Bluffing in tourneys!?

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually don't bluff unless there's two of us and im first to act or it's checked down to the river

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bluffing all your chips when you checked the ace first time I would have called you if I had a hand.:):):)

R

rproctor5076

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my strategy for bluffing is i will usually 1/2 pot c bet early on the flop take it down or maybe double barrel or triple (not whole stack tho) but usually if they are actually calling you the whole way especially if they are flat calling which usually means they are up to something and r trying to trick you pretty bad and when u see paint and aces with no pair just is a judgment call for you but if your repping a weak hand with no action coming from you early in the hand they can sniff that out

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to be thinking about what the other players are perceiving, if your bluff isn't credible as above then they're very likely to call. But.. there is a time when it is credible if your a massive stack at a table and your betting has been intense, they're likely to fold then as it's sink or swim for they're stack and you have so many resources.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's a multiway pot and villain is holding AJ+, on a QAX board, villain's generally not gonna be betting themselves. They'll be hoping to check with the intention of check raising or to float on the flop, and then check on the turn with the intention of check raising on the turn. If you also had any Ax hand, you would do the same.
So logically, villain knew that it was either a semi bluff to a draw, or a complete bluff.
Therefore it's not optimal nor exploitable for you to jam on the flop.

Last edited:
ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is a system where it must begin post flop in my opinion

The action can't just check around until the river and then try bluffing after all the cards are laid out

That's why majority of the people who start the bluff commit from post-flop all the way until the river (three barrel - post flop, turn, river)

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
Of course bluffing is good

But the when and how matter too

So you can’t just shove everything just bcoz you decided to bluff.

Well too bad you went all in too.

Bluff convincingly and don’t go all in.
Bluff 2-3 BB if you want to test your opponent.
You can always fold to a reraise
Thank you

O

onlynuts19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play on the same table for about 1 hour you can guess when it's time to bluff or not

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
it's hard for me to judge without seeing the entire hand, maybe you bet too much and your bet looked exactly like a bluff !!! also much depends on your image at the table, passive or aggressive, and on the number of chips !!! I try to bluff as much as my opponents allow me to do so everything depends on them)))

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with your concept in bluffing in connection with the hand you have been representing. Any bluff is subject to being challenged, however, so my only advice is to protect your stack, back off with a call, and fold to a raise. Good luck.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so yesterday I tried to rep an Ace after it paired on the river and lost all my chips
I thought it's a reasonable move since everyone checked on the flop it was three player and I'm in the middle position. there was a betting on the turn I had KJ and the flop had QAX
why is it a bad move if it is? when should one bluff at tourneys? should we play without big bluffs generally at tourneys?
I know it's not a very believable line since I checked and then called the bet

The bluff has to have a believable story and the line has to make sense from an outside perspective. You definitely have to have big bluffs in your arsenal to win tourneys. The check call wasn't a bad start it's the Ace on the river that screwed you. From an outside perspective the odds you had an ace after it paired on the river went down immensely. No river ace and your bluff very well might have gotten through. Also there is an old saying that if your bluffs always get through then your not bluffing enough lol.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think you can succeed without bluffing.
Especially in online tournaments where the blinds rise very quickly. You have to be able to win at least some chips here and there during times where you are dealt only weak cards or do not hit with the good ones...

It is my experience that a lot of people fail with their bluff because they bet too much. It seems to me that more people will fold to a bet that is not too high. Make it look as if you wanted to make sure you will get a caller.

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You blew the bluff and just catch a shark you have to learn to bluff to win tournaments

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
One of the poker pros said that if your bluffs always win, you are not bluffing enough. LOL.

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It only pays off when it comes to the big payout tournament at the beginning. Free tournaments do not hurt ...

R

rproctor5076

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think u need to rep the first ace if your gonna rep the second one

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
always that for blefar this situation you have that ve the action of jogodares, se all der limpe and tiver em 3 posições o valor do pote para blefar. todas as vezes que faça isso certo!