Blind on blind in tournaments

G

gofish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have any tips for improving blind on blind play in tournaments? More often than not when I get a decent hand in SB, for example A-J.. I typically nearly always min raise.. yet lately I've come up against many aggressive BB's who continually 4-bet me and I typically end up calling and then missing the flop with my A-J and being forced to fold.

But am I wrong to fold? Will they typically be aggressive like that with a really wide range? Should I be braver in these situations?

I've been playing poker for years but blind on blind is definitely one aspect I still really struggle with in tourneys.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Does anyone have any tips for improving blind on blind play in tournaments? More often than not when I get a decent hand in SB, for example A-J.. I typically nearly always min raise.. yet lately I've come up against many aggressive BB's who continually 4-bet me and I typically end up calling and then missing the flop with my A-J and being forced to fold.

But am I wrong to fold? Will they typically be aggressive like that with a really wide range? Should I be braver in these situations?

I've been playing poker for years but blind on blind is definitely one aspect I still really struggle with in tourneys.

Based on your question, I understand that you just need to take our free course, which will allow you to significantly improve your skills and gain new knowledge. Try it, our course really helps:
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The issue with being in SB is, that you are always out of position postflop, and aggressive players in BB can take advantage of that. Min-raising is usually a bad strategy, because with position they are getting the right odds to call with any two cards, and they can also 3-bet wide. If stacks are deep, you can open to a large size like at least 3BB to get some fold equity. The other option is to limp into the pot, and if they raise aggressive, then hands like AJ are perfect for a limp-reraise, especially if you have a rejam stack like 20-25BB.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to get in mind the concept of range.

When everybody fold and you are in the small blind there is a big range of hands that you can raise. that is the reason why the big blind use to pay more often your open.

If you get a 3bet on SB you should get shorter your range.

If you get 4bet on BB the same, you should have a small ranger to 5 bet all in or call.

of course it always depends in what time in the tournament you are, how much Big Bling you have?

A good adivice is invest in brodways when you are short and suit conectors when you are deep.

Hope to be helpfull with my comentary;

G

gofish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to findiver and oakthygo, I will take your points on board and practice my blind on blind play more.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually you want to shove; limp; or occasionally make a raise to ~3.5bb from the small blind.

Stack off much wider from this position also. For example, if you raise with AJo and the big blind 3-bets you, this hand is usually strong enough to 4-bet and get it in pre instead of calling and hoping to hit the flop.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Much depends on your opponent, especially if he is playing loose, then with a hand like AJ I would 4-bet

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to talk and I really like it. Every situation at the table is very different. It is impossible to accurately describe the correct strategy for the game. A lot depends on the opponent who is against you. You must carefully study who you are playing against at the table, their style of play and features. This is the most important thing in the game.I think you are very well studied and forced to play very poorly with a very good card. Think about it ;) Never be afraid to show the strength of your hand, especially against very aggressive players or more precisely, against players who play a very wide range of hands

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The issue with being in SB is, that you are always out of position postflop, and aggressive players in BB can take advantage of that. Min-raising is usually a bad strategy, because with position they are getting the right odds to call with any two cards, and they can also 3-bet wide. If stacks are deep, you can open to a large size like at least 3BB to get some fold equity. The other option is to limp into the pot, and if they raise aggressive, then hands like AJ are perfect for a limp-reraise, especially if you have a rejam stack like 20-25BB.

Usually you want to shove; limp; or occasionally make a raise to ~3.5bb from the small blind.

Stack off much wider from this position also. For example, if you raise with AJo and the big blind 3-bets you, this hand is usually strong enough to 4-bet and get it in pre instead of calling and hoping to hit the flop.

Collin and fundivers suggestions are strong sound plays, however I refuse to limp - regardless of what pro or solver suggests it as a good play currently.

I will always raise any hand I play in the SB at minimum 2.2x and sometimes I might push it up to 2.4-2.5x. Although I am giving the bb good odds to call and see a flop - that is often my intention, to out play them on all streets, if they choose to continue. Additionally I choose to bet a little smaller than others to give myself good 3bet calling odds, with the hands I choose to continue with.

I have been having some pretty fun/coolerific/amazing SB vs BB hands lately.
In bb I 3bet A/K s to 4x - SB shoves with A/9 o and I take down the pot.

I open 2.2x in SB with A/4 o off of a 15bb stack. BB covers me and he min-3bets me. I shove - a little loosey goosey here - and BB calls with A/K - I bink the 4 and win. :)

I 3bet SB limp to 4x - he shoves I call with my suited A/K and get crushed by AAs. lol

I 3bet and call a 4bet with KK in bb and the flop comes AAK - SB jams for entire stack and we are nearly equal in chips - I make the easy call and beat A/J.

I min-raise 7/5 s in SB bb smooth calls board comes out very nice T77 I check bb checks,
turn is beautiful 5, I bet small bb calls, turn is a Q and I bet bb jams and I call happily - and bb turns over QQs. lol ouch!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the war of the blinds is a whole science, a lot depends on the opponent, on his aggressive play and the protection of the blind, and what statistics do they have for you, how often do you fold in such a situation