Best books for tournament

JohnnyF

JohnnyF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dan Harrington on Holdem for No limits tournaments!

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
besides the books carefully observe a tournament from start to finish its greatly improves your game

How to do that?Watch a certain player or a table.If there are hand history's of tourney winners,then that will be great.

M

msh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Tournament Poker for Advanced Players" by David Sklansky

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I need to read a lot of poker literature because it gives the flow of knowledge about poker but do not score on the practice, as without it, the theory itself does not help

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Harrington 1-3 are pretty vital, but he has written a new one "Harrington on Modern Tournaments" and it is way better. That being said, I think it would be hard to fully grasp everything in that book if you hadn't read his first series.

I also liked Jonathan little's 3 part series.

Kill Phil and Kill Everyone also great.

Sklansky's principles are correct, but his writing style is snoozeville for me. Instantly knocks me out.

My favorite poker book of all time (I've read it 3 times now) is "Gus Hansen: Every Hand Revealed" I know he's had a fall from grace, but the book is wonderful and you read through it so quickly! It's a real page turner like a crime novel. He literally takes you through his thought process on every single hand on his way to winning first in the Aussie millions. he ends day 1 short stacked, he explains the hands he folds and why, the hands he floats and why. It's really eye opening. Gave me lots of insight into the LAG style (which I am not, but "know thy enemy")

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a beginner and as such I found that Kill Phil was first that helped me, cause 1) it is simple 2) strategy works.
Now I can play and simultaneously study more advanced strategys without rush.
What do you think about Moshman ?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far the best books for me is Harrington books.

Its so detailed just like a chess book.

N.B. Harrington was once a chess master.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far the best books for me is Harrington books.

Its so detailed just like a chess book.

N.B. Harrington was once a chess master.

Book already no longer relevant for online poker , the game that described ( tight passive style ) Harrington even microstakes not win..It is necessary to read the literature of authors who play online, such Collin Moshman or Lee Nelson..

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Book already no longer relevant for online poker , the game that described ( tight passive style ) Harrington even microstakes not win..It is necessary to read the literature of authors who play online, such Collin Moshman or Lee Nelson..

Harrington is very much tight AGGRESSIVE not tight passive.

T

TinskiM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone can suggest a good poker books to win a tournament online? All this books you suggest they are outdated today for the people who play online. I do not need to read how to observe other player (I do not see him).

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone can suggest a good poker books to win a tournament online? All this books you suggest they are outdated today for the people who play online. I do not need to read how to observe other player (I do not see him).

if youre interested in playing online tourneys then traditional books are not the way to go.

you want to use training videos, IMO. like cardrunners, run it once, upswing, jonathan little

L

lyndap

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Suggested Reading

The Poker Tournament Formula

Oliver Wayne

Oliver Wayne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Harrington series.
There are quite good books.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dan Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A Good book for tournaments and small stakes cash games is one name: Mastering Small Stakes No Limit Holdem: Jonathan Little. Currently reading it and I can say it's made a tremendous impact on my game

Shalarin

Shalarin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read so many poker books..my opinion is: the more you read the more bad you play. I prefere learning by playing, reading interesting articles in the internet and threads about hand-analysises in forums. But there is one book I really really like. And this is : the poker mindset..very very nice

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've read so many poker books..my opinion is: the more you read the more bad you play. I prefere learning by playing, reading interesting articles in the internet and threads about hand-analysises in forums. But there is one book I really really like. And this is : the poker mindset..very very nice

I both agree and disagree with this.

I think it's true that, yes whenever you are learning something new there is a period of time after that you are implementing it suboptimally and it temporarily reduces your skill edge and results for a variety of reasons.

But you're also implying that you can learn poker well enough by just playing and I disagree with that. Aimless splashing around is not enough to become good at poker. there may have been a time many years ago (before internet forums and youtube and twitch) where simply seeing enough hands and paying attention to what the winning players were doing was enough....those days are long gone though.

I think this is true for anything, BTW. I was a competivite snowboarder and I had a solid bag of tricks that I could do well and land almost 100% of the time. Anytime I tried to learn new tricks I had days where I was falling and maybe even getting injured and then when I started to get the hang of those new tricks I'd bring them to a contest and the odds were increased that I would crash and lose. But also, if I didn't learn new tricks I was never going to keep up with the other girls and keep winning in the long run.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonathan Little "Secrets of Professional Tournament Poke" and his analysis of hands "Crushing small stakes" are very good

3cent

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
+1

I both agree and disagree with this.

I think it's true that, yes whenever you are learning something new there is a period of time after that you are implementing it suboptimally and it temporarily reduces your skill edge and results for a variety of reasons.

But you're also implying that you can learn poker well enough by just playing and I disagree with that. Aimless splashing around is not enough to become good at poker. there may have been a time many years ago (before internet forums and youtube and twitch) where simply seeing enough hands and paying attention to what the winning players were doing was enough....those days are long gone though.

I think this is true for anything, BTW. I was a competivite snowboarder and I had a solid bag of tricks that I could do well and land almost 100% of the time. Anytime I tried to learn new tricks I had days where I was falling and maybe even getting injured and then when I started to get the hang of those new tricks I'd bring them to a contest and the odds were increased that I would crash and lose. But also, if I didn't learn new tricks I was never going to keep up with the other girls and keep winning in the long run.

so true.
coming from a pro in sports, applies on anything worth achieving .

thank you