Big fold - was it correct?

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you played it exactly right

you can't really shove A8o with 2 limpers ... they could easily be limping waiting on your short stack shove

you were getting a decent price to complete your blind (8:1) and see a flop ... sometimes in tourneys like this you do have to pull the handle on the slot machine esp. when you have an A

of course, the A-rag bit you as it often does ... it may have been just draws you were up against, but how sick would you have been if you called/shoved vs. trips or a better A there ... how much longer did you last in tourney?
how can you think this hand was played "exactly right'
you have a 2% chance of floping 2 pair , so the 8:1 odds are not enough , infact you would need 49:1 if you were calling for that reason
secondly hero hits top pair and then checks ? what is he hoping for?
calling is the exactly worst play here imo, it is the best way to bleed your stack to the point where you lose all fold equity or you bleed your stack to the point where a double up is meanigless because you will be still short stacked.
push > fold > call in that order best play imo
as played good fold

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how can you think this hand was played "exactly right'
you have a 2% chance of floping 2 pair , so the 8:1 odds are not enough , infact you would need 49:1 if you were calling for that reason
secondly hero hits top pair and then checks ? what is he hoping for?
calling is the exactly worst play here imo, it is the best way to bleed your stack to the point where you lose all fold equity or you bleed your stack to the point where a double up is meanigless because you will be still short stacked.
push > fold > call in that order best play imo
as played good fold
you've got implied odds as well

and while you dont have an 8 to 1 chance of making a winning hand, you do have a way better chance than 49:1, pairing the A is a winning hand more times than not there ... if hero is not SB, then i totally agree ... limping with A8o is stack bleeding behavior, but 8:1 price in the SB ... IMO ... i think it is a more than reasonable play when you factor everything in ... afterall we are talking 4% of his total stack ... when can you be short stacked and only have to put in 4% of your stack to see a flop when you are holding an A?? ... that is a bargain

reading it again, i realize now that the betting action occurred on the turn, not the flop ... i could see him checking the flop and maybe looking to check/shove, but he should have bet out on the turn with top pair and nobody betting the flop, so i withdraw that he played it exactly right

anyway, good debate ... ha, i cant play poker at work, but talking about it does hold me over :)

Last edited:
B

bklynsteve

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
shove shove shove

Quite deep in a 500 man live tourney, average stack size is somewhere around 45-50k. I am short stacked with 26k and a very weird hand takes place...

Blinds of 1000-2000. Hero is in SB, two players in MP limp in, SB limps in with Ah8s, BB checks. Flop comes Ac9dJd, checked round. Turn comes 8d. Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 (60000~) bets 4000. MP2 (35000~) shoves.

On this incredibly draw heavy board and the shove into 3 people behind, I decided to give credit to MP2 for having either a monster draw that i would only be about 65% favourite with at most, or a made hand that leaves me with 4 outs or 2 outs. I'm unsure that at my stack size I should be laying this hand down though, but I was so sure it was the right decision. MP2 was very much a shove/fold player so I decided that he was tight enough to not shove ace rag here, and didn't think he was complex enough to focus on MP1's relatively wide range due to being big stacked.

Anyway, opinions welcome.

Stevo
dont know what your definition of deep is and where the tourney was at but if you were even close to cashing i would of shoved pre flop hoping no callers of course at that point and just to get the blinds and antes and to take advantage of the the players playing tight hoping to survive into the money but thats just my thinking
Steve:jd4:

B

bigphatmike

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gf since you didnt commit yourself, but next hand you play you gotta raise or fold no limps and get some good blinds and antes and get it in good

P

peedee91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
o defintely fold.......just wait for a better spot...first of all you shouldnt have limped with ace8 off with that short of a stack.....you shove ace j may call and you got lucky and hit two pair and the drawing hands that would have limped wouldnt have called then you didnt shove when you hit your ace....so fold after two missteps that wouldve won you the pot

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume antes was in play so there 6k in the middle already when it comes to you preflop? This represents like 25% of your stack nearly, I would be shoving this from the SB..

Shove or fold. You know that further betting is going to take you to or past 50% forcing you to push or fold with a very small stack. Seeing that ahead of the flop gives you a proper choice,

J

JaredHubbard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre.
Turn looks like a standard fold.

Folding in Poker