounty hunter, but you are not the only one, you should take into account other players, what kind of position, and what effective stack is also of great importance